Favorite jar sauce

rachunter

Being mostly Italian it is gravy, here in the states is sauce.What most don't know is Italians prefer good olive oil and garlic with their pasta.I cant lie even though I cook mostly  from scratch I do have some canned/store purchased canned stewed tomatoes in the pantry.

I don't know about favorite jar sauces, but when I read electric meters on the west side of Buffalo, I was given some samples of homemade sauce made by the older generation at that time, and let me tell you, was that sauce good! 

They all seemed to have that down in the basement stove. Always something bubbling downstairs...damn good time....and sauce...with bread...

• Like 2

Homemade sauce is 6 hrs and I have it once a month at parents. Use to be every Sunday from when I was a kid till about 5 years ago. Mom and Dad can’t do that every week anymore. Best jar sauce if I had a gun to my head and had to pick it would be chefs 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, chefhunter86 said:

Come on you WNY guys wouldn’t know I talian food if it hit you in the face

I’ve had pizza out that way and it’s crap

emoji33.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's all just noodles and red stuff and they trick you with different names for different shaped noodles . We still hold the title for the best wings anywhere. 

7 hours ago, moog5050 said:

You are among the few still canning tomatoes in the US.  You and any 120 year old Italian women.  But I am jealous.

We can at least  100 quarts a year.  I would do 200 but wife says no......

All homegrown too.  It’s not hard, takes a couple of afternoons. 

• Like 3

We have some excellent italian restaurants, Santasieros is my favorite. But I agree that the pizza here is terrible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

Who has time to make sauce ? Doesn't it take all day?

Doesn't anyone use a crock pot anymore. Takes less than 30min to prep everything that goes into your fav sauce and crock pot does the rest! Same process for homemade chili, .. almost.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, chefhunter86 said:

emoji33.png

hahah  Fighting words........  There pizza is for shit but they do have best wings...... I am only in Dutchess county and I have to drive 45 minutes for decent italian but believe it or not your not your not gonna get much better pizza than pizza posto in rhinebeck and I have been to them all.......   Bronx pizza slightly overrated....  

db4c383371451a673fa40b586ecf002c.jpg
Tried the Rao’s sauce it’s not bad. Micheal’s is a little thicker. Going to try Victoria’s when it goes on sale. Micheal’s is up to $9 if it’s not on sale. Thanks for the reply’s I might try to make my own someday.

• Like 1

hahah  Fighting words........  There pizza is for shit but they do have best wings...... I am only in Dutchess county and I have to drive 45 minutes for decent italian but believe it or not your not your not gonna get much better pizza than pizza posto in rhinebeck and I have been to them all.......   Bronx pizza slightly overrated....  

With all due respect (which may be little with ludicrous statements as above!!!) that’s just silly ma’am...uh...sir.

21 hours ago, cbyzerman said:

You are crazy my friend we have many good pizza places in Dutchess County.Capolas in Hyge Park serves some great Italian dishes.Try Uncle Sony's in Standfordville for a great Pizza.

56 minutes ago, Dom said:

You are crazy my friend we have many good pizza places in Dutchess County.Capolas in Hyge Park serves some great Italian dishes.Try Uncle Sony's in Standfordville for a great Pizza.

copolas.............   lmfao      You can not be serious about that.......   I guess I will try uncle sonnys but it was garbage when it was mannys..........  I drive by it every week to go to Lias in pine plains which is probably 10x better than copollas............

3 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

how is Gugliamos sauce out of Rochester?  always hear ads for them on the radio

I never heard of them Rob and I live here.  But I typically don't shop for jarred sauce either so who knows.  We do have LiDestri here which was originally Ragu (then cantesano) which was actually started from an Italian family out of their home in Rochester.  Has grown crazy and the original owner sold out.

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 1

On 6/12/2019 at 7:09 PM, rachunter said:

looks like i'll be trying roa's

There's a few guys at work that call it "gravy" silly boys gravy is brown not red lol

Uh oh, he went there!

Last time I had jarred sauce, (not gravy), was about 6 years ago. It was Raos, and it was pretty decent.

In the end, sauce is a very personal thing.  Most like what Grandma made and only what grandma made - unless your last name is Sullivan!  Luckily my wife can do a very good impersonation of Grandma when it comes to sauce!

Edited by moog5050