Getting back into cars

WNYBuckHunter

13 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

What tires you run doesnt affect how much power you put down, it only affects how well you can use it. A factory Hellcat with the A8 puts down roughly 620 to the wheels, and without drag radials, you can break the tires loose at just about any speed. Ive done it at 60mph in them on regular tires.

I understand that . It makes a big difference on the longevity of drive train parts LOL. My initial thought was a manual trans would be more fun ,then you mentioned drag racing it and the auto makes more sense. There is a couple guys who are regulars at Lancaster 1/8 mile with hellcats.

19 hours ago, Belo said:

even a street cruiser though. It's annoying to shift when you get stuck in traffic somewhere. plus when you have a beer in one hand and a cell phone in the other... how are you supposed to shift?

tell her to use her other hand and move the shifter a certain direction? there's a lot going on but it's doable.

3 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

I understand that . It makes a big difference on the longevity of drive train parts LOL. My initial thought was a manual trans would be more fun ,then you mentioned drag racing it and the auto makes more sense. There is a couple guys who are regulars at Lancaster 1/8 mile with hellcats.

True. The weak points on the earlier Hellcats was the driveshaft and axles. You can break them even with a factory setup. The culprit is really wheel hop though, and most guys that break them are running with the wrong settings for the trans and suspension, which causes wheel hop. If you dont get off of the throttle quick, and instead try to power through it, youll break things.

Another thing that will start breaking driveline parts is when guys use beadlock wheels. Id rather let the tire spin just a tough on the rim, it softens the shock to the rest of the drive train just a bit. Beadlocks will improve your 60 foot times by a touch, but its not worth the risk to me.

• Like 1

Here’s a couple photos my mom snapped of my dad and I swapping out the K - frame/ engine on the old Dart.  I was 17, notice the old school diy 3 straight trees tripod to pull the motor. 

Boy looking at the pictures again sure takes me back... I miss my dad... 

B34FDF8F-1688-4EC6-9060-C718BEC452AD.jpeg

9DCE0A8C-2D27-4BD5-9171-6279B257B033.jpeg

• Like 4

On 6/6/2019 at 1:22 PM, WNYBuckHunter said:

For trucks or going fast, Im all Mopar, but I do like my Subaru for daily driving. Pretty comfortable, great gas mileage and its AWD, so perfect for winter.

what kind of mpg do you get with it? i considered it but i want like 33+ for my daily commuter. So i buy cheap 5spd cobalts, easy to fix, very reliable, cheap to own/repair.. When i got my first one it was close to 40mpg.. this 2nd one is around 33-35

36 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

what kind of mpg do you get with it? i considered it but i want like 33+ for my daily commuter. So i buy cheap 5spd cobalts, easy to fix, very reliable, cheap to own/repair.. When i got my first one it was close to 40mpg.. this 2nd one is around 33-35

Hard to beat a cobalt/cavalier . I still have an 05 cavalier that is rock solid and gets 35 mpg . 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeremy K said:

Hard to beat a cobalt/cavalier . I still have an 05 cavalier that is rock solid and gets 35 mpg . 

You aint kidding. My first was 2 cavys, 5spd, now i'm on to the cobalts. Id love to find another low milage 5 spd cavy. those buckets were comfy!! my 02 got better mileage than my new 10 cobalt. I have no reason to try something different, especially for the price. standard helps in the snow big time too 

49 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

You aint kidding. My first was 2 cavys, 5spd, now i'm on to the cobalts. Id love to find another low milage 5 spd cavy. those buckets were comfy!! my 02 got better mileage than my new 10 cobalt. I have no reason to try something different, especially for the price. standard helps in the snow big time too 

Same here , i found a 5 speed 4 door from florida and got it sprayed with oil . Easily has to be in the top 5 all time for dependable cars . 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

Same here , i found a 5 speed 4 door from florida and got it sprayed with oil . Easily has to be in the top 5 all time for dependable cars . 

You know it man. I put between 135 and 200 mile son mine a day! turn key go every single time. they have their normal wearbale parts that need replacing every so often.. fuel line, struts and the dang door handle but other than that.. they are runners lol. my 10 just started the fuel line seep 

7 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

You know it man. I put between 135 and 200 mile son mine a day! turn key go every single time. they have their normal wearbale parts that need replacing every so often.. fuel line, struts and the dang door handle but other than that.. they are runners lol. my 10 just started the fuel line seep 

Have you found a brand of front wheel bearings that holds up longer then a year ? Mine has 113 ,000 , im thinking of just biting the bullet and putting the OE delco on. 

I bought a cheap 36$ bearing from parts plus. and put over 100k on them and sold the car at 200k, bearings still in great shape. the abs hubs i believe were 40 somthing. i just cut the wire and stuck one on one side and the non abs on the other. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LET EM GROW said:

I have a Crosstrek and I get right around 29-31 average.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

I have a Crosstrek and I get right around 29-31 average.

