What's the farthest/shortest shot you've made.

mowin

500 yds has some real drop and wind influence with any caliber. 
Ex. 6.5 creedmoor (great ballistics) still has a 33" drop and 17" drift from 200-500yds with a 10mph crosswind.

Not if your sighted in dead on 400yards. I don’t know what Jerkman was sighted in at so he would have to confirm.

When I go west, I’m dead on at 300yds. So it’s basically 3” high at 100yds and 4” high at 200yds (still rising), and only about 8” low at 400yds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just now, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Not if your sighted in dead on 400yards. I don’t know what Jerkman was sighted in at so he would have to confirm.

When I go west, I’m dead on at 300yds. So it’s basically 3” high at 100yds and 4” high at 200yds (still rising), and only about 8” low at 400yds.

I get it Biz, but it still leaves a lot to take into consideration.  You sight in that far, and you need to adjust for shorter shots and you still have very significant wind drift with mild wind.  My point is that it takes some real experience to shoot 500 plus.  Its not just aim and shoot.  Then again, at least around here, there really is no need.

Longest about 400 yards on an antelope.

Closest- my memory is not that good. Lots of small game at a few yards, some deer in archery couldn't have been more than 5 yards, numerous hogs with a handgun or slug gun from a few paces that had been mixing it up with dogs.

32 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Biz what caliber did you use 

Where are you guys practicing 300plus yard shots .

Edited by sbuff

I get it Biz, but it still leaves a lot to take into consideration.  You sight in that far, and you need to adjust for shorter shots and you still have very significant wind drift with mild wind.  My point is that it takes some real experience to shoot 500 plus.  Its not just aim and shoot.  Then again, at least around here, there really is no need.

Yea, I agree it’s not needed for this area. Wind is always a factor at least in Wyoming. I don’t think I’ve ever seen wind under 20mph there. I don’t do a ton of a shooting. I usually hit range before a trip out west and make sure I’m right at 100yd and 200yd. If it’s 300yd I hold dead on. Anything longer you just trust the ballistics card and is just a feel thing (top of back, a little daylight between, etc.). I only took 1 shot at that distance so I can’t vouch for much more other than trusting the ballistics. I shot 1 antelope at under 100yds so I just aimed a tad low and shot was perfect. Everything else has been 100-280yds.

• Like 1

Biz what caliber did you use 
Where are you guys practicing 300plus yard shots .

7MMWBY Mag. See above post. I just make sure I’m right at 100 and 200 and trust ballistics that I’m dead on at 300. I shoot with a Caldwell lead sled so I can’t blame the gun if i miss. I haven’t shot a rifle since my last trip out west in 2014. I’ve never been a range guy unless I’m going on a trip. I find shooting at targets to be very boring (bow or gun).

On deer:

Compound bow: farthest - 30 yards, shortest - 10 yards

Crossbow: farthest -59 yards, shortest - 13 yards

ML: farthest - 175 yards (I made that shot but was unable to recover the deer due to a poor tracking job and bad assumption of a "miss"), shortest - 15 yards

Smooth-bore Shotgun / foster slug: farthest - 120 yards (shot hit a little low and a second "finisher" was required, shortest - 3 yards

Rifled Shotgun / sabot slug: farthest - 163 yards, shortest - 25 yards

Rifle: farthest - 300 yards, shortest - 50 yards

I must be losing it I still dont see 7mmwby mag in above post Biz, any how .

It must not be for me, I just don't think I could take a shot at that distance  without practicing sufficiently several times over and over. Not to mention what may be behind the target .

I'm going to check some BC when I get home for curiosity. 

Bow sample size is small; 15-25 yds so far. I'm very conservative at shot selection with a bow.

Long gun....maybe 5 yds with the muzzleloader; shot a springbok at 423 (almost a yard of hold into the wind in very open terrain and plenty of time to figure it out) . Couple chucks closer to 500.

That was a 300RUM with 180 gr load. Was consistently practicing in some hayfields owned by farmer I was buying from and where I took the chucks.

I'd say at most rifle hunting the distances are frequent at 60-150 yds. Some a lot closer, and a few pokes at 300+ here and there. Depends on terrain, cover, species, style of hunt, weather. 

Eastern hunters think anything past a 100 yds is a hail mary; and judging by what I've seen at sight in days here and there, it is.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

When I hunted the wide open spaces out west and up north ( Alaska, northern Canadian tundra) I used mostly my .280 Rem with 140 grain  spitzers at  about 3000 FPS MV.....

