old man river

11 Year Old Girl Takes Down A Rooster Pheasant!

I'm not sure I would equate that with shooting skeet. With skeet or trap you know where the bird is coming from and the general direction it's headed in. With live birds you have no clue. I once had a pheasant almost fly into me. I actually had to duck to avoid it. I didn't get a shot off either.

"It's fun to win elections." -- Bill Whittle

A beautiful day and a great shot, something that young lady will never forget, congratulations to her. Not many types of hunting more exciting than hunting with a dog and the flush of a cock Pheasant, one of the best ways to get a young hunter stoked because of the action and constant anticipation. 

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

Serious Dogs For Serious Work

Right AirDale! For me-- Spring + Fall Turkey hunting is King, but Pheasant hunting is a close 2nd!  A youth hunting behind a good Dog will see plenty of action and not much beats watching your dog work. Eventually that Youth will connect on a Pheasant and want to hunt again! 2 hours will feel like 30 minutes.  And with 5 Months to hunt-- not much campares.

I started to Skeet Shoot at age 11. I shot my 1st straight of 25 at age 14. Age 14 was also my 1st Hunting year.  Due to the Skeet shooting and a great English Setter-- Peggy-- the Pheasants regularly fell that 1st season.

• Like 1

Stewart State Forest has a Super Youth Pheasant Hunt early each Fall.  No Adult Hunters are allowed in until 1pm or so. The Youth Pheasant hunters have nearly 7,000 acres to themselves along with their Adult Mentors. I remember waiting with Big Chris to drive on in around 1pm some years back and a few trucks came out and parked . The owners talked-- happy Youths were seen and Rooster Pheasants were shown around.  Birds were scattered good when, I hit the fields-- but anytime in the Pheasant Fields is a good time!