Geneva, NY is a pretty friendly little city...

philoshop

I had to run a bunch of errands today. The lady at the post office was very helpful and friendly, as was the lady at the DMV, which is almost unheard of most places. At the gas station/convenience store a young black man held the door open for me because I tend to wobble and hobble as I walk, and I thanked him. I was right ahead of him when we left the store and I held the door for him. He said, "Thank you sir." He meant it, and I said you're very welcome.

The gal at the cash register in the convenience store knows me because that's where I buy gas, diesel, and beer, and when I came up a dime short on the beer she said I could just owe her. I drove right back and gave her the dime because I didn't want her getting into trouble for a "short" cash register. That likely wouldn't have happened because the manager knows me well enough to trust me.

Lunch at Vonnie's Boathouse Bar was interesting because there were a number of out-of-town people in there today, including a couple from NYC. We get lots of tourists during wine and leaf-peeping season, but not normally in early June.  A lot of those late-season people are incredibly annoying. Limos full of SJW's. I had planned on a quick lunch but ended up staying for over two hours. I was peppered with questions about the area and we had a great conversation all along the bar. I think the NYC couple might be house-hunting right now. ;-)

I hate to introduce politics into this, but I've given this a lot of thought in the ten years that I've lived here. I think that a lot of this general friendliness is because we're a mostly Conservative community. We can disagree without being abusive and adversarial. We can discuss differences without denigrating those with whom we disagree. It's not necessary.

• Like 4

I think it's a matter of showing kindness, respect, and congeniality; and then graciously accepting the same in return. Then again it might just be the proximity to the lake. It is calming if you take the time to sit and look at it. It's a 620 foot deep hole that was dug by a giant ice cube. Sit and think about that while watching the water for an hour, and it's hard to hate on people. We're all very significant in our own worlds of family, friends, workplaces; but Seneca lake will be here long, long after we're gone.

Never been there till a couple years ago, when daughter was sent to audit Hobart college , we’d meet her for dinner  , then ended up going to concert at Smith opera house , the Meet and Greet , then oldest was dating a guy from there .

Kinda neat place .

Edited by Stay at home Nomad
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

Never been there till a couple years ago, when daughter was sent to audit Hobart college , we’d meet her for dinner  , then ended up going to concert at Smith opera house , the Meet and Greet , then oldest was dating a guy from there .

Kinda neat place .

Thanks Larry. I consider central NY the first part of flyover country that politicians don't care about. Once they pass over Albany they don't care about anyone until they get to California.

What did you think of the Smith Opera House? Pretty cool building. I've played there a couple of times in bands, and the acoustics are awesome. That a place like that could even exist today in a small city is amazing. They have concerts 2 or 3 times a week all through the year, BTW. The taxpayers vote to fund the repairs and upkeep without a hiccup.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, philoshop said:

I think it's a matter of showing kindness, respect, and congeniality; and then graciously accepting the same in return. Then again it might just be the proximity to the lake. It is calming if you take the time to sit and look at it. It's a 620 foot deep hole that was dug by a giant ice cube. Sit and think about that while watching the water for an hour, and it's hard to hate on people. We're all very significant in our own worlds of family, friends, workplaces; but Seneca lake will be here long, long after we're gone.

I agree 100% my friend. I've found for the most part you get back what you put out.

My wife and I are always trying to think of a new place to go visit. Geneva sounds like a good place!!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grampy said:

I agree 100% my friend. I've found for the most part you get back what you put out.

My wife and I are always trying to think of a new place to go visit. Geneva sounds like a good place!!!!

Let me know when you'll be in town. I'd offer you lodging but I live in a one-bedroom shack in the woods. :sorry:

There are lots of nice places around here to rent for a few days.

• Thanks 1

On way home from yearly Ithaca trip last year girls and I met up with Nomad , Steuben , Philo and Pygmy. Good food and conversation. I even doled out some Sahlens hot dogs for those to enjoy. Neat little town. Hit a brewery who’s storefront was an old movie theatre   We’ll go back 

Good to hear that good people exist   Thanks for posting that they DO exist.   Far and few these days.  

