Additional Strap(s) to secure hang on stand?

buffalojay83

I appreciate the feedback to my earlier post about mods to a hang on stand and climbing sticks.  I usually use a climber but recently bought a hang on.  I'm just trying to get all the things that I need in the fall, now.  Any recommendations on a extra, or two, ratchet strap or something to secure to the tree (that's quiet) in case of a mishap with the straps that come with the stand. (lone wolf alpha, has an upper and lower strap).  I plan on leaving the stand in one location, if I run n gun I'll probably use the climber.  Thanks for any tips!  112 Days!

I have the same stand and never felt unsafe with the two LW straps.  I do use their EZ hook to make things easier.  You could certainly add a ratchet strap for extra piece of mind, but for me a lifeline and the harness keeping me constantly secured to the tree is my safety plan.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, buffalojay83 said:

Thanks, yeah I was looking to see what brand/type people recommend.  Or if it doesn't really matter, just a regular ratchet strap.

I use the simple ones that pull taut vs the ratchet. I dont want to really reef on it because the straps that come with it are designed to do the job using gravity to snug the stand to the tree

• Like 2

I use a top and bottom strap on all my hang ons . With my LW I just use the two they , provide. Life line above all hang ons, that I clip into on the ground .

That said I sold all my hang  ons, but one LW , all ladders now .

Edited by Stay at home Nomad

I use these there not ratchet buckles. You pull them tight then close the buckle and put a pin(key) in never has any problems. I use them on the cheapie stands I get off Craigslist. My lone wolfs are over 20 years old and not showing any signs of wear.
https://www.cabelas.com/product/Big-Game-Treestands-Heavy-Duty-Ratchet-Strap/1619028.uts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

My biggest concern with hang-ons that are left out are the cables as they can rust inside of the rubber coating and deteriorate without it being visible.  Nothing wrong with adding another strap, but if you plan to leave it out every season, change those cables every few years.

5 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

My biggest concern with hang-ons that are left out are the cables as they can rust inside of the rubber coating and deteriorate without it being visible.  Nothing wrong with adding another strap, but if you plan to leave it out every season, change those cables every few years.

I sit there for hours staring at those crimps thinking about that 

• Like 2