Need Ideas for a Day Trip

moog5050

Down the thruway East a couple  of hours is the International Boxing Hall Of Fame, it is located right at the Canastota exit. Make a right on Rt 13 and head North for about 15 minutes to Sylvan Beach a small resort town on the east shore of Oneida Lake, decent restaurants and amusement park for the kids. Or up the road West on Rt 5 a few minutes from Canastota is Chittenango's Wild Animal Park. 

If you are into History the Fort Stanwix National Monument-Park is Down the thruway a couple of more exits in Rome along with the Oriskany Battle field a few miles away.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

Ithaca for hiking.  Robert H Trehman , Buttermilk falls.  Sam n I hiked both same day numerous times. The waterfalls are really pretty so take a camera  Less touristy than Watkins Glen. Then viva in the commons for authentic Mexican food for lunch or Ithaca brewing company for wood fire pizza on the patio. You should / may pass the old army depot so look for the herd of piebald deer. 

• Like 1

Just now, turkeyfeathers said:

Ithaca for hiking.  Robert H Trehman , Buttermilk falls.  Sam n I hiked both same day numerous times. The waterfalls are really pretty so take a camera  Less touristy than Watkins Glen. Then viva in the commons for authentic Mexican food for lunch or Ithaca brewing company for wood fire pizza on the patio. You should / may pass the old army depot so look for the herd of piebald deer. 

I wholeheartedly second Robert H Treman State Park.  Really nice hiking and great scenery.  Was there last summer.  Like TF says, hardly anyone there compared to Watkins Glen.  Also, Taughannock Falls State Park is close by and also nice hiking and scenery.  Below are a couple of photos I took at Robert Treman SP.

FIMG_3993.JPG

FIMG_3988.JPG

• Like 5

I wholeheartedly second Robert H Treman State Park.  Really nice hiking and great scenery.  Was there last summer.  Like TF says, hardly anyone there compared to Watkins Glen.  Also, Taughannock Falls State Park is close by and also nice hiking and scenery.  Below are a couple of photos I took at Robert Treman SP.

FIMG_3993.thumb.JPG.f3f904fa9619d1e7554c94795bb3e06f.JPG
FIMG_3988.thumb.JPG.ab7888b8574713ca2eaa9212109b5851.JPG
That looks nice! Guessing all the way over in Boofaloo though?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Being that your from Rochester have you taken her to see Niagara Falls yet? Maid of the mist and the Cave of the Winds are always fun with kids and there is plenty of other stuff to do in the area even could skip across the border into Canada for some fun. 

Hidden Valley Animal Adventure in Varysburg is pretty cool. https://hiddenvalleyadventure.com/ 

Oldest daughter is doing a wine tour for her bday, Sat . There may be some room in limo ......

we’re big fans of Fair Haven Beach state park. Great beach a very long pier to walk out on , and one can catch pan fish all day, and bass early mornings and evenings . Little cool for swimming and I’m sure the high lake levels screwed up the park now , but later on in summer give it a thought . Nice picnic areas, can hit Chimney Bluffs on way back or Sodus PT for dinner .

Edited by Stay at home Nomad

The Corning Museum of Glass in Corning is nice, and  a short walk across Centerway Bridge and there is the Rockwell museum of Western Art...Lots  of original  paintings by Frederic Remington  and other famous western artists, along with Bobby Rockwell's collection of antique and modern firearms...Market Street in Corning is worth a stroll, too..Kinda touristy, buts lots of shops, cafes, etc....

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

That looks nice! Guessing all the way over in Boofaloo though?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

The below is not my photo, but this is the falls at Taughannock Falls State Park which is also only a few miles outside of Ithaca.  Really nice spot also.

27994134837_d1de95b586_b.jpg

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

For those unfamiliar with Chimney Bluffs, here some pics I took . It’s a relatively short hike on top, so I  always combine it with lunch or dinner at Sodus Pt .

534BC02F-9012-4783-B419-7D37ADAFAD9F.jpeg

515B70CF-60DA-493B-9220-4120FD57ECC3.jpeg

At one time it was great small mouth fishing off those bluffs.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

At one time it was great small mouth fishing off those bluffs.

Parents had a cottage on Port Bay, fished from Chimney Bluffs to Fair Haven.

In front of Hedges in Webster was always hot, used to drag a crab or night crawler , caught tons there ,today I can’t find a bass there. Although I fish even  less then I turkey hunt ...

34 minutes ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

Parents had a cottage on Port Bay, fished from Chimney Bluffs to Fair Haven.

In front of Hedges in Webster was always hot, used to drag a crab or night crawler , caught tons there ,today I can’t find a bass there. Although I fish even  less then I turkey hunt ...

Yep - lake O bass fishing is hurting.  20 years ago both hedges and the bluffs were places where you could catch em almost every cast.  Now nothing.

• Like 1