At 100 yards I was + 4".. at 200 yards I was  + 4".. at 300 yards I was - 4"....at 400 yards I was  minus 12"....I had these values taped on my rifle stock for years..

These values were achieved by actual shooting groups at these distances...Being a country boy, I had access to  a number of  fields where I could shoot at these distances.. Nearly all of my long range shots were made lying flat on my belly using a Harris bipod..

The sole exception was  shooting 300 yards across a New Brunswick clearcut off hand at a bull moose when I had no opportunity for a rest...It took me 3 shots and still is the luckiest shot I ever made...I never would have done it, but my 300 pound friend/guide  threatened to sexually violate me if I didn't shoot...

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

When I hunted the wide open spaces out west and up north ( Alaska, northern Canadian tundra) I used mostly my .280 Rem with 140 grain  spitzers at  about 3000 FPS MV.....
At 100 yards I was + 4".. at 200 yards I was  + 4".. at 300 yards I was - 4"....at 400 yards I was  minus 12"....I had these values taped on my rifle stock for years..
These values were achieved by actual shooting groups at these distances...Being a country boy, I had access to  a number of  fields where I could shoot at these distances.. Nearly all of my long range shots were made lying flat on my belly using a Harris bipod..
The sole exception was  shooting 300 yards across a New Brunswick clearcut off hand at a bull moose when I had no opportunity for a rest...It took me 3 shots and still is the luckiest shot I ever made...I never would have done it, but my 300 pound friend/guide  threatened to sexually violate me if I didn't shoot...

3000fps? That’s slower than molasses. When I look thru the scope I can’t tell the difference between 250yd and 325yd unless I ranged it. You aim and pull the trigger same as a 20yd shot.

I must be losing it I still dont see 7mmwby mag in above post Biz, any how .

It must not be for me, I just don't think I could take a shot at that distance  without practicing sufficiently several times over and over. Not to mention what may be behind the target .

I'm going to check some BC when I get home for curiosity. 

I meant see above post about practicing. It’s simple math. Guns are capable of way more than a shooter. 4” between 0-300yds means you can aim dead on any distance is between and it’s a dead animal unless you pull the shot. Guys are overthinking it. Just aim on your and pull the trigger. 115yd or 300yd, doesn’t matter

Here’s an easy to read chart. With 300yd as zero (common practice)

https://www.weatherby.com/media/weatherby/ballistics.pdf

I was sighted in at a 200 yard zero. Ideally with my .300wby a 300 yard zero would have been better but I rock a ballistic turret so I have plenty of room. However I ran out of turret around 470 or so then it came down to knowing my gun and my load. The rest was easy

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Like moog said it's the wind drift at long range that stops me from taking them. Just an example from a 7mm rem mag.

7 mm Remington Magnum

7mm-wind-drift.gif&key=0465c65121c327508f42ac65285bdcb58602a5a37ea2a8d192a5f5a21ec95374

Not always perfect left to right though, so what’s 4-8” inches anyway? A tad forward or back that’s all

11 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Not always perfect left to right though, so what’s 4-8” inches anyway? A tad forward or back that’s all

Biz, that's the same thing I tell my wife. Glad someone understands.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

12 hours ago, sbuff said:

Like moog said it's the wind drift at long range that stops me from taking them. Just an example from a 7mm rem mag.

7 mm Remington Magnum

wind drift of 7mm remington magnum bullet

its not even just wind drift that keeps me from shooting that far- too many variables.  A gun on a bench can be shot for hundreds of yards with the right math.  But from a treestand or leaning against a tree isnt the same.  one or two inches off of aim at 100 yards isnt a big deal.  But at 300+ its off by many inches to feet.  Am sure there are capable guys on here to do it, and i am a decent shot with a rifle but dont like hunting with such long shots. Its like shooting the bow - you might be hitting bulls at 20 then backup to 40 and find your 3 inches left.  The farther you go out the more your aim and trigger squeeze have to be perfect.  Am sure lots of guys can do it and under the right circumstances be great at it. If you pull the trigger even a little at 300+ the shot is going to be off by a lot.   But i havent practiced at those yardages so i stay away from them.   

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, sbuff said:

The above post pretty much sums it up for me. Unless you practice over and over .

8inch off is or could be a wounded or lost animal .

If I hunted in areas where the norm was shooting 300-500yds, I would seriously work on it to ensure I am capable.  I would not shoot hat far based on the way I practice now.  But its not needed - at least for me - to kill deer.    Same with a bow.  I have yet to pass on a big buck because he was outside of 30yds or so.  To each their own.