You Guys With Boats Be Careful Out There

Steve D

There is no way I’d jump from boat to boat like that ,especially at the rear like he did .

If you must , come on the drivers side and use your pike pole to pull throttle back .

• Like 2

Wear a life preserver and use a tethered disconnect switch. The life preserver will probably save you if bonk your head on the way out of the boat; and the disconnect switch will make sure that the boat stops after you're ejected. (ie, the boat won't come back to chew you up). If you're going to play in the waves also make sure the battery is firmly secured and the engine is chained to the transom. I used to do a lot of wave-hopping on Lake Ontario when I was young and stupid with a 14 Boston Whaler. I speak from experience.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, philoshop said:

Wear a life preserver and use a tethered disconnect switch. The life preserver will probably save you if bonk your head on the way out of the boat; and the disconnect switch will make sure that the boat stops after you're ejected. (ie, the boat won't come back to chew you up). If you're going to play in the waves also make sure the battery is firmly secured and the engine is chained to the transom. I used to do a lot of wave-hopping on Lake Ontario when I was young and stupid with a 14 Boston Whaler. I speak from experience.

This was Lake Ontario last week, it was in front of my friends place in Orleans County. I had cam up on time lapse to get some pics. Ton of debris now out in the lake. Be careful out there!

lake 495.JPG

lake 503.JPG

12 minutes ago, mowin said:

Not a boat guy. What caused the boat to whip like that? Didn't see any other wake.  

There was a shallow water marker just to the right of the boat, before they were tossed out. They ran aground. Surprised it didn't take off the lower unit. Always need to be aware, and pay attention while running! Things happen fast at speed.

At least they were wearing PFDs.

My PFD is always hooked into the kill switch via a lanyard, anytime the main motor is running on my bass boat.

I've definitely had a couple close calls over the years. And have witnessed a pretty bad wreck. All caused by not paying attention.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, mowin said:

Not a boat guy. What caused the boat to whip like that? Didn't see any other wake.  

Looks to me like the boat just "skipped". It was up on plane with a very shallow hull, mostly riding on air. When the guy turned the boat it was mostly in the air. When it got back into the water during the turn the drag came alive and threw the two guys out. The hyper-motorized bass boats are like that. It's a lot like a hydrofoil race boat with an inexperienced guy at the helm.

1 hour ago, grampy said:

There was a shallow water marker just to the right of the boat, before they were tossed out. They ran aground. Surprised it didn't take off the lower unit. Always need to be aware, and pay attention while running! Things happen fast at speed.

At least they were wearing PFDs.

My PFD is always hooked into the kill switch via a lanyard, anytime the main motor is running on my bass boat.

I've definitely had a couple close calls over the years. And have witnessed a pretty bad wreck. All caused by not paying attention.

Ok, that makes sense.  I seen that marker, and the passenger pointing.  

What happened is, this idiot put his and his partners life at risk by driving fast in waters he was not familiar with.

How much common sense is needed to drive at a reasonable speed when your in a lake filled with shallow water ??? I can't imagine going to an unfamiliar lake and ripping around at 60... No matter what my graph says. If you watch, right before the crash he adjusts his graph,prob because he couldn't see depth chart.

I won't profile, but in general, the "bass guys" love going WOT from spot to spot. I'm more than satisfied with a top speed of 35. I'd love to see the % numbers on preventable boat accidents.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Very true Andrew. In the video, way before the crash, to his left was a long line of shallow water markers. If he was unfamiliar with that body of water, with all the warning signs, he should have been at just above idle speed.

I very rarely go past three quarter throttle anymore 50mph is fast enough. Even when I know the water very well. Most times someone is with me. I'm responsible for getting them back safely. My eyes are always looking for danger out there. Mostly from other boaters.

Been on other bass boats doing 80 + mph.......with the guy sometimes looking at his cell phone or graph. Scares the spit out a ya!!! I yell I don't want to die for a effing fish! Slow the eff down and pay attention!

Tournaments are the worst for this behavior. The vast majority of the guys are very safe though. But I completely understand why people call us bassholes sometimes.

I also understand how much of a rush it is to skip over the water. Like having a hot car, if you got it you'll want to use it.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, kpkot said:

Just saw on news they are trying to mandate boating class in nys for everyone regardless of age.

Most boaters have no clue , they don’t know what , “ stand down boat “ means let alone , which boat is in a given a situation.

Friend lives on Irondequoit Bay , last time water levels were high and the no wake Law was put into place , friends of his told him they were renting a boat for Forth of July weekend . The were going to tube, bomb around have a fun time , he said ,” you know there’s a no wake Law ?” Their  response was , “ what’s a wake ? “ That’s what you’re dealing with .

Class may be a start , not sure of its affect though .

I have a friend who works on the Sheriffs boat , I’ve ridden with him, actually Forth of July week end as I knew the idiots would be out in full force . Their all about education vs enforcement , which is nice but not sure which would best bring about the desired results.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

I'm actually shocked ,especially in this state ,that no class is required to operate a boat . 

If you operate a jet ski you are required.  Also I believe boaters 16 & under require one. I have the PwC course it wasnt bad I think 8 hrs.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, greg54 said:

This was Lake Ontario last week, it was in front of my friends place in Orleans County. I had cam up on time lapse to get some pics. Ton of debris now out in the lake. Be careful out there!

lake 495.JPG

lake 503.JPG

when i was out 3 weeks ago there were whole trees and stumps just floating in the water, and like way out a few hundred yards off shore even. I can't imagine what it's like now.

14 hours ago, philoshop said:

Looks to me like the boat just "skipped". It was up on plane with a very shallow hull, mostly riding on air. When the guy turned the boat it was mostly in the air. When it got back into the water during the turn the drag came alive and threw the two guys out. The hyper-motorized bass boats are like that. It's a lot like a hydrofoil race boat with an inexperienced guy at the helm.

this is what i'm thinking too. could have been a shallow spot, but in a bass boat i think it's more likely what you said.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kpkot said:

Just saw on news they are trying to mandate boating class in nys for everyone regardless of age.

1 hour ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I dont hate that idea, lots of shenanigans out there on the water. Maybe throw in a chapter on traveling in the left lane while they are at it

i'm super anti-govt forcing anything. Ultimately don't like this idea, but when you really think about it, modern boats are fast and just as dangerous as cars. I could get behind something that required it for larger lakes.