NY ban on cat declawing

Steuben Jerry

I actually agree with NY legislators on something for once. And if Cuomo signs it, I'll actually <gulp> agree with him as well.

https://www.apnews.com/34c581f6a2114a8399a2a187ab8163f6

I was never a cat person and went through 55 years of my life without owing one until someone dumped one on us one summer night a few years ago. We couldn't give her away so we kept her as an outdoor cat. While at the vets office getting her up to code, I learned about how declawing is done. For those who don't know, they basically amputate each toe up to the first joint. Pretty barbaric! 

I'd be ok if the banned cats all together.  i get officers coming to my door if my dogs registration goes over by a month and cats need zero registration and are free to roam the neighborhood and shit in my flower beds every nighnight.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

I'd be ok if the banned cats all together.  i get officers coming to my door if my dogs registration goes over by a month and cats need zero registration and are free to roam the neighborhood and shit in my flower beds every nighnight.

LOL - if ours show up, feel free to keep them Jeremy!

• Like 2

Now those shops just over the Pennsylvania line can add cat declawing to, the fireworks , pepperspray   , magazines over ten rounds , and real  oil based paint, I go there for .

I wonder if this will mean even more cats won’t find a home now .

Edited by Stay at home Nomad
  • Like 4

I got 2 cats. Both of them I carried to scratching post first day and made them do it. They only scratch posts and nothing else. I cut their nails as well. If you start them young it’s no issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Brother had a cat declawed. It was up and about a day after surgery. Strictly an indoor cat. I had 1 cat and I gave him up for adoption at 7 cause I had to move. Never ever touched a thing with his claws and yes............sometimes I miss him a little. 

• Like 2

I am kind of middle of the road...I got caught in the middle of a couple cat fights, (actual kitty cat type) and have scars from thieir claws to prove it. young and foolish. The last cat we had was declawed, and it does certainly make it easier on the furniture and hands. The cat was home and about its normal business by that evening. Note: strictly an indoor cat, as my opinion of a pet cat should be. Outside cats I consider all feral.

In Europe, any pet alteration is illegal in most countries....cat declawing, ear docking, tail docking. The breeder of our youngest Rottweiler  follows German guidelines, and all their dogs are intact...it is cool seeing all these beautiful Rotties running around with a full length rudder! They have a totally different gait then docked dogs. As a result, their kennel was the first American breeder to bring home a championship from Germany. 

So your a cat....would you rather have your claws taken or your balls...lol.  so its ok to castrate one but not declaw it. Better make another law.  The cat balls lobby is prob ready to March on Albany .  It's probably even a matter that cats and dogs would cross the aisle and agree on. Lol

It's fine I guess,  don't want to see an animal hurt on purpose but do we really need another law for this?  Esp with so many other issues to tackle. 

So if they make a law that you can't declaw a cat how far is it a stretch not to hook a fish or shoot a deer.  I always lean towards leariness on these sort of things. 

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Daveboone said:

I am kind of middle of the road...I got caught in the middle of a couple cat fights, (actual kitty cat type) and have scars from thieir claws to prove it. young and foolish. The last cat we had was declawed, and it does certainly make it easier on the furniture and hands. The cat was home and about its normal business by that evening. Note: strictly an indoor cat, as my opinion of a pet cat should be. Outside cats I consider all feral.

In Europe, any pet alteration is illegal in most countries....cat declawing, ear docking, tail docking. The breeder of our youngest Rottweiler  follows German guidelines, and all their dogs are intact...it is cool seeing all these beautiful Rotties running around with a full length rudder! They have a totally different gait then docked dogs. As a result, their kennel was the first American breeder to bring home a championship from Germany. 

Good point !  Surprised tail docking is still allowed.  

1 hour ago, Daveboone said:

Outside cats I consider all feral.

Not all of them. Ours lives in our chicken coop with the birds but will come in to visit. Very affectionate and will crawl into my lap and purr endlessly. Best friends with our foo-foo dog too.

86D7C204-BF41-4942-AB38-1AF1E68097C5.jpeg

I'm not a fan of cats.  A friend of mine adopted a cat back in college that came declawed (front only).  He couldn't keep cats at his apartment so he asked me to sit it for a year.  I had that cat for 12 years until it passed away.  I tried my best to keep him from going outside since he's declawed but he always snuck out at night.  So persistent.  He'll stumble home at 7 in the morning drunk, took a piss in the liter, and then pass out.  He had much more fun than I did.  When he got old, he would come back with marks.  Once time he came back with a tiny piece of his ear missing Evander Holyfield style.  Without the claws he just couldn't keep up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Elmo said:

I'm not a fan of cats.  A friend of mine adopted a cat back in college that came declawed (front only).  He couldn't keep cats at his apartment so he asked me to sit it for a year.  I had that cat for 12 years until it passed away.  I tried my best to keep him from going outside since he's declawed but he always snuck out at night.  So persistent.  He'll stumble home at 7 in the morning drunk, took a piss in the liter, and then pass out.  He had much more fun than I did.  When he got old, he would come back with marks.  Once time he came back with a tiny piece of his ear missing Evander Holyfield style.  Without the claws he just couldn't keep up.

there are so many layers and questions here. i dont know where to begin.

I would never let an animal roam free outside and then come back inside my house. Who knows what it was coming in contact with (rabies, ticks, poison ivy, etc.)

24 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I would never let an animal roam free outside and then come back inside my house. Who knows what it was coming in contact with (rabies, ticks, poison ivy, etc.)

We're living on the edge!!

• Like 1