Unique still hunting idea

ATbuckhunter

Why not just saddle up and hunt from a horse?  I always wanted to give that a try.  Rode 14 miles back into the ADK on a horse once during the deer/bear ML week in October, but didn't have the gun on the horse when riding.  The outfitter packed them on a mule drawn cart behind us.  Didn't see any deer while mounted either, or else I would have tested the theory and see if they would spook.

3 minutes ago, ATbuckhunter said:

Im going to try it. I found a cardboard cut out from walmart for 40 bucks. Worst that can happen is it doesnt work and I spook some doe. I tried stalking deer on that property many times, but the open orchard doesnt let me get closer than 60 yards anyway so I might as well try it right? If it doesnt work than I stop using it, but it would be really cool if it does. 

Im thinking I would have to circle down wind and approach them in a diagonal way so they dont think im coming straight at them 

You may want to figure out how to get some horse sent on the thing should help or just any masking sent to confuse them long enough for you to get close 

37 minutes ago, Rattler said:

Why not just saddle up and hunt from a horse?  I always wanted to give that a try.  Rode 14 miles back into the ADK on a horse once during the deer/bear ML week in October, but didn't have the gun on the horse when riding.  The outfitter packed them on a mule drawn cart behind us.  Didn't see any deer while mounted either, or else I would have tested the theory and see if they would spook.

I don't have the most expereince riding a horse so I wouldnt feel comfortable shooting from a horse. I may just try that if the neighbors allow me to borrow a horse. 

37 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

You may want to figure out how to get some horse sent on the thing should help or just any masking sent to confuse them long enough for you to get close 

I was thinking of either leaving it in the neighbors barn or just circling down wind. Usually when they circle down wind like that, theyre typically in range.

11 minutes ago, Rattler said:

Dismount when you shoot and slide the rifle over the saddle.  Make sure the horse isn't gun shy first though.

The plan is to use this for bow season actually. I can usually get with in 150 yards when im rifle hunting, so I dont really need this. 

those deer are conditioned to not fear the horses. also i don't think they get off the horse ever. plus no guns. there's a lot going on to make that work like it does.  illegal to shoot from and not too exciting but i can drive the farm tractors almost right up to much of the deer that are around the farm.  they've known it for years and don't associate it with danger.  it's all relative.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

That would be one small ,low to,the ground horse to hide behind . Nice outside the box thinking , but I’m not getting behind any type of brown decoy thing in NYS during gun season .

new john wick 3 movie he used a horse in a city police stable to take out a handful of bad guys. it was a movie but being around a farm and knowing how much damage a kick could do i wouldn't want to be near any horse while shooting a gun or with gun fire around.

I just edited my post didn’t know he was talking bow . I owned a pony and my sisters a horse while we were growing my up , the farm I hunt boards horses as well ,although I’m not much of a knowledgeable horse guy ,been chased by a few though .

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

I just edited my post didn’t know he was talking bow . I owned a pony and my sisters a horse while we were growing my up , the farm I hunt boards horses as well ,although I’m not much of a knowledgeable horse guy ,been chased by a few though .

I may not be the brightest out there, but I also wouldnt take it our during rifle season. Too many guys out there who dont pay attention to do that

• Like 1

12 hours ago, fasteddie said:

I had thoughts of putting up a couple sheets of plywood and pasting a big truck billboard picture on it then cutting out the window and using it for a blind . When I had my Chevy S-10 , I would see deer walk past my truck where I parked in a field . It never bothered the deer as they probably thought of it a farm equipment . 

Is it illegal to shoot a bow out of a vehicle? I went to a 3d shoot where they had a door and seat set up,but you have to sit on the passenger seat to shoot out the drivers window. It sure messed with my form...

9 hours ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

Lol I was chased by a neighbors horse walking out while bowhunting once. I ran didnt know horse.... I ran about 40 yds and jumped over a fence and was good.

• Like 1

Ya I used to cut through a cow pasture, those F@#$ers would come right after me ...... don’t know if they thought I was going to feed them or what . 

My wife born and raised on dairy farm ,would laugh at me the city boy .

• Like 2

11 hours ago, BowmanMike said:

Is it illegal to shoot a bow out of a vehicle? I went to a 3d shoot where they had a door and seat set up,but you have to sit on the passenger seat to shoot out the drivers window. It sure messed with my form...

It is Illegal to shoot from a motorized vehicle . If someone could start a non existent engine on a Truck Billboard God bless him ! :rolleyes:

I do not believe it is the outline of the horse that makes deer feel safe it is the pattern of the foot steps and easy nature of the horse that seems to relax deer.  They also do not seem to acknowledge that a person is on the horse and seem to pay more attention to the animal.  

Personally I would not use anything that might look like a deer in the woods even during bow season.  A horse could be real easy to mistake for a deer, the outline and color are very similar.  Goes back to Identify then place shot but we all know how that first step can be skipped in the heat of the moment especially when "I have a tag for anything" (brown and down) hunters. 

Storm914 Yes they are called Ghost blinds and work awesome!  

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, NFA-ADK said:

I do not believe it is the outline of the horse that makes deer feel safe it is the pattern of the foot steps and easy nature of the horse that seems to relax deer.  They also do not seem to acknowledge that a person is on the horse and seem to pay more attention to the animal.  

Personally I would not use anything that might look like a deer in the woods even during bow season.  A horse could be real easy to mistake for a deer, the outline and color are very similar.  Goes back to Identify then place shot but we all know how that first step can be skipped in the heat of the moment especially when "I have a tag for anything" (brown and down) hunters. 

Definitely would not be a good idea  on heavily used public land  opening day unless you are suicidal lol 

19 hours ago, NFA-ADK said:

Decoys(the deer looking ones) are a tried and true method during archery. Can be quite entertaining. Never once have I been concerned on usage, other than spooking that one in wrong time of season. Not sure if you are looking for better chance of success or making it as difficult as possible, but seems being spotted and stalking with card board horse would be high on difficulty scale

On 6/14/2019 at 9:38 AM, NFA-ADK said:

If that’s the case, coconuts may be the ticket. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

lol good one Left Field!  One of the tricks some of us have used is going heel to toe, imitating a walking deer, it does work when not in view.  Purposely making it noisy as to imitate a walking deer. 1-2, 3-4  , 1-2, 3-4 the cadence is very specific and we have all heard it when they approach.  Believe it was posted on here by another member.  Have used it a few times when deer are close but can not see me.  Works till they see you, the expression on there face is funny!  What are you doing here sounding like a deer? This is usually the impression I get before they bust out of the area lol. 

• Like 1