Getting back into cars

WNYBuckHunter

Growing up I was always around old muscle cars, helping friends and family to work on them, restore them, going to car shows and races. When I got into my teens, I started buying a few cool old cars to play around with for myself. First one I had was a 62 Dodge Dart wagon that had a 413 Wedge and a crossram intake. She was ugly as all sin, but that car got more looks and comments than any I have owned. Second one was a 56 Belair with full custom paint, a 327 with a 4 speed and 63 corvette wheels. I made a huge mistake getting rid of that one. Next was a 62 Belair that started out with an inline 6, which was replaced by a 400 Pontiac. It was fun, but I never really loved that car. The last of my old cars was a 73 Dart Swinger that I got most of the way done and then sold to fund things that were more family oriented. Other than those, Ive had a few other fun vehicles, but nothing that wasnt my daily driver.

Last year I started looking for a summer car, and being a Mopar guy at heart, I naturally went to the Challengers. I started looking around and was leaning heavilly toward either a Scat Pack Shaker or T/A. I stopped in to a dealer one day to take a look at what they had, but nothing was really catching my eye. The salesman asked if Id like to take a look at a Hellcat that they just took in on trade. At first I declined, because I figured I had no need for a 700hp street car, and they were usually more money than I was looking to spend. He ended up talking me into driving it, and by the time I got back, you couldnt grind the smile off of my face. The Scat Pack cars were a distant memory in my mind as well. So after that, I started doing all of the research I could about the ups and downs with these cars. I decided what I wanted ans started the search.

A couple of weeks ago I ran across almost exactly what I wanted. It checked all of the boxes for options, but the color wasnt what I was thinking. I kept looking, but something just kept drawing me back to that car. After staring at the pics many times, I decided that I was fine with the color combo, so I contacted the dealer. We haggled a bit and finally came down to what I feel is a great deal. Yesterday I finished the deal up and we got everything in line. Now Im just waiting for the final couple of things to be buttoned up and the car to be delivered. Shes a 2016 8 speed auto with 18k miles on it.

HC1.jpg

HC2.jpg

HC3.jpg

HC4.jpg

HC5.jpg

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Very nice indeed.

Have had a few fun vehicles also. Started with a 72 dart swapped out the slant 6 and K frame and installed a 360 with ported heads and a LD340 intake, purple cam , headers and pinion snubber. Had lots of fun in that car till I wrecked it.Then a Buick Regal with a mild built 350 .  Then started building trucks to play in the mud, 80 Chevy lifted with 38’s and a mild built 350, then a 82 bronco with a mild built 302 on 40’s.

Then a 79 f350 with a 460. Ported and milled the heads installed a torquer cam , 850 4 barrel holly, headers and re geared the axles to 4.56’s, limited slip diffs front  and rear  and ran 44 inch super swampers. Wished I had kept that truck,   had lots of fun in that one. Seemed there was a poker run or mud bog every weekend back in the early 80’s 

Then I got married and kids etc and had responsibility’s so yeah. My just bought 14 f150 will be getting some add on’s in the near future. A tuner, and might do some engine mods. 

Congrats on the new hot rod, will be fun no doubt.. 

Edited by rob-c
  • Like 1

i know of a some friends and family that are into cars and trucks. my cousin has a cuda. my uncle a chevelle ss.  others have the newer muscle. the thought seemed cool to have a muscle car and still does. it's just not practical and not being into cars it wasn't something i considered.  i grew up riding snowmobiles though and even "raced" when i was 3 yrs old at winter carnivals back when that was a thing. I got back into it and ended up with the snowmobile version of this car. lol  others were plenty fast and fun but apparently not enough. my sled comes in at less than 3 lbs/HP. I'm old enough now not to be as stupid too, which helps justify it. i get it. awesome car.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

i know of a some friends and family that are into cars and trucks. my cousin has a cuda. my uncle a chevelle ss.  others have the newer muscle. the thought seemed cool to have a muscle car and still does. it's just not practical and not being into cars it wasn't something i considered.  i grew up riding snowmobiles though and even "raced" when i was 3 yrs old at winter carnivals back when that was a thing. I got back into it and ended up with the snowmobile version of this car. lol  others were plenty fast and fun but apparently not enough. my sled comes in at less than 3 lbs/HP. I'm old enough now not to be as stupid too, which helps justify it. i get it. awesome car.

Agreed, I do all my mudding on my atv’s now. I can buy 4 aggressive mud tires for the quad for less than one super swamper for a truck . Plus the quads  are built for it where’s building a truck to play in the mud can get expensive. 