• Like 3

That was a fun evening. No one tried to climb the flag poles.

Start giving me ideas about a date for the next GTG in my area. Parker's is cool, but Vonnies Boathouse might be an option. The menu isn't quite as extensive as Parker's but the food is good, and the people are nice.

• Like 2

I used to go through Geneva to get to Stanley when I ran hounds in the competitions. I loved it out there because it is a lot flatter than where I'm from, and there was always a lot more coon.  I met a lot of good people out there and won more than my fair share of money.

• Like 1

Philo, I'll be on the lake weekend of July13. Family reunion at Sampson state park. We will be camping from 7/12- 7/18. i'm bringing the motorcycles, i love the scenic rides around the finger lakes! I'll do my best to look you up, maybe we can meet for lunch at 1 of your favorite spots? 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, 2012_taco said:

Philo, I'll be on the lake weekend of July13. Family reunion at Sampson state park. We will be camping from 7/12- 7/18. i'm bringing the motorcycles, i love the scenic rides around the finger lakes! I'll do my best to look you up, maybe we can meet for lunch at 1 of your favorite spots? 

7/12 to 7/18. Got it. Are there any dates that aren't available for you? I don't imagine you would skip a family reunion event to hang with a bunch of hunters and fishermen. Let me know, and I'll post up the decision.

If anyone else is interested let me know. Nothing fancy about the meet-up; the lady jumping out of the cake is entirely optional, so I'll wait to hear from you folks.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, philoshop said:

7/12 to 7/18. Got it. Are there any dates that aren't available for you? I don't imagine you would skip a family reunion event to hang with a bunch of hunters and fishermen. Let me know, and I'll post up the decision.

If anyone else is interested let me know. Nothing fancy about the meet-up; the lady jumping out of the cake is entirely optional, so I'll wait to hear from you folks.

Family picnic is on Saturday 7/13 and follow up party at my brother's cottage on Cayuga lake is Sunday. Other than that I'm free.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, 2012_taco said:

Family picnic is on Saturday 7/13 and follow up party at my brother's cottage on Cayuga lake is Sunday. Other than that I'm free.

A number of us are retired, so a Monday or Tuesday lunchtime GTG might work if anyone is interested. The reason I mentioned Vonnies Boathouse is because they have a large deck and a nice view of the lake. I'm open to whatever; except maybe a guy jumping out of a cake. ;-(

Oh  I love driving upstate to all the little towns  in out of the way places .  It's one of the best states in the country to do some scenic driving in my opinion . Florida  probably the most boring to drive. it  has great beaches but not  much of anything else when you drive around it  all looks the same . And no mountains  just flat with the same palm tree it looks like , here and there . 

• Haha 1

The lake is very calm and really pretty this morning. I'll be taking a short walk along the the north end pretty soon. I'm charging a battery for the camera right now.

I hate the high taxes, but at least the lady I actually hand my cash to is nice about it. She's my neighbor, and she usually apologizes for the tax rates. I buy her a beer at the American Legion now and then, and she invites me over for dinner with her husband on occasion.

• Like 2

Stanley is a very small village. Basically a hamlet, as you indicate. Geneva is a very small city, on the other hand, but the very worst parts of Geneva would be considered highlights is most cities in this country.

I’m not sure I’d classify Geneva as a small city.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think in the case of smaller town / city's it is up to the Administration of those places  if they want to define themselves as  a city or a town ..

Usually when one thinks of a  city it  is someplace with hundreds of thousands or more people living in it .

Geneva is incorporated as a city. Has been for over a hundred years. The population is just over 16,000 people, i believe, so it's a relatively small city. It's still a city, and my construction business is still an LLC even though I've done absolutely no work for several years.

Was there an argument somewhere here?

I spoke with Vonnie's boyfriend/husband today about a GTG at their place. He said hell yeh. He mentioned the fact that on Tuesdays they have a large group of women taking up seats in the place for lunch and drinks, and on Thursdays it's a large group of retired men doing the same. If it happens to rain and we need to move indoors from the deck those would be two days to avoid. Monday the 15th or Wednesday the 17th would work before Taco finishes his visit. Let me know your thoughts.