ATbuckhunter

Unique still hunting idea

Recommended Posts

So this is going to be a bit out there, but I think it could really work. I was always told by those that ride horses that deer will not spook when they are riding the horses. I know people hunt deer off of horses and there are even saw 2 videos of a guy in WNY that shot 2 nice bucks off a horse with his bow. I do have access to horses, but I thnk ill pass on actually getting on the horse and trying to make an accurate shot.

What im planning is cutting a horse outline with some cardboard and keeping that infront of me as I try to close the distance on some deer and steaking it down when im close enough for a shot (sort of like a montana decoy). What do you guys think? The property im planning on trying this on is a apple orchard and has horses so the deer are very familiar with horses. 

Edited by ATbuckhunter
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Visions of Jeremiah Johnson shooting at an elk over a horse's back come to mind.... And Bear Claw telling him "Elk don't know how many feet a horse have."

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe the reason deer are not spooked by horses is they know horses are not a threat.  However, the reason a hunter can approach a deer while riding a horse is because deer hear a horse approaching, not a man.  The sound of the horse's four hooves on the forest floor is what tells deer a horse is approaching.  If you use a cut out and try walking closer to deer, I think they will spook because it won't sound right to them. 

It may work as a blind to hide behind, but I doubt it will allow you to approach deer without spooking them.  They will not hear what they expect to hear and will know something is wrong.

It is true hunting on horseback will allow hunters to approach very close to deer without spooking them, but that's because the deer hear a horse coming.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe this concept of natural smells(similar to natural sounds as discussed above) is also where EverCalm started - farm hand didn’t have time to scent free shower so just went out with work clothes on which were covered in shit and piss and dander from the livestock. His encounters that evening were closer than before so they made “deodorant” sticks of that smell.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I say try it, the most it’s going to do is not work. But if it does work that’s going to be a cool hunting story. 

Edited by rob-c
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are deer afraid of rhinos ? Jim Carey might have an idea for an interesting gun port 263298ae78ee59b21f1fc6cf785d0fd1.jpg


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What if several hunters hid inside a giant wooden horse and presented it as a gift to the biggest buck in the area? Then, come nightfall...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

  • Like 7
  • Haha 5

I find a duck's opinion of me is very much influenced by whether or not I have bread

-Mitch Hedberg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Id be careful of people you hunt around or near.. but ive seen the videos of the guy in WNY that smashed a beauty off his horse as well. Sounds neat. If it were legal, and if you rode slow enough on a quad. With practice on moving targets, I could have shot several bucks from quads as they stood there until i passed.. I spent a couple minutes on my wheeler a few weeks back and a doe was nursing her fawn and let me drive right by her at 20 feet time and time again, never hardly even looking at me. Just standing there as her fawn nursed. I twas neat. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

or could dress asImage result for deer not afraid of moving cars meme a buick cause this is true!    Really though what a good story it would be for sure like rob-c said.  I say try it!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ATbuckhunter said:

So this is going to be a bit out there, but I think it could really work. I was always told by those that ride horses that deer will not spook when they are riding the horses. I know people hunt deer off of horses and there are even saw 2 videos of a guy in WNY that shot 2 nice bucks off a horse with his bow. I do have access to horses, but I thnk ill pass on actually getting on the horse and trying to make an accurate shot.

What im planning is cutting a horse outline with some cardboard and keeping that infront of me as I try to close the distance on some deer and steaking it down when im close enough for a shot (sort of like a montana decoy). What do you guys think? The property im planning on trying this on is a apple orchard and has horses so the deer are very familiar with horses. 

I really like a deer hunter not afraid to think outside the box!!!  You my friend are always thinking. That's Awesome!!!  As long as it's legal, there is no right or wrong way. And in my humble opinion, the hunter that is not afraid to try something new, is a better hunter than the one who does the same things over and over. Eventually, the local deer will catch on and avoid you!!!

Some new ideas will work, some won't, but you won't know if it works for YOU, unless you try it!!

Good luck, and give it a try my friend. 

And always keep thinking!

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I recall Sam Potter telling a story where he went galloping towards a buck snorting to confuse it.  It made be crack up thinking about it.  Could work AT but might be a pain carrying that cutout through the woods.  Never know though.  Good luck.  Would be a cool experience.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had thoughts of putting up a couple sheets of plywood and pasting a big truck billboard picture on it then cutting out the window and using it for a blind . When I had my Chevy S-10 , I would see deer walk past my truck where I parked in a field . It never bothered the deer as they probably thought of it a farm equipment . 



97.3% of statistics are made up
To Err is Human - To Forgive Divine 

Neither of which is Marine Corps Policy !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ATbuckhunter said:

What im planning is cutting a horse outline with some cardboard and keeping that infront of me as I try to close the distance on some deer and steaking it down when im close enough for a shot (sort of like a montana decoy). What do you guys think?

Only drawback I can visualize is if it should get wet.

How about one of these:

 

 

child-giant-inflatable-horse-costume.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have two observations.

As a teenager I had "farmer" friends that could ride right up to within 50 yards of deer in fresh cut fields that would not spook until they dismounted. In the same fields I could drive my snowmobile to within 100 yards of turkeys and they would not care as long as I stayed on the sled. They spooked instantly when I got off.

Later in life I lived across the road from a large hillside horse pasture. There was one horse that would run any deer that came within 100 yards of him out of the pasture. So, the deer were wary of him and were careful to keep there distance. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I could see some douchenozzle popping you thinking you were a deer when clearly you were a horse. Happens every year

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like other have said, give it a try.....worst that can happen is it won't work...no harm no foul....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure truth to this but years back I heard a city folk guy stopped at a deer check in station to check his spiked buck in. Hunter was so proud as his first deer ever.  It was a goat. DEC supposedly made him go back and confess to the farmer. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Not sure truth to this but years back I heard a city folk guy stopped at a deer check in station to check his spiked buck in. Hunter was so proud as his first deer ever.  It was a goat. DEC supposedly made him go back and confess to the farmer. 

I heard of this story too.  But in fairness, I had little hunting experience and the goat was still delicious.

  • Like 4
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just go out fire-wooding and start the chainsaw. The deer come right to the sound. I've thought about buying a cheapo and just leaving it running under my tree stand. ;-)


"It's fun to win elections." -- Bill Whittle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Rattler said:

I believe the reason deer are not spooked by horses is they know horses are not a threat.  However, the reason a hunter can approach a deer while riding a horse is because deer hear a horse approaching, not a man.  The sound of the horse's four hooves on the forest floor is what tells deer a horse is approaching.  If you use a cut out and try walking closer to deer, I think they will spook because it won't sound right to them. 

It may work as a blind to hide behind, but I doubt it will allow you to approach deer without spooking them.  They will not hear what they expect to hear and will know something is wrong.

It is true hunting on horseback will allow hunters to approach very close to deer without spooking them, but that's because the deer hear a horse coming.

Plus they smell differently 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im going to try it. I found a cardboard cut out from walmart for 40 bucks. Worst that can happen is it doesnt work and I spook some doe. I tried stalking deer on that property many times, but the open orchard doesnt let me get closer than 60 yards anyway so I might as well try it right? If it doesnt work than I stop using it, but it would be really cool if it does. 

Im thinking I would have to circle down wind and approach them in a diagonal way so they dont think im coming straight at them 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.