• Like 2

I love Cars. The Hellcat is a hell of a ride. I got to drive one a friend of mine owns. Congrats, beautiful car. I love the color combo. 

There are a ton of cars I would love to have but my wallet doesn't justify it. I love all cars but have always been a Corvette guy. Back in 05 I found a 03 Z06 and pulled the trigger. Almost 15 years later and it still puts a smile on my face to drive it which is a good thing cause I can't afford a new one. I don't see myself ever getting rid of that car and I don't have enough money or space to support two toy cars. My buddies HellCat is damn near breaking into the 10's at Lebonan Valley and it is all stock. I finally talked him into getting a set of drag radials for it, I can't imagine it won't get into the 10's with some traction. It is really a remarkable car! Congrats again!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ApexerER said:

I love Cars. The Hellcat is a hell of a ride. I got to drive one a friend of mine owns. Congrats, beautiful car. I love the color combo. 

There are a ton of cars I would love to have but my wallet doesn't justify it. I love all cars but have always been a Corvette guy. Back in 05 I found a 03 Z06 and pulled the trigger. Almost 15 years later and it still puts a smile on my face to drive it which is a good thing cause I can't afford a new one. I don't see myself ever getting rid of that car and I don't have enough money or space to support two toy cars. My buddies HellCat is damn near breaking into the 10's at Lebonan Valley and it is all stock. I finally talked him into getting a set of drag radials for it, I can't imagine it won't get into the 10's with some traction. It is really a remarkable car! Congrats again!

On the right day he should be in the 10.8s with Drag Radials depending on what setup he did. I already have a pair of 17" Race Stars wrapped in Mickey Thompson ET Street Rs on the way for it. Soon Ill have matching skinnies for up front too, but its a long ride to the track from my house, so Ill have to wait until I have a trailer before I bolt those on.

The only other mods I have planned at this time are the Flowmaster Outlaw cat back system and a tuner so I can adjust my shift points and whatnot a little more than what the stock computer offers.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, ApexerER said:

Be carful.  I believe if I remember  right  a sub 10 second car has to have a roll cage. If he has mods etc. and that car hooks he could very well get booted from the track. Just a FYI ..

Edited by rob-c

4 minutes ago, rob-c said:

Be carful.  I believe if I remember  right  a sub 10 second car has to have a roll cage. If he has mods etc. and that car hooks he could very well get booted from the track. Just a FYI ..

You are correct but they seem to be making exceptions for these cars that can run those numbers from factory. 

I on the otherhand am tetering between needing a cage in my car and they give me a hassle because my car isn't stock. I have only broken into the cage bracket once or twice on perfect runs with perfect weather but then they come over and tell me to lay off at the end. I am not tearing up my car for a cage...

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, rob-c said:

There are other rules too. You have to run a driveshaft loop with drag radials if you run under an 11.4, gotta have a helmet, have to have metal screw in valve stems, 5 point cage once you get below 10.99, safety clothes (fire proof), transmission shield or blanket, aftermarket axles that dont use C clips, and a few other things. Mind you, these are things you have to adhere to if you are running a sanctioned NHRA event. Bracket racing and test and tune nights usually dont make you adhere to all of that. Lots of guys running these cars into the 9s with no cage.

4 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

There are other rules too. You have to run a driveshaft loop with drag radials if you run under an 11.4, gotta have a helmet, have to have metal screw in valve stems, 5 point cage once you get below 10.99, safety clothes (fire proof), transmission shield or blanket, aftermarket axles that dont use C clips, and a few other things. Mind you, these are things you have to adhere to if you are running a sanctioned NHRA event. Bracket racing and test and tune nights usually dont make you adhere to all of that. Lots of guys running these cars into the 9s with no cage.

Ahh the drag racing days down in Leicester, I miss those Wednesday nights! Good for u John, I often fantasize about getting back into it. My mustang has been sitting in the garage un registered for many yrs now.

• Like 3

Very nice, congrats, and enjoy.  I love white with dark trims, white just looks so good all cleaned up, its classy/sporty in my opinion.  When I bought my last vehicle, a salesman took an orange hellcat out for a rip out front....he laid on that thing for a good ways, sounded sick

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Yep you guys have it covered, I haven’t drag raced since I was a teen. I used to go empire drag way in Leicester and one time a guy showed up in a built viper and clicked off a high 8 sec run and they booted him. 

• Like 1