Came across this boat for sale

Steuben Jerry

49 minutes ago, ApexerER said:

How did you make out?

Still there, looked like nobody was home and it was pouring rain. Going to call this afternoon to see if I can hear it run and take a closer look at things tonight. Maybe that thing will get added to my driveway this weekend after all. 

• Like 3

Bought the thing. Seven days ago I wasn’t in the market for a boat. Damn funny how these things happen!

Didn't try it in the water, just on muffs. Started right up, ran smooth, sounded fine when revved up, and shifted cleanly in forward and reverse. Trim pump sounded like it should. Electric anchor seems nice, never had one on my other boats. Solid floor and transom, full fiberglass interior in good enough shape for the age. It should clean up well.

Nice surprise - fore and aft livewells!! One pump replaced last year. Didn’t know it had that. Inexpensive eagle fish finder but it works. Seats are old but all in good shape. Two pedestal seats for fishing. Trailer has surge brakes. 3 point ski pylon and he threw in a tube and pair of skis. 

Nice guy, we shot the breeze for a half hour. $3800. I think this may have been a good buy! Trip to the bank for a withdrawal tomorrow morning!

• Like 12

6 minutes ago, Steuben Jerry said:

Bought the thing. Seven days ago I wasn’t in the market for a boat. Damn funny how these things happen!

Didn't try it in the water, just on muffs. Started right up, ran smooth, sounded fine when revved up, and shifted cleanly in forward and reverse. Trim pump sounded like it should. Electric anchor seems nice, never had one on my other boats. Solid floor and transom, full fiberglass interior in good enough shape for the age. It should clean up well.

Nice surprise - fore and aft livewells!! One pump replaced last year. Didn’t know it had that. Inexpensive eagle fish finder but it works. Seats are old but all in good shape. Two pedestal seats for fishing. Trailer has surge brakes. 3 point ski pylon and he threw in a tube and pair of skis. 

Nice guy, we shot the breeze for a half hour. $3800. I think this may have been a good buy! Trip to the bank for a withdrawal tomorrow morning!

Well, that does sound like a good deal. Enjoy the new toy neighbor.. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Steuben Jerry said:

Congrats Jerry!  You got a heck of a deal!  Looking forward to the on the water fishing pic's!!!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, grampy said:

Congrats Jerry!  You got a heck of a deal!  Looking forward to the on the water fishing pic's!!!

Thanks, we’ll hopefully get her in our driveway tomorrow afternoon and I’ll spend a couple of weeks going through it and cleaning it up, but looking for the first windless day to water test it. I’ll try to be in good shape for the Fourth of July.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Steuben Jerry said:

Thanks, we’ll hopefully get her in our driveway tomorrow afternoon and I’ll spend a couple of weeks going through it and cleaning it up, but looking for the first windless day to water test it. I’ll try to be in good shape for the Fourth of July.

Home! Now where’s my can of elbow grease?

9453B6FB-75F0-4AEC-A993-114B172F2D0F.jpeg

• Like 14

On 6/14/2019 at 9:29 PM, Steuben Jerry said:

Awesome.....Really looks like a heck of a deal......Congrats on the new toy!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, Nytracker said:

Have you had it out for a shake down yet ?

I haven’t yet. Spent all last weekend using polishing compound in spots, and had to use mildew cleaner on every spot of the boat in and out. Some spots 2-3 times to get that off. One coat of wax is on from the rub rail up. Scrubbed all the seats,  and simple green in the ski locker and carpeted storage area which had been wet and stunk. Shampooed the carpeted storage area last night. The whole boat is cleaning up better than expected and is looking good.

Just got trailer tires from Tire Rack delivered today. Have an appointment for mounting them next Wednesday along with an inspection. This is my first trailer with brakes. Don’t know a thing or two about them so I figured I’d get a good start with them. I’ll get new bearings if needed, but I popped off the bearing buddies and grease looked good. 

Changed the outdrive lube and ran it on muffs (sounds like a Harley). Runs fine but might change the spark plugs for the heck of it.

I’m dying to get it out, especially after the nice weather last weekend. But I want everything just right before I tow it 100 miles and spend a day on the lake somewhere.

• Like 2

Yup it begins .....  dont forget the boat box ... tools extra plugs ... electrical tape . crimp pliers and connectors.  Dont forget to make sure you have a  lug wrench for the trailer tires.  Made that mistake once . Pictures of the boat would be great  now that she is cleaned up .

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nytracker said:

Yup it begins .....  dont forget the boat box ... tools extra plugs ... electrical tape . crimp pliers and connectors.  Dont forget to make sure you have a  lug wrench for the trailer tires.  Made that mistake once . Pictures of the boat would be great  now that she is cleaned up .

All good suggestions! I’ll get some pics this weekend. Bought a Ritchie compass that I have to mount and wire in, need to figure out rod holders, etc, etc. Really need to add a bow mount trolling motor.

All good suggestions! I’ll get some pics this weekend. Bought a Ritchie compass that I have to mount and wire in, need to figure out rod holders, etc, etc. Really need to add a bow mount trolling motor.
Tracks for rod holders. As long as you can get them to allow for room to spread the rod holders out.

Depending on your style of fishing, the more adjustable the better for the rod holders

Bow mount. Longer the shaft the better (que pygmy joke). Minn Kota or motorguide. GPS / spot lock / anchor mode a must ! Minimum 24v but 36 if you have the room for the batteries. Also consider a 3 or 4 bank charger to do the electric motor and house batteries.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

6 hours ago, TreeGuy said:

Tracks for rod holders. As long as you can get them to allow for room to spread the rod holders out.

Depending on your style of fishing, the more adjustable the better for the rod holders

Bow mount. Longer the shaft the better (que pygmy joke). Minn Kota or motorguide. GPS / spot lock / anchor mode a must ! Minimum 24v but 36 if you have the room for the batteries. Also consider a 3 or 4 bank charger to do the electric motor and house batteries.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Thanks, I’m completely out of touch on trolling motor/battery and charging systems. The boat currently only has the starting battery. It has provisions in the bow to hook up a trolling motor, but no other power options that came standard with the boat. I’m pretty sure I don’t want to run any kind of trolling motor off the starting battery and run it down. I’ve got some learning to do.

B739AEF9-0A6E-4D2D-8AAE-7B7290CA785F.jpeg

Edited by Steuben Jerry

1 hour ago, BigVal said:

This reminded me of your new rig you done good for sure!

https://buffalo.craigslist.org/bod/d/north-tonawanda-2000-starcraft/6917427020.html

I saw that too. Same year, but smaller than mine with a smaller OB. Really want to get mine under power to erase any doubts in my mind that there was a reason for a lowball price. When I insured it, the woman said that they show a $8400 value. I paid less than half of that - hope it's not because the motor is shot!

38 minutes ago, Nytracker said:

They use to have a launch at the hotel in hammonds port years ago..... it was junk then probably  fell the rest of the way in...

I tried to use that when I had a 14 footer. No place to park, and the guy running the place was a jerk to my wife and I when we were asking such unreasonable questions, like "where would you want me to park"?

We left and had a good day on Waneta Lake instead.

32 minutes ago, Steuben Jerry said:

I tried to use that when I had a 14 footer. No place to park, and the guy running the place was a jerk to my wife and I when we were asking such unreasonable questions, like "where would you want me to park"?

We left and had a good day on Waneta Lake instead.

Wife’s parents had s cottage on waneta just about directly across from the scout camp. It’s a nice little lake..