My JP Sauer 16 Gauge SXS

This is my JP Sauer 16ga Royal. I acquired it about 13 years ago. Barrels are 70 cm and choked full and IM. It does not have a cheek piece and never had sling swivels. Case hardened frame and triggers. It is NOT FOR SALE.  Considering it's only worth about $2000, I would say it qualifies as the common man's quality SXS.  I believe it is of 1950's manufacture, but not sure. Anyone know how I can find out the date of mfg? I appreciate any assistance offered. Thanks.

JPSauer.JPG

JPSauer2.JPG

JPSauer3.JPG

JPSauer4.JPG

JPSauer5.JPG

JPSauer6.JPG

• Like 6

According to my most current reference guide the "2014 Standard catalog of firearms" The JP Sauer "Royal" model was produced in 20 and 12 ga only, 26, 28 and 30 inch barrels, single selective triggers with automatic ejectors. Production was from 1955 through 1977.

Sauer made a model "60" boxlock double in 12, 16 and 20 ga, no dates given, just states produced  prior to WW2, it had double triggers and manual extractors.

Another source called the Blue Book of Gun values does list a 16 ga Royal with the same manufacture date listed above.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

The scalloped receiver makes it a Royal model, the pre war model 60 pictured below has a straight edged receiver. I have found when it comes to firearms of foreign manufacture the available reference guides have conflicting info. I also checked a "Modern Gun Values" and they also state the Royal was produced in 12 and 20 gauge, obviously wrong as you have proof of a 16 ga Royal in your possession. 

Regardless JP Sauer firearms are first rate and your 16 Royal is a fine looking double in my book.

Al

pix094612234.jpg

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, airedale said:

The scalloped receiver makes it a Royal model, the pre war model 60 pictured below has a straight edged receiver. I have found when it comes to firearms of foreign manufacture the available reference guides have conflicting info. 

You'll find your quote about conflicting info to be very true when you start looking around.

I've owned Merkel, Simson, and Sauer SXS and sometimes they have scalloped receivers and sometimes not in the same grade.

The forgings are done in batches, and especially in the case of Merkel and Simson they were built on the same assembly line.

Same with the cocking indicators and side clips as seen in this post.

Often "royal"  or similar term is often an indicator of a few upgrades in finishing and often a better quality wood grade for the  stock. 

They are a fun, easy box lock gun to work on and there are several forums with lots of information on them; can often find under $1k, never paid more then that even for more desirable sub gauges.

Happiness is a double...any double, but yours is a beauty. A couple years ago I sold my very seldom used Spanish made double 12. Unknown mfg, but 1960s era. I decided I needed the money more for my upcoming moose hunt than the gun I only lovingly fondled (and I still had 5 shotguns I almost never used).

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 9:31 AM, Daveboone said:

Happiness is a double...any double, but yours is a beauty. A couple years ago I sold my very seldom used Spanish made double 12. Unknown mfg, but 1960s era. I decided I needed the money more for my upcoming moose hunt than the gun I only lovingly fondled (and I still had 5 shotguns I almost never used).

At least you didn't spend the money on something frivolous, like food, clothing or medical care...

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, left field said:

Very nice. I’ve been admiring Sauer drillings for a while now. 

If you're looking around, don't be shy of a Dural receiver on a Sauer 3000 series.

Makes all day carry more pleasant shaving some weight.

Careful of some rifle chamberings , brass can be difficult to find/ pricey for some options.

Avoid guns with claw mount bases but no rings. Few smiths', NECG being one , will work on claw mounts and almost always new bases and rings sets are required, unless you are OK with just open sights. And if you do want open sights only, make sure rear sight pops up when switching between rifle and shotgun barrels.

Most shoot Brenneke slugs well enough to regulate decent and are OK in even full choked guns (without damascus barrels,which I would serious avoid).

Cape guns, combination, and drillings can be some fun to play with.....

A good condition (wood needed refinish) 12ga SxS  Sauer with scalloped receiver sold on another forum today for $800 from a very respectable dealer in Pa. Was a nice buy for someone. Dealers son runs owns of the largest  Sauer/Simson/Merkel import companies in US and always has something interesting listed.

Thanks for all that, Dinsdale. More research is needed. 

Any idea why nearly every one I look at (at least the older ones) has a carved cheek rest for a right-handed shooter? I rarely recall seeing one without the rest. 

In a certain era they beat the “sinister” out of people so maybe that’s why there are no left-handed drillings. 

10 hours ago, left field said:

Thanks for all that, Dinsdale. More research is needed. 

Any idea why nearly every one I look at (at least the older ones) has a carved cheek rest for a right-handed shooter? I rarely recall seeing one without the rest. 

In a certain era they beat the “sinister” out of people so maybe that’s why there are no left-handed drillings. 

I'd say you're not far off the mark. LOL

Lefties can have a tough time with some types of guns.

Drilling a compromise and most have cheek piece to get optics shooting decent for rifle.

I have seen more current manufactured guns, say 1970's on have triggers bent and custom stocks for left handed shooters. But not many. But a true left handed version would be a rare bird indeed.

Biggest issue with drillings is everyone thinks the gun uncle Joe brought home from the war is a treasure even after it bounced around in a duffle bag and someone lost scope and the matching claw mount rings.

Thats changing a bit I feel; new shooters want to be play with what they see in the movies....prices are now more realistic for condition as demand has waned.

Have owned a few, and have been playing with boxlock German SXS as of recent; but when a good buy comes along I'll see how the piggy bank is looking.