Waterfowl Shotguns

4 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Newer A5? My brother has an older he used to deer hunt with. It shook my fillings loose shooting slugs 

I had an older A-5 3"mag...It was my first 3"  12 gauge and was an awesome waterfowl and turkey gun...It DID however, kick like a mule with 3" shells...That was back in the lead shot days, and most of the ducks I shot were with my 2 3/4"  1 1/4 Oz handloads...They were a pussycat to shoot..The only time I ran 3" mags through it was for turkey, geese, or long range pass shooting for ducks..

Damn...That was 50 years ago...<<sigh>>...

Edited by Pygmy
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Pygmy said:

Call me a pussy, but  OUCH  !!….<<grin>>…...

You really don't notice it, between having hunting clothing and the recoil pad it's not bad . I've shot it with a tshirt,  now that's different.  

2 hours ago, sbuff said:

You really don't notice it, between having hunting clothing and the recoil pad it's not bad . I've shot it with a tshirt,  now that's different.  

Yeah, but I'm just a rickety little guy....You probably have balls as big as grapefruit and enough hair on your chest weave an army blanket....Hehehe...

The Browning Auto 5 is an icon, I have always been an admirer especially those made in the later years of it's run both the Japanese and Belgium versions. The workmanship, fit, finish was outstanding and a thing of beauty but the action is very complicated and requires skill to take apart and especially put back together. There was a time when Remington and Savage both made their own versions of the Browning design and while they worked and shot perfectly fine they did not have the refinement of those later year Brownings. If you can shoot an Auto 5 with confidence it will no doubt make for a good waterfowl gun.

Another thing of note was the Auto 5 "Buck Special" slug barrel was right up there in accuracy with Ithaca's Deerslayer when shooting the old Foster slugs. Big time problems arose when owners started mounting scopes on them to take more advantage of that accuracy. Between that recoiling operating barrel slamming back and forth along with the fierce recoil from slugs themselves, they were scope destroyers extraordinaire, some scopes would break with one shot being fired. In our shop we found the Leupold scope to be the only manufacturer back in them days to be able to withstand the punishment, probably the one thing that made me a Lifelong Leupold user on my get serious hunting guns.

Al

Edited by airedale

10 hours ago, Pygmy said:

Yeah, but I'm just a rickety little guy....You probably have balls as big as grapefruit and enough hair on your chest weave an army blanket....Hehehe...

My wife just spit her coffee out laughing ...now that was funny .

I wanted to compare pellets in a 3.5 shell vs 3 vs 2 3/4 shells, anyone do that ? I remember shooting lead at ducks  those were the days . Never a fan of steal shot.  These new non toxic shot shells are nice but when a box of 10 cost as much as it does you shoot wisely.  We use to play poker for shot shells at camp in my youth .

• Like 1

For all of my waterfowl and turkey hunting I shoot a camo Mossberg 835 pump.  It's 3.5 inch magnum chamber and back bored barrel really puts the smack on everything it shoots.  I added weight to the hollow synthetic stock to cut the recoil.  It's too heavy for upland game, but I have others for that.  Can't beat the reliability and use you can get out of a pump gun.  Mine is 30 years old.

Edited by Rattler
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Stuck a bird barrel on the old Mossberg 500 I used to hunt deer with before we could use rifles, threw on an aftermarket camo synthetic stock I got from Midway USA and gave it a custom rattle-can marsh grass camo job. :)