Waterfowl Shotguns

@The_Real_TCIII Suggested I make a thread on waterfowl shotguns, so here we go. 

Currently im using a mossberg 535 for all my shotgun hunting, but in a couple weeks im planning on getting a Remington V3 shotgun in realtree timber camo. I really wanted to get a browning maxus hunter, but with the amount of gun you get for 600 bucks in the V3 its hard to not get it. Its going to be my first semi auto so I figured it would be better to learn on a cheaper gun than the more expensive ones. I also wanted a gas gun because theyre softer recoiling. Any semi will kick less then my light 535, but why not get the softer shooting one right? 

What guns do you use for waterfowl (or even just bird hunting in general)? If you want you can include what you like and dislike about your gun. Post some pictures if you have them. 

One duck In my life so I know nothing of waterfowl guns but have to say my 1187 SPT turkey gun is an absolute joy to shoot 3.5” loads out of. I could shoot hundreds of loads and never feel it.  It’s not gas operated but inertia.  But also think I paid about $1100 many years ago. But this gun way too heavy to ever swing 

Edited by turkeyfeathers
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

One duck In my life so I know nothing of waterfowl guns but have to say my 1187 SPT turkey gun is an absolute joy to shoot 3.5” loads out of. I could shoot hundreds of loads and never feel it.  It’s not gas operated but inertia.  But also think I paid about $1100 many years ago. But this gun way too heavy to ever swing 

Im at a whopping 10 ducks so not many more than you haha. I don't even want to think of what my shoulder would be if I shot a 3.5 inch turkey load out of my shotgun lol. Even after getting this semi, my pump will be my dedicated turkey gun. 

I have had several Remington gas autos ( 1100s and 1187s)  over the years....As long as you keep the gas pistons and mag tube relatively clean, they are dependable and definitely much easier on the shoulder than those wretched Mossberg pump guns...

The weight is an advantage , not only to further minimize felt recoil, but to maintain a smooth swing on the longer passing shots that are common in waterfowl shooting....

• Like 4

I use a Beretta A400. As you know from the other thread we had about waterfowl, I’m a guide. This gun is used literally every single day of the season in all types of weather and it’s hands down the most dependable gun I’ve used

• Like 3

My son and I both shoot Benelli 3.5" semi auto shotguns for waterfowl. They are inertia driven autos. They soften the recoil and are very easy to clean as any burnt powder and gases remain in the barrel and do not dirty the operating system. Waterfowl guns are commonly used in the worst weather conditions such as heavy rain and extreme cold weather. The Benelli autos function flawlessly in any weather and are highly reliable with all factory loads. Benelli autos are definitely costly but as the old saying goes "you get what you pay for." Most of my friends who are serious waterfowl hunters shoot Benelli autos and have never regretted spending the extra bucks for them.                                   valoroutdoors.com 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

As far as I know, 1187's have always been gas operated semi-auto's.

19 minutes ago, steve863 said:

As far as I know, 1187's have always been gas operated semi-auto's.

Well dang , I haven’t changed the gas in it since I bought it ^_^   Although Treeguy did say he was going to fill it with AR black gun gas. 

Edited by turkeyfeathers
  • Haha 1

I have several auto loaders but a versa max is not one. I handled it and shot one before it just wasn’t for me. I didn’t care fore the thick stock but other than that it was a smooth shooter and many guys have them and love em. I have a Browning’s, Beretta, and Benelli . I like the 3 B’s for waterfowl 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Well dang , I haven’t changed the gas in it since I bought it ^_^   Although Treeguy did say he was going to fill it with AR black gun gas. Now I’m off to google how this works 

Baked bean gas would work, too!  LOL

Edited by steve863
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

That one duck was taken with his front bumper, grill, hood and windshield on the dodge omni... 

Lol...    Jokes! 

Id like to shoot this gun you speak of if you enjoy shooting 3.5" out of it. My 535 is no joy to shoot 3.5" out of lol!! 

