Tika

DanD

Anyone out there have a Tika T3X Lite/Superlite? A friend won a .243 T3X Superlite in a gun raffle this weekend and offered it to me for $500. Seems like a screaming deal given I'll need a smaller caliber gun when the boys get older, but I don't know anything about Tika other than they were bought by Sako. Quick searching on the internet has highlighted: 3 Shot MOA accuracy guarantee, detachable mag, good triggers, very light weight... What am I missing?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, DanD said:

Anyone out there have a Tika T3X Lite/Superlite? A friend won a .243 T3X Superlite in a gun raffle this weekend and offered it to me for $500. Seems like a screaming deal given I'll need a smaller caliber gun when the boys get older, but I don't know anything about Tika other than they were bought by Sako. Quick searching on the internet has highlighted: 3 Shot MOA accuracy guarantee, detachable mag, good triggers, very light weight... What am I missing?

I won one in 7mm08 but have not shot it yet.  I think 500 is a great price.

12 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

looked at an 30-06 on clearance and that was near 700.  Didnt buy it cause i didnt like the safety .  Otherwise the gun felt awesome.  That seems like a great deal. 

Not the biggest fan of two stage safeties. I'll have to take a look at it when I see it in person. Thanks for the heads up :)

for me it was in a weird spot and operation wasnt smooth.  Felt like i would be fumbling with it at the moment of truth.  Which sucked cause i really liked the gun otherwise and wanted to get it.  But it might not bother others.  I actually bought a "lesser" gun because of that.     

2 hours ago, DanD said:

Tikkas are ok... I've had two. Personally, I'd rather have the real thing... Sako. I'd offer up 4 large and see if he bites.

I have a T3X Stainless Lite in .308.  Absolutely love it.  Accurate, lightweight, smooth action and great balance.  Also batting 1.000 on 1-shot kills.  Sounds like you're getting a deal, but that wouldn't stop me from starting at a lower price so you have money left for an optic and rings.

I shot one last year at the club range that belonged to another member. We traded rifles for a few shots. Was chambered in 270. I liked it very much and it shot great. 

A bit different from my Sako, feel wise, but still VERY nice. It grouped as well as mine too at  117 yards.

Well worth it, even if you pay the full $500 I think. 

• 2 months later...
8 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

Dan did you buy the Tikka??

So yes and no...probably the oddest gun store story I have....

So I meet my buddy at a local gun store to do the FFL transfer to make the ATF and company happy. We wrap up he leaves, and I'm waiting to get the Leupold VX3i mounted on it. A guy walks in who had won one of the 2019 SHOT Show Winchester model 70 featherweights in stainless steel and in 243win. Guy tells the counter attendant that he wants to sell it for cash since he hates Winchester (I didn't ask why). Now I'm a big fan of Model 70s as it was the first rifle I carried for deer for 15 years before I bought a browning x-bolt. I jokingly offered to trade him the Tika in stainless for the Winchester m70 stainless straight up. Guy looks at me and says that sounds like a fair deal....Gun shop asked us to wait a few days and come back since they just did a transfer on the Tika and they were worried about keep things legal and straight with the government's system. Meet the guy a week later at the same shop and did the switch. I'm not going to say the Winchester will be a more accurate gun (more than likely it won't), but I thought I made out like a bandit. Those SHOT show stainless model 70s have been going for over a $1,000 online, and I  got it for $560 after what I paid for the Tika and transfer charges.

Edited by DanD
  • Like 5

10 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

I guess that is an odd story!!

They call that right place/right time........

Have any pics of the Winchester?

I'll take some pics tonight. I must say, it's a sweet piece. Can't wait to shoot it :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DanD said:

So yes and no...probably the oddest gun store story I have....

So I meet my buddy at a local gun store to do the FFL transfer to make the ATF and company happy. We wrap up he leaves, and I'm waiting to get the Leupold VX3i mounted on it. A guy walks in who had won one of the 2019 SHOT Show Winchester model 70 featherweights in stainless steel and in 243win. Guy tells the counter attendant that he wants to sell it for cash since he hates Winchester (I didn't ask why). Now I'm a big fan of Model 70s as it was the first rifle I carried for deer for 15 years before I bought a browning x-bolt. I jokingly offered to trade him the Tika in stainless for the Winchester m70 stainless straight up. Guy looks at me and says that sounds like a fair deal....Gun shop asked us to wait a few days and come back since they just did a transfer on the Tika and they were worried about keep things legal and straight with the government's system. Meet the guy a week later at the same shop and did the switch. I'm not going to say the Winchester will be a more accurate gun (more than likely it won't), but I thought I made out like a bandit. Those SHOT show stainless model 70s have been going for over a $1,000 online, and I  got it for $560 after what I paid for the Tika and transfer charges.

Wow, that was some coincidence that you two walked into the gun shop at the same time.  Now you most definitely have a great deal.  The Winchester may or may not be as accurate as the Tikka, but I will assure you it will be accurate enough to put game on the ground.  The Winchester 70 will surely hold it's value way better than the Tika, and if given the opportunity I'd definitely take a pre-64 type action that the Winchester has over a Tika for the same money any day of the week.  My .02 cents.

• Like 1

On 8/14/2019 at 6:36 AM, Lawdwaz said:

I guess that is an odd story!!

They call that right place/right time........

Have any pics of the Winchester?

Not the greatest pictures, but I still love the gun :) 

IMG_0866.jpg

IMG_0867.jpg

IMG_0868.jpg

IMG_0869.jpg

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
On 8/23/2019 at 6:20 AM, Lawdwaz said:

Looks great. Let us know how it shoots!

Finally got it out to shoot. Bought three different kinds of ammo (Barnes, Nosler, and Federal Fusion). Started with the Barnes, and I never made it to the others. Even with my less than spectacular shooting skills, I can shoot right at if not slightly under MOA with this gun. Hard to describe, but the Model 70s just seem to fit me the best. Maybe because of the longer LOP? 

Shooting it really brought back memories of my dad's Model 70 in 243 that I carried for years down in PA. I may forgo carrying the Browning 7mm-08 in favor of this for rifle season :) 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DanD said:

Finally got it out to shoot. Bought three different kinds of ammo (Barnes, Nosler, and Federal Fusion). Started with the Barnes, and I never made it to the others. Even with my less than spectacular shooting skills, I can shoot right at if not slightly under MOA with this gun. Hard to describe, but the Model 70s just seem to fit me the best. Maybe because of the longer LOP? 

Shooting it really brought back memories of my dad's Model 70 in 243 that I carried for years down in PA. I may forgo carrying the Browning 7mm-08 in favor of this for rifle season :) 

Dan,

My Model 70s love the Barnes also. Good luck with her this year. Beautiful gun.

Bill

• Like 1