You Guys With Boats Be Careful Out There

Steve D

17 hours ago, mowin said:

Not a boat guy. What caused the boat to whip like that? Didn't see any other wake.  

When you are whipping along a 60+ MPH there is very little boat in the water. Just the very back and the prop. When you are driving a boat at that speed you can't make quick turns if you turn at all. You have to settle the boat back down so when the motor turns the boat bites in the water and makes the turn. What happened to him is he turned the wheel and the body of the boat turned with the motor but didn't turn on the water ever so slightly so as the boat settled down it made a very sharp whipping turn. Hopefully I am explaining that so you can understand it. Basically he tried to turn while there was no boat in the water to turn and when the boat settled back in the water and bit it turned violently. Kinda like riding a wheelie on your bike and landing with your handlebars cranked if you were unable to straighten the handlebars. 

16 hours ago, TreeGuy said:

What happened is, this idiot put his and his partners life at risk by driving fast in waters he was not familiar with.

How much common sense is needed to drive at a reasonable speed when your in a lake filled with shallow water ??? I can't imagine going to an unfamiliar lake and ripping around at 60... No matter what my graph says. If you watch, right before the crash he adjusts his graph,prob because he couldn't see depth chart.

I won't profile, but in general, the "bass guys" love going WOT from spot to spot. I'm more than satisfied with a top speed of 35. I'd love to see the % numbers on preventable boat accidents.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Agreed. My buddy's brother has a bass boat.  Wouldn't fish with him if he was catching mermaids.  Drives like a maniac.  

One spot I fish on the north side of Oneida there is a now a tree stump sticking up out of the water and it's 25 ft deep there.  Trees etc get moved around all the time.  There are shoals out here in the middle of the lake that you can stand on. People are crazy.  My boat goes 30 and that is plenty fast. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Belo said:

i'm super anti-govt forcing anything. Ultimately don't like this idea, but when you really think about it, modern boats are fast and just as dangerous as cars. I could get behind something that required it for larger lakes.

I could have wrote that post , my feelings too .

My daughter took the class at a young age as it was required , it’s a good base. My Sheriff friend taught it and drove her there as well , of course he had to tell her stories about me .... 

He taught the PWC class to many of my co - workers, and would tell them about my water ski spotter .

55578FA2-DFF5-458B-90B7-8BB75975F80A.jpeg

Edited by Stay at home Nomad
  • Haha 3

26 minutes ago, philoshop said:

If the "bassholes" spent as much time fishing as they do racing around to find the next greatest spot they might actually catch something.

Us "bassholes" have already found all the "greatest spots"! The key is to "race" to...... and fish, as many of them as as possible. All while pissing off as many other boaters as possible. Well....except maybe the jet ski's.      B)

Edited by grampy
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, mlammerhirt said:

NYS just hasn't figured out how to get a piece of the pie yet. When they do classes will be mandated for all.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Required by 2020 its required for PwC operation now

Who needs the Boater Education Card?

You need education in New York if you are at least 14 years old and will be operating a PWC or if you are at least 10 years old and born on or after May 1, 1996, will be unaccompanied, and will be operating another type of vessel.

You must be at least 10 years old to take this online course.

You do not have to be a resident of New York to take this online course.

You Must Carry the Card

Vessel operators who are required to have the New York Boater Card must carry the card on board the vessel and have it available for inspection by an enforcement officer. Not carrying your New York Boater Card when it is required can result in a fine.

Reciprocity

For visiting boaters, all states, territories, and provinces will recognize boating education cards that meet NASBLA requirements and Canadian Pleasure Craft Operator Cards that meet Transport Canada’s requirements. (This is known as “reciprocity.”)

Edited by G-Man
  • Like 2