Here's A Couple For Ya

NY Assembly votes to give driver’s licenses for immigrants:

“This bill is common sense,” said Assemblyman Marcos Crespo, D-Bronx and sponsor of the legislation. “It is in the best interests of the entire state of New York and it responds to the contributions of our immigrant families.”

Republicans countered that the state has no duty to give licenses to immigrants who broke federal immigration laws. Some also questioned whether immigrants would use the licenses to try to register to vote, or whether terrorists might seek to obtain a state license

Wednesday’s vote in the Assembly was 86-47.

Assembly Bill Would Have State Fund Kidney Trans­plants For Un­doc­u­mented Im­mi­grants

By Michael Herzenberg
PUBLISHED 11:43 AM ET Jun. 12, 2019 PUBLISHED 11:43 AM EDT Jun. 12, 2019
New York State pays for Barrera's dialysis through what's known as emergency Medicaid, but his wife contacted her local state assemblyman, Felix Ortiz, hoping for a more permanent solution.

“On a state level, we must move forward,” says Ortiz, who represents Sunset Park and Red Hook in Brooklyn. 

The Democrat has introduced legislation that would authorize the state to pay for kidney transplants for undocumented immigrants, provided they have gone through two years of state-funded emergency dialysis. He estimates 200 to 300 people in the city would be helped by the measure.
The bill is backed by the Business Council of New York State, the state’s largest business organization, as well as several labor unions. Cuomo said Wednesday that he’ll sign if it passes the Senate before lawmakers adjourn next week.
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, steve863 said:

Meanwhile I could crawl into a hospital ER with a possible coronary and they won't even look at me until I give them my health insurance card.  God bless America!!

That's not true and you know it.

1 minute ago, virgil said:

That's not true and you know it.

I brought someone to the ER this past weekend with chest pains and numbness in their hands and feet, and the first thing they asked for was the insurance card so please don't tell me this is not true.  I bet the hospital might not ask someone who looked like a newly arrived immigrant the same question, but I don't look like one of these folks so the scenario is different for me.  They know who they can potentially collect payment from and they do everything in their power to collect all the necessary paperwork from someone like me so they can get paid.  No use asking the illegal immigrant since he won't have any insurance nor will the hospital ever collect anything from them.

Steve, you are wrong.  And there have been many threads on this site complaining about the FACT that anyone, regardless of legal status, can be brought to any ER in the country and be treated for any acute illness, regardless of their ability to pay.

That being said, of course the first question asked is about insurance.  That doesn't mean your friend would have been turned away if he/she didn't have coverage.

You keep referring to 'they'- I have 20+ years experience in health care, working for a 'they' and speak from professional experience on this.  You are misinformed and can easily confirm what I'm saying by doing the least bit of research.

Edited by virgil

You are correct that it's the hospital's duty to treat everyone, and I am sure the person I brought to the ER would have been treated no matter if they had an insurance card or not, but do you really think the hospital would have been as persistent in asking for an insurance card from someone who barely speaks English and looks like they were fresh off the boat?  I bet they wouldn't.  They know it's a lost cause from the get go.

And if we are looking for "facts", it is absolute FACT that our insurance costs are increasing up to 20% a year because there are tons of people who don't have any insurance and then hospitals have to write it all off.  We are in FACT paying for these people.  I fully realize that the health system is completely broken in this country and even people born and bred in the US can be without insurance, but giving free treatment to millions of undocumented immigrants surely isn't helping matters in the least while those who can pay have to pay premium prices for it and the collection agencies will be on their butts forever if they don't pay up.