Any History channels , Alone fans

rob-c

On 6/15/2019 at 10:15 PM, crappyice said:

Why does the fishing seem so difficult this season? I will not pretend to know about fishing the arctic but seems like there should be more success then we are seeing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fish are not just randomly distributed on the ocean bottom could just be there just fishing in the wrong spot .

7 hours ago, left field said:

Could be that the fish are turning off due to the impending weather change. Or they're just not interested in a paracord fly.

Spolerish

V

V

V

Eat a muskrat or not? Tough call. 

That would be NOT.. tough way to go. I liked him,  was hoping he would last. 

I told the wife, what are they supposed to eat. Seems  as every thing is loaded with parasites. 

Edited by rob-c

On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 8:45 AM, left field said:

Fan of the show. Like the self shot concept. 

A couple of seasons ago it was hard to watch two people pulled who were on the brink of starvation, especially the guy who had stockpiled smoked salmon. Reminded me that many people who die of thirst while lost do so with water in their canteen. 

Looks like a good season. 

I was watching this season...The salmon guy really seemed like he was starting to unravel a bit. I remember the young woman who was one of the last contestants (I never did finish the season) who was really doing great, knew her plants inside out, built a drum to play to keep her spirits up. 

At the beginning of the season there was a fellow who seemed like he probably was going to breeze the ordeal, but tapped out very early on (within days, if I remember right) not wanting to be away from his family.

I remember that guy. Seemed completely out of the blue when he tapped, especially when most of these people say they're doing it for their family. Not as bad as the military guy who tapped within hours after being dropped off after seeing bear scat

I will say that almost all the women have the right attitude to go the distance. Mental toughness and the ability to laugh. And they really seem to know their flora. Nicole is a great example of this. She ate:

• Limpets
  • Chum salmon
  • Spiny dogfish
  • Kelp bass
  • Blennie eels
  • Mossy chitons
  • Red rock crabs
  • Marine isopods
  • Banana slugs
  • Admiral boletes
  • King boletes
  • Chanterelles
  • Spiny wood fern roots
  • Silverweed roots
  • Plantain
  • Yarrow (mostly in tea, for medicine and under my arms)
  • Spruce needle tips (for Vitamin C in tea)
  • Licorice fern roots
  • Enteromorpha (green algae)
  • Fucus (rockweed)
  • Nereocystis (Bullwhip kelp)
  • Macrocystis (Giant kelp)
  • Salal berries
  • Huckleberries
  • Hemlock Tree cambium (not so tasty)
  • Salicornia (Sea Asparagus)

Did anyone see the Meateater episode where he cleaned and ate the sea cucumbers? They looked delicious! I wonder if the people in Alone can get to them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Especially from the ocean just because you can clean cook and eat something doesnt mean you should. Some stuff will ruin your day. My knowledge of stuff up there sucks. Id probably die starvation in a bed of unprepared food. Lol all I can think of is the movie "Into the wild"

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

On 6/14/2019 at 8:54 AM, The_Real_TCIII said:

That was fascinating. There was another guy that made an amazing camp, he basically built a kitchen and then loneliness got him and he tapped

i honestly think that guy could win a survival world championship. He was amazing. Totally crushing it, but I feel like he wasn't in it for the money and at some point if you're not actually surviving to survive, you just miss your loved ones. Sad to see him tap though.

1 hour ago, Daveboone said:

I was watching this season...The salmon guy really seemed like he was starting to unravel a bit. I remember the young woman who was one of the last contestants (I never did finish the season) who was really doing great, knew her plants inside out, built a drum to play to keep her spirits up. 

At the beginning of the season there was a fellow who seemed like he probably was going to breeze the ordeal, but tapped out very early on (within days, if I remember right) not wanting to be away from his family.

the lady with MS? I was so rooting for her. Over anyone else and it sucks to see a disease force you to tap.

24 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Did anyone see the Meateater episode where he cleaned and ate the sea cucumbers? They looked delicious! I wonder if the people in Alone can get to them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

supposedly they're amazing, just tricky to clean and some are turned off by the looks.

11 minutes ago, Belo said:

have seen them all. wasn't a huge fan of the team season, but credit for them trying different things. This season looks like it's going to be good.

Confidentially, I was hoping they would leave the brothers who won to die there. Christ, they were annoying.

Check out media subforum on bushcraftusa. Many of the former contestants and winners post there and comment on the current season.

supposedly they're amazing, just tricky to clean and some are turned off by the looks.

Some are turned on by the looks too....just saying!

I’m a big fan of trying to figure out what to eat and how it should be prepared. I think it’s sort of cool to figure out food that no one else knows or appreciates. Sadly where I live in SE(aka NYC to WN) people have become so removed and afraid of nature that they would never consider eating “wild.” I found a mulberry tree and wine berry bush one time at a baseball field where the kids were playing and a mother went crazy when her kid asked if he could try one. How dare I try it poison her son? Moron!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, Eric J said:

What happened to the guy who shot the moose with the Arrow????   I was like.... How can you kill a Bull Moose with a primitive arrow?

that's the last episode i saw, not sure if there is a new one out, but they left it with a preview of him finding the bloody arrow. 

16 minutes ago, Eric J said:

What happened to the guy who shot the moose with the Arrow????   I was like.... How can you kill a Bull Moose with a primitive arrow?

I assume we should find out in this Thursday’s episode . 

1 hour ago, Belo said:

that's the last episode i saw, not sure if there is a new one out, but they left it with a preview of him finding the bloody arrow. 

I missed that... or that part! If he actually gets this moose... he can survive a year...at least food wise!