Day Trip Ideas.....

ApexerER

Saw Moogs post about day trip ideas. Great post but I live on the opposite side of the State. I live in Saratoga....If anyone has any great ideas for a day trip with my 14 year old daughter and I to do this summer, I am all ears....Anything to get her off her phone and outside.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bionic said:

Do you have a kayak or boat?

i like the Raquette River, it is flat water, near Axton Landing, and The Crusher boat launches.  I like to paddle Stoney Creel as well.

I have a boat and access to Kayaks....Is that a point A to point B paddle?

4 minutes ago, ApexerER said:

I have a boat and access to Kayaks....Is that a point A to point B paddle?

Ever tried Rollins Pond state campground/park? Its busy but a nice lake to paddle, with tons, and tons of lakes surrounding.

i also have heard Follensby Clear pond is absolutely beautiful, which is about 20 mins past Rollins....i drove past it, and it is very nice.  I want to paddle that one weekend.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bionic said:

Ever tried Rollins Pond state campground/park? Its busy but a nice lake to paddle, with tons, and tons of lakes surrounding.

i also have heard Follensby Clear pond is absolutely beautiful, which is about 20 mins past Rollins....i drove past it, and it is very nice.  I want to paddle that one weekend.

I'll have to google them...Never heard of either one.....Thanks!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, grampy said:

How about a day spent hiking at Thatcher State Park? The trails are not too hard, and the views are breathtaking. Could even have a little picnic in between short hikes.

Thanks Grampy….Been to Thatcher Park many times.....And you are right! It is a great place....We usually go once a summer and do just that....

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sbuff said:

Lake placid always fun. The bob sled ride is a rip.

The race track,grafton state park,moreau state park  ,lake George, horse back riding at the many local places .

Did the bobsled ride with my daughter last fall. Your right, its a rip....actually scared me a little...I don't like not being in control. My daughter always wants to go to Lake George but between the arcades and mini golf ect I spend a small fortune in a couple hours. Last year we went parasailing which was cool but expensive. Horse back riding has never occurred to me....Great Idea, I will look into that....

Back a few years ago I had two of my nieces for a day and took them to a shooting range with a certified instructor. We/they had a blast shooting everything from pistols to skeet. It was a memorable day just for the novelty of it as they had never handled firearms before. I've since had them over to my place a few times for fun shooting and plinking, and I used to be an NRA instructor so I know how to do it safely. They're adults in their mid-to-late-twenties now. Just a thought.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, philoshop said:

Back a few years ago I had two of my nieces for a day and took them to a shooting range with a certified instructor. We/they had a blast shooting everything from pistols to skeet. It was a memorable day just for the novelty of it as they had never handled firearms before. I've since had them over to my place a few times for fun shooting and plinking, and I used to be an NRA instructor so I know how to do it safely. They're adults in their mid-to-late-twenties now. Just a thought.

I would love to do something like this with her....Did you call a range and set that up? I have had my daughter behind the .22 once or twice but it isn't something we do regularly. 

18 minutes ago, ApexerER said:

I would love to do something like this with her....Did you call a range and set that up? I have had my daughter behind the .22 once or twice but it isn't something we do regularly. 

I don't remember exactly how it was set up. The range officer/instructor is a good friend of mine and I think he made the recommendation and set things up at the range. I just wanted to do something other than a typical day at the mall or a trip for ice cream. Call a couple of ranges and see what they have to say. Some have age limits, especially with handguns, but most are pretty cool about it if there is a certified instructor doing the teaching. It doesn't hurt to ask, and it's something she will remember.

• Like 1

How about the Shaker Museum in MA just past the NY border? 

Pretty neat seeing how the shakers lived back then. They have demos, and explain how things were made and survived in the 1700's

If you're into old history, it's right up your alley. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mowin said:

How about the Shaker Museum in MA just past the NY border? 

Pretty neat seeing how the shakers lived back then. They have demos, and explain how things were made and survived in the 1700's

If you're into old history, it's right up your alley. 

That sounds like something I would enjoy...Not sure my daughter would have the appreciation for it right now that it would deserve....its something I will keep in mind for myself for sure....Thank you

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

Revolution Rail.

Grant Cottage

Plymouth Plantation (weekend trip)

boston science museum or aquarium. (weekend trip)

We have been to the Science Museum, Childrens Museum and Aquarium....All those places are great!! My daughter doesn't have the appreciation for history at the moment that she should. I guess that stuff was boring to me as well when I was 14. Hopefully she will grow into it because we have a ton of historical stuff like that not far away....

1 minute ago, ApexerER said:

We have been to the Science Museum, Childrens Museum and Aquarium....All those places are great!! My daughter doesn't have the appreciation for history at the moment that she should. I guess that stuff was boring to me as well when I was 14. Hopefully she will grow into it because we have a ton of historical stuff like that not far away....

just a straight up museum or history i never cared for. some stuff is more interactive and American history based. revolution rail is fun i'm told but much better around fall when leaves change. there's always tubing the rivers. around here we have places to rent you tubes and pick you up.

5 minutes ago, Jdubs said:

How about the ropes course and zip line at Adirondack Extreme?  You can usually grab a deal on groupon. 

https://adirondackextreme.com

I could suggest a variety of hiking ideas in the High Peaks region, if that's something she'd enjoy.  

We have been to Adirondack extreme...I think I am still sore...lol That place is really cool. 

I would love some ideas on High Peaks hikes. I am sure my daughter could do any of them no problem but I am not 14 years old...lol so if they are too extreme they probably wouldn't be the best for me....We have done several hikes together...I have always looked up the easier ones..not too worried about distance as much as vertical. My knees have a hard time coming down steep terrain.