• Like 1

Hunted waterfowl quite a bit in my younger days which was before lead shot was banned. I never had the opportunity to have action fast and furious enough to worry about recoil so any type of shotgun I could shoot well was used. I think if I lived in one of those flyway states and a big time waterfowl hunter I would have and hunt with an autoloader. I always liked the Ithaca Mag 10 deluxe pictured at the bottom but never had a good enough excuse to get hold of one.

My favorite type of shotgun for bird hunting is a side by side double, of the three I own only one that is of recent manufacture and has barrels proofed for steel shot, it being only a 28 ga I would not be using it for a waterfowl gun. 

What I  use today for waterfowl is my plain Jane Remington 870 12 gauge, it also doubles as my Turkey hunting gun.

Al

2019-04-04_195517.png

2019-06-13_063448.png

pix735624249.jpg

Edited by airedale
  • Like 2

I have heard wonderful things about the Benelli's, but I don't hunt enough waterfowl to justify the extra $$$$...

I also have never  heard a negative word about the Beretta 390s and 400s...Well made and dead reliable, as Bruno says..

For what duck and goose hunting I do, my 1187 is currently my workhorse...

I also like hunting with my Browning Citori, but despite being fairly heavy ( around 8 lb) I get a headache after shooting a dozen or so 3 inch waterfowl loads through it.. I usually hunt with it on my local river, where I'm lucky to get 5 or 6 shots in a morning's hunt..

• Like 1

I picked up a used Winchester SX3 on Gunbroker this past season after some research. I was between it and a Benelli but the tie breaker was that the Winchester accepts Browning chokes and I had several including the one I use for turkey. The SX3 got a lot more love than the SX4 on the waterfowl forums so I chose it. Also my buddy's SBE kicks like a mule!

9 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Pretty sure your 11-87 isnt inertia unless you customized it, which would be pretty cool of you!

• Like 2

I have heard wonderful things about the Benelli's, but I don't hunt enough waterfowl to justify the extra $$$$...
I also have never  heard a negative word about the Beretta 390s and 400s...Well made and dead reliable, as Bruno says..
For what duck and goose hunting I do, my 1187 is currently my workhorse...
I also like hunting with my Browning Citori, but despite being fairly heavy ( around 8 lb) I get a headache after shooting a dozen or so 3 inch waterfowl loads through it.. I usually hunt with it on my local river, where I'm lucky to get 5 or 6 shots in a morning's hunt..
Love my Browning citori Gran Prix for skeet and sporting clays

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

3 hours ago, helmut in the bush said:

I may need an intervention when it comes to waterfowl shotguns. My go to gun's are a camo Browning Cynergy, and a Super Vinci. Couple weeks ago I was checking out the used guns at Gander outdoor and see a SBE1 on the rack, I didn't need another one, but for $299.00 I couldn't pass it up. It was $314.00 out the door

Holy DUCK S**T, Batman  !!!... That was a steal  !!...

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, sbuff said:

I've probably shot couple hundred ducks over the years ,90% have fallen from my trusty mossberg 835 . 3.5 inch shells most of the time. 

Call me a pussy, but  OUCH  !!….<<grin>>…...

• Like 1

I have an sx3,  sx4,  and a5 for waterfowl. I find myself using the sx4 the most, no huge difference for me between it and the sx3, I like the camo compared to my black sx3 so I figure I'll keep the black one mint and beat up the camo one. The a5 barely sees any hunting time. Mostly clays 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BigVal said:

I have an sx3,  sx4,  and a5 for waterfowl. I find myself using the sx4 the most, no huge difference for me between it and the sx3, I like the camo compared to my black sx3 so I figure I'll keep the black one mint and beat up the camo one. The a5 barely sees any hunting time. Mostly clays 

Newer A5? My brother has an older he used to deer hunt with. It shook my fillings loose shooting slugs 

Still use my trusty old Remington  870, it been wet, muddy, dropped in boats, laid down in corn fields and stepped on by labs and its still produces..... I have a parkerized 11-87 and still go back with the lighter 870 for waterfowl....