Need Ideas for a Day Trip

moog5050

2 hours ago, steve863 said:

I wholeheartedly second Robert H Treman State Park.  Really nice hiking and great scenery.  Was there last summer.  Like TF says, hardly anyone there compared to Watkins Glen.  Also, Taughannock Falls State Park is close by and also nice hiking and scenery.  Below are a couple of photos I took at Robert Treman SP.

FIMG_3993.JPG

FIMG_3988.JPG

nice photo taking skills.

1 hour ago, moog5050 said:

Yep - lake O bass fishing is hurting.  20 years ago both hedges and the bluffs were places where you could catch em almost every cast.  Now nothing.

Zebra muscles and cormorants .

If its a nice day... check out Grimes Glen in Naples, its a cool water hike to some waterfalls.  Gannett Hill Park can be done in the same day too.  

We recently went to Niagara on the Lake and I was really impressed.  Although that's more of a weekend trip and you need to leave the old US of A.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dbHunterNY said:

On the east side of syracuse is Green Lakes SP.  water is pretty cool and they have a decent size beach. never been except for once for a meeting with the DEC big game unit. seemed nice though.

Played gold there all the time in law school.  Great RTJ designed course and it is a pretty place!

5 hours ago, moog5050 said:

Want to bring the kids and Ana somewhere on Sat. within a few hours of Rochester.  Have done Letchworth and Watkins Glenn.  Any thoughts or recommendations?

You know if you had another atv , Tall  pines in Andover is having a fathers day ride Saturday. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

We did Corning 2 years ago. Very interesting and had great day. Good bbq place nearby 

Slamming jammin bbq ? Good eats no doubt. 

1 hour ago, moog5050 said:

shoot, with the weather, may need some indoor ideas.  Maybe Pygmy is right on corning.

If you do and want good pizza check out Aniellos on market street. Actually lots of good restaurants  on market street to choose. 

23 minutes ago, rob-c said:

Slamming jammin bbq ? Good eats no doubt. 

If you do and want good pizza check out Aniellos on market street. Actually lots of good restaurants  on market street to choose. 

Glen Curtis Museum not too far away in Hammondsport. Old aviation, automotive, motorcycle, and industrial exhibits. I can get lost for hours in there.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, moog5050 said:

I thought it had to do with Gobi killing all the spawning bass.  Good info.

True, add them to the list . Zebra muscles eat all the plankton ,disrupting the food chain. They filter all the water in Lake Michigan every 9-12 days , which sounds unbelievable I know .

1 hour ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Boldt castle in Alex bay .  Always enjoy that.  Beautiful spot and they have done so much to it.  Just neat to even know that exists around here.  its about 2.5 hours from Rochester Image result for boldt castle

I imagine that the water is at least ankle deep and rising in the little power-plant castle (top right corner of picture) right now.

If you head west with kids, the Niagara Power Vista in Lewiston is pretty cool (especially on a rainy day).  They have a good interactive museum that is fun and educational for the youngsters.   Best of all is the price (free).   They have some kind of special event going on Saturday (also free), that sounds like it would be interesting.  You could swing by and show them the falls.  The cascading flow over those right now has got to be near record levels, considering all the rain we have had this spring, with no end in sight.         

Have you been to Niagara Falls? Not far from you, and you can easily fill a week end with fun. The American side is very accessible, The Maid of the Mist is  a great thrill...bring rainwear! Buffalo also has a great zoo, and a Cabelas store close by. 

Going East, I am surprised no one mentioned the Syracuse zoo (Rosamond ...whoever, I still call it the Burnett Park Zoo). Great elephant area, Mongolian Tigers....great stuff. Just the other side of Syracuse in Chittenango is another private zoo that opened a few years back...The Wild. Great exhibits, a lot of up close personal encounters and a very inexpensive way of spending the day with the family. While in Syracuse, eat at The Dinosaur Bbq. great food, fun atmosphere. Saturday mornings at the regional market near the baseball stadium is the largest farmers market in Upstate NY, and on sundays a flea market is held there.