My buddy bought a subaru of some sort, outback maybe... picked it up with 220k miles on it.. he works for a hunting show and travels alot.. it has 350k miles on it now and it all stock as far as he knows. In great shape too. I will keep my eyes open for subaru when i need another(hopefully in 3-4 years).. hard to beat a reliable gasser for 3 and $4k. lol. cheap just like me. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

So I havent been on the site much lately, as Ive had a ton going. I figured Id update this though and share some pics of my new toy. The kids decided I should name her Vanessa, so I went with it.

At first I was thinking of a bunch of modifications that I wanted to do, but since Ive had her, I decided to really trim down the list, as shes pretty much perfect the way she is. So far I installed some new puddle lights, and it already had a light window tint. Im going to add a JLT "cold air" intake, although these cars come with a great flowing intake and ram air from the factory. I just want the JLT to open it up a bit and hear more supercharger whine. Ill spruce a few other things up under the hood as well, to set it off a bit from other Hellcats, but thats about it.

She is a bad ass ride, thats for sure. I actually had an Orange Lamboghini Diablo pull up to me at a light on Monday. I asked him if he wanted to go, but he shook his head and said "I dont want none of that." I guess he knew better hahaha.

Pics are from when I detailed it the other day.

64317669_2901175019909694_2895263451670642688_n.jpg

67339984_2901174776576385_4937091827607011328_n.jpg

67404172_2901174773243052_2015588681263349760_n.jpg

67466837_2905266739500522_4239199490713583616_n.jpg

67735715_2901174913243038_5742420112825122816_n.jpg

67826689_2901174919909704_3078344386942074880_n.jpg

• Like 10

Wnybuckhunter  your braver than I,  shortly after I got my truck I was heading back to work from getting gas on lunch and there’s a long straight stretch through town. Stoped at a light and a kid pulls up next to me in a  Chevy truck with a aftermarket exhaust  , hits the loud pedal a few times and I look over and he’s looking at me. I thought about it , but came to my senses . He punched it when the light turned, and I just drove normal . 

Edited by rob-c

5 minutes ago, rob-c said:

Wnybuckhunter  your braver than I,  shortly after I got my truck I was heading back to work from getting gas on lunch and there’s a long straight stretch through town. Stoped at a light and a kid pulls up next to me in a  Chevy truck with a aftermarket exhaust  , hits the load pedal a few times and I look over and he’s looking at me. I thought about it , but came to my senses . He punched it when the light turned, and I just drove normal . 

And there lies the problem with high HP rockets.  What's the point if you don't use it and we all know you shouldn't use on the road.  lol

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

And there lies the problem with high HP rockets.  What's the point if you don't use it and we all know you shouldn't use on the road.  lol

Moog it's "Jeep's at the beach" weekend on Oneida lake. You and your Dad gonna be out there with the top open? https://m.facebook.com/Jeepsatthebeach/

Edited by Robhuntandfish

7 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Agreed, My wife says that when we ride our atv’s that I am reliving my youth.

I am , and I am ok with that. No tickets involved... 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Moog it's "Jeep's at the beach" weekend on Oneida lake. You and your Dad gonna be out there with the top open? 

I have been doing a lot of nekid driving this summer but will be a no show in Oneida.  Heading to Alex Bay next week.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rob-c said:

Agreed, My wife says that when we ride our atv’s that I am reliving my youth.

I am , and I am ok with that. No tickets involved... 

John's car is awesome.  But I did realize with my last modified vette that I rarely drove it like it was meant and knew I shouldn't when I did.   I suspect John will be tracking it.  I never did.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

I have been doing a lot of nekid driving this summer but will be a no show in Oneida.  Heading to Alex Bay next week.

Nice!  Yeah it's a big event prob 400 Jeep's or so. Bands ...all along Sylvan beach and Oneida lake..tc...https://m.facebook.com/Jeepsatthebeach/

If your going to Alex bay gotta hit Boldt castle.  Is that pirates weekend there?

Edited by Robhuntandfish

2 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Nice!  Yeah it's a big event prob 400 Jeep's or so. Bands ...all along Sylvan beach and Oneida lake..tc...https://m.facebook.com/Jeepsatthebeach/

If your going to Alex bay gotta hit Boldt castle.  Is that pirates weekend there?

We are staying across from Boldt so I suspect we will do the tour.  No idea on pirates weekend.  It was just the best time for us to go.   Last time I went it was a huge Harley get together and I went with my wife on the BigDog.  lol  Actually quite a few compliments on the out of place chopper but I was surprised it was an HD rally. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

John's car is awesome.  But I did realize with my last modified vette that I rarely drove it like it was meant and knew I shouldn't when I did.   I suspect John will be tracking it.  I never did.

Agreed, 700+ hp with a warranty, who’d thought it would happen.. Different strokes for different folks.. 

• Like 1