Favorite jar sauce

rachunter

4 hours ago, rachunter said:

I’ve been using Michaels of Brooklyn. Just wondering if there’s something better out there? So what’s your favorite?

Homemade doesn’t count.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Michaels as in Michaels rest. Near Nostrand Ave.,  if so im not far from there.  Good food in their Rest.

17 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

For sure if youre doing a wonderful meat sauce and braising shanks and all that deliciousness you need all day, but a quick marinara can be just fine

I buy cans of small, whole, canned tomatoes and slice them up. Fry the meat, drain the grease, and add some diced onion and garlic and basil to the tomatoes. It's usually ready about the same time the noodles are. A half hour or so.

• Like 1

ok I'm so confused now!! It's not "homemade sauce" if canned tomatoes are used! You gotta start with tomatoes! And that takes more than 20 minutes........

I've made scratch sauce and it beats anything but I am like most on here take canned, tomatoes or sauces and add to them to get what you want. That can be achieved in 20-30 minutes.

As much as I like a real homemade sauce with pork, sausage and meatballs, I am not a sauce snob.  When I was in college and dieted for a bodybuilding show (which I hated) I ate Ragu mixed with tuna and pasta daily.  It was fine.  The dieting sucked though.  Decided fat and strong was more fun. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Want to start a war...ask about who makes the best meatballs! The answer, by the way,is MY grandmother God rest her soul and her meatball making little hands!!!
Her secret was 80% meat and never washing her hands-at least that’s what she told my wife the first time she tried to teach her!!! My poor Irish wife was confused!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, chefhunter86 said:

Macaroni like elbows? Most people don’t put red sauce on those

A little milk butter and salt/pepper and you have a good meal.

• Like 1

I agree it's better to start from "scratch" but often I don't have time or all the ingredients.  For jarred sauce I look at the ingredients which are listed.  I want a sauce with no sugar or sugar substitutes.  They are not always easy to find but they exist.  I can adjust spices but there is no fix for sauce that has sugar added.

• Like 1

I agree it's better to start from "scratch" but often I don't have time or all the ingredients.  For jarred sauce I look at the ingredients which are listed.  I want a sauce with no sugar or sugar substitutes.  They are not always easy to find but they exist.  I can adjust spices but there is no fix for sauce that has sugar added.

When I make sauce I don’t put sugar if I want sweetness I will take whole carrots and stew them in the sauce. I remove them before serving, sometimes for more flavor I will
Use a bell pepper and poke holes it in

1 hour ago, chefhunter86 said:

Macaroni like elbows? Most people don’t put red sauce on those

My Italian grandparents called all noodles macaroni. "Pasta" is what macaroni is made from. The "pasta" makes the macaroni noodles. I suppose we could argue about this forever. That would be foolish.

• Like 2

My dinning was taken a very bad downturn since I retired.  My driver, took cooking lessons from a local Italian restaurant years ago , his beans and greens were the best I’ve ever had , along with chicken marsala , chicken French ,his toasted garlic bread ,red sauce all outstanding .

All I could eat, and left overs for Mrs Nomad , usually $10 give or take including salad and desert .

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, philoshop said:

My Italian grandparents called all noodles macaroni. "Pasta" is what macaroni is made from. The "pasta" makes the macaroni noodles. I suppose we could argue about this forever. That would be foolish.

Yep.  My grandparents call it macaroni whether it was ziti, angel hair or rigatoni.   Macaroni and sauce with the occasional reference to the type of macaroni. 

• Like 1

We did almost 4 bushels  of tomatoes into sauce last fall . The sauce cooked for ever do to the amount of water last year. Roma and San marzonos. Probably left  3 bushels  in the garden to rot  because we didn't have time  and nobody else could be bothered.  

7 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

Who has time to make sauce ? Doesn't it take all day?

If you want want real sauce it’s a about 5 hours, and don’t forget to get an extra loaf of Italian bread  to dunk while it’s cooking down

Edited by bruno1
  • Like 2

A decent macaroni dinner is one of the cheapest meals you can make. The price of the ingredients have gone up dramatically, of course, but it's still a low-budget adventure. And if you're not dumb, it can be done very well.

I used to live with a bunch of other construction and oil rig guys in New Orleans. Dinner was often 6 or 8 boxes of mac-n-cheese and a half dozen cans of tuna mixed in. Lunch at one of the food shacks was typically the main meal of the day. A Po-Boy (sub) with a pound of shrimp in it for $2.50 was the meal. The mac-n-cheese just got you through to the next day.

Edited by philoshop