Any History channels , Alone fans

rob-c

Naked & afraid is a joke. Give a couple of people ~$20-50k for spending 14, 21 or 40 days in the most inhospitable environment imaginable with no food source, critters that want to eat you or injection poison in you and debilitating regional diseases. I do watch it some just to see how the screening process and pairings were made of two completely polar opposite personalities, btw intentionally. One contestant came across the film crews living quarters and stole some stuff. Sent home! See the episode where the female talked about a possible jungle love connection, but after a couple of days it reversed to "No way"! Not being a pervert, but do wonder about the naked, night-time cuddling to stay warm...hum!?!

Prize $$ for the Alone winner is $500k, IRC. But aren't they out there for 6mos?? I'm in awe of the woman that shot the squirrel out of the pine tree with a recurve bow. What do you think Moog, up for the challenge? When one of the Alone contestants talked about killing a moose, I wondered if that was really legal!?! One thing about Alone is there is much less scripted drama than there is intentionally built into Naked & afraid.

Belo - Sling TV is $25/mo with two package options. One is more sports (ESPN) oriented than the one I get. There are some on-demand options for every channel in your specific subscription. You'll need an antenna to get local network channels. like with most other streaming services. Limited add-ons if you want more movies, kids shows, comedy, etc for ~$5-10+ additional.

Edited by nyslowhand

16 hours ago, nyslowhand said:

Naked & afraid is a joke. Give a couple of people ~$20-50k for spending 14, 21 or 40 days in the most inhospitable environment imaginable with no food source, critters that want to eat you or injection poison in you and debilitating regional diseases. I do watch it some just to see how the screening process and pairings were made of two completely polar opposite personalities, btw intentionally. One contestant came across the film crews living quarters and stole some stuff. Sent home! See the episode where the female talked about a possible jungle love connection, but after a couple of days it reversed to "No way"! Not being a pervert, but do wonder about the naked, night-time cuddling to stay warm...hum!?!

Prize $$ for the Alone winner is $500k, IRC. But aren't they out there for 6mos?? I'm in awe of the woman that shot the squirrel out of the pine tree with a recurve bow. What do you think Moog, up for the challenge? When one of the Alone contestants talked about killing a moose, I wondered if that was really legal!?! One thing about Alone is there is much less scripted drama than there is intentionally built into Naked & afraid.

N&A contestants get $5K plus an economy ticket to wherever they shoot and a couple of nights/expenses at a hotel.  I assume their medical is covered in case of something serious as a result of the show. Insider fact - the guys often ask the editors to make their genital blurring a little larger.

Alone contestants are only allowed to hunt legal game. My guess is that if someone killed an animal out of season they would be dealt with as any other poacher.

On 7/14/2019 at 3:57 AM, nyslowhand said:

Belo - Sling TV is $25/mo with two package options. One is more sports (ESPN) oriented than the one I get. There are some on-demand options for every channel in your specific subscription. You'll need an antenna to get local network channels. like with most other streaming services. Limited add-ons if you want more movies, kids shows, comedy, etc for ~$5-10+ additional.

i dont understand the plug?

46 minutes ago, Adkhunter1590 said:

I don’t want to spoil it on anyone...so I’m just gonna say that if a certain someone who shot that big something can preserve it, he’s golden and has no excuse not to win. Just my 2 cents....

800 freaking pounds... that is like 5, 2.5 year old upstate NY bucks...

Great show and appears to be the "real deal" and they have to work very hard to battle elements, find food sources and then battle being alone.

They get frequent health checks but other than that they appear to be truly alone in remote places.

This and "Last Alaskans" are the only reason I ever watch TV.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Salmon_Run said:

Great show and appears to be the "real deal" and they have to work very hard to battle elements, find food sources and then battle being alone.

They get frequent health checks but other than that they appear to be truly alone in remote places.

This and "Last Alaskans" are the only reason I ever watch TV.....

I do like some of the folks on Mountain Men. 

• Like 4

On ‎7‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 3:57 AM, nyslowhand said:

I saw her shoot the squirrel.  Impressive.  Couldn't really tell how far the shot was but still well done.  Somehow I missed the moose thing but that is really cool too.

800 freaking pounds... that is like 5, 2.5 year old upstate NY bucks...

Will be plenty of meat to last him awhile. I’d like to see him utilize the hide and other parts of it for something. Not sure if he will but I’m hoping he’s got the smarts to utilize every part of it.

Some research on Native Americans would be a big help to these contestants. They were true masters of utilizing everything to its fullest potential.
  • Like 1

Stupid question, but doesn't one need a lot of salt to preserve 800lbs of meat?  Is that available to this guy?  Good score regardless I just wonder how much of the meat will rot before it can be used.  Or is it cold enough not to worry.  Haven't really been watching.

Edited by moog5050

25 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Stupid question, but doesn't one need a lot of salt to preserve 800lbs of meat?  Is that available to this guy?  Good score regardless I just wonder how much of the meat will rot before it can be used.  Or is it cold enough not to worry.  Haven't really been watching.

If he is smart he will build a smoker and jerk it. That should preserve it fine, especially since cold temps are coming. I would jerk it and then rehydrate during cooking like in a soup. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, left field said:

I agree. A bear, a moose haunch and the guy, all in a bag would be better TV. 

If you mean hanging a few hundred pounds of meat, well, I think that may attract more than a few animals.  

I do mean to hang it and it would be the best option IMO. since they aren't really at freezing temps yet,  I'd take the approach to get the large quarters and chunks into a smoke bath asap. That should keep the bacteria at bay long enough to slice and jerk the meat. That will really reduce the weight as well

• Like 1