Air Travel With a Pair Of Rifles

What are y'all using to keep your firearms safe and secure during air travel? I'm looking to replace an old Outers double scoped rifle case that I've had since the 80's. I would prefer aluminum w/ wheels , like the ICC 5214AW. I've seen a lot of them in a lot of camps throughout the years, but having a real hard time finding a vendor with them in stock. If I had to go plastic, the Pelican 1750 looks like it gets favorable reviews. Not looking for a one and done deal. I want something that will be as tough and reliable as my old Outers has been all these years and hunts. Additional suggestions greatly appreciated.

• Like 1

I have flown more than a few times with both aluminum (Strong Case, similar to the typical premium aluminum offerings) and Pelican.

I'll still use both depending on what I'm taking and destination since I own them.

But I'd buy Pelican if needing a flight case.

No sharp edges, super durable, never dents or dings, built in place for locks separate from latches.

I had a folk lift wheel/dolly tire mark across a 1700 one trip and other then a black marking from the rubber, case is perfect.

Avoid the cheaper Pelican look a likes; examined side by side they are not even close to the real thing for strength.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Dinsdale said:

I have flown more than a few times with both aluminum (Strong Case, similar to the typical premium aluminum offerings) and Pelican.

I'll still use both depending on what I'm taking and destination since I own them.

But I'd buy Pelican if needing a flight case.

No sharp edges, super durable, never dents or dings, built in place for locks separate from latches.

I had a folk lift wheel/dolly tire mark across a 1700 one trip and other then a black marking from the rubber, case is perfect.

Avoid the cheaper Pelican look a likes; examined side by side they are not even close to the real thing for strength.

Yeah, I guess I need to come out of the dark ages. I was leaning towards aluminum because that has been the extent of my experience for the last 35 yrs or so. My old Outers protected my firearms without even the slightest issue, ever. Been researching the Pelican 1750 and haven't been able to find a bad review. Probably going to take a leap of faith once I find a killer sale somewhere. Father's Day sale, maybe. I have till Oct.

What are y'all using to keep your firearms safe and secure during air travel? I'm looking to replace an old Outers double scoped rifle case that I've had since the 80's. I would prefer aluminum w/ wheels , like the ICC 5214AW. I've seen a lot of them in a lot of camps throughout the years, but having a real hard time finding a vendor with them in stock. If I had to go plastic, the Pelican 1750 looks like it gets favorable reviews. Not looking for a one and done deal. I want something that will be as tough and reliable as my old Outers has been all these years and hunts. Additional suggestions greatly appreciated.
Love my 1750! I opted for the desert tan because I'm a rebel! But in all seriousness I couldn't imagine trusting my gun to anything else

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

8 hours ago, The Jerkman said:

Love my 1750! I opted for the desert tan because I'm a rebel! But in all seriousness I couldn't imagine trusting my gun to anything else

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Good to hear. Thanks for the feedback. I'll probably go with desert tan also.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, eaglemountainman said:

Yeah, I guess I need to come out of the dark ages. I was leaning towards aluminum because that has been the extent of my experience for the last 35 yrs or so. My old Outers protected my firearms without even the slightest issue, ever. Been researching the Pelican 1750 and haven't been able to find a bad review. Probably going to take a leap of faith once I find a killer sale somewhere. Father's Day sale, maybe. I have till Oct.

Still plenty of folks using aluminum. Americase and ICC still sell plenty of product.

This case is a favorite for full length guns and has flown numerous times and I have no plans on getting rid of it. Technically a 2 guns case but I use one half for gear for multi week trips so I can just use a carry on, rifle case+ ammo case as checked bags.(Ammo international has to go separate from rifle; most US carries allow ammo in the rifle case domestic). A bit funky looking in pic as it has some clear plastic film that I never fully removed from manufacturer. I always take a pic for any claim for lost bags just in case of luggage and a pic of the contents before packing. My travel/gun insurance covers a documented loss worldwide.

Here the gun goes in right way up, not on its side. I have foam for 2 rifle and have fit 2 rifle and one sxs shotgun in this case too.

xfiLNtn.jpg

o5B9Wy1.jpg

Just happen to think a Pelican case is a good product for reasons in my previous post, and  factoring in cost also.

Good luck on hunt!