Alzheimer's disease

philoshop

My Dad was diagnosed a couple of years ago with Alzheimer's. He's 79 YO, BTW, and has always been a very outgoing and gregarious person.Now he's very quiet as he retreats into his own world. I see him 2 or 3 times a week so I've definitely seen all the little changes. What blew me away was last month when I took him to the local auto wrecking yard to look for a hubcap for his truck. We didn't find a hubcap, and we were almost a half mile back in. On the walk out he stood right in front of me and said, "Son. There's a very good chance that I won't remember your name in the near future, but I'll never forget who you are and what you mean to me." I almost lost it right there.

If anyone else is dealing with this horrible disease in their family, let me know how you deal with it, please. My toolkit with this kind of chit is very limited.

• Sad 8

19 minutes ago, philoshop said:

My Dad was diagnosed a couple of years ago with Alzheimer's. He's 79 YO, BTW, and has always been a very outgoing and gregarious person.Now he's very quiet as he retreats into his own world. I see him 2 or 3 times a week so I've definitely seen all the little changes. What blew me away was last month when I took him to the local auto wrecking yard to look for a hubcap for his truck. We didn't find a hubcap, and we were almost a half mile back in. On the walk out he stood right in front of me and said, "Son. There's a very good chance that I won't remember your name in the near future, but I'll never forget who you are and what you mean to me." I almost lost it right there.

If anyone else is dealing with this horrible disease in their family, let me know how you deal with it, please. My toolkit with this kind of chit is very limited.

My aunt and grandfather had it but at a earlier age I guess now they have better tests  for it . Stay positive it can be a  very slow disease before it gets  really bad  and I think now they have better drugs to slow it down .  You have to think positive don't panic ,  it may not be a problem for many many  years  . Everyone is different. 

Edited by Hawk914
  • Like 1

No first hand experience with the disease but have seen TONS of it from friends and clients in my past life.  It's a terrible thing of course and all I can add is prayers and hope. 

Enjoy these days especially this Sunday........

• Like 1

1 minute ago, philoshop said:

Thank you my friend! I pray daily for my Dad, and of course for my Mom who watches it creep in like a weird fog on a daily basis. It's a horrible disease.

Enjoy every minute with him Philo no matter his state of recognition. You know the true man not the man ravaged by something out of his control.  Just love him and pray.  That’s all you can do. 

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

No first hand experience with the disease but have seen TONS of it from friends and clients in my past life.  It's a terrible thing of course and all I can add is prayers and hope. 

Enjoy these days especially this Sunday........

Big party planned for this Sunday!! I'm not even sure my Dad will understand why there's a party, but even my leftist brother from New Hampshire is making the trip.

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Enjoy every minute with him Philo no matter his state of recognition. You know the true man not the man ravaged by something out of his control.  Just love him and pray.  That’s all you can do. 

I spend as much time as I can with both of my parents. I know that that time is likely short. I was offered a very lucrative position at a horse ranch in Lexington, KY doing custom carpentry so their uber-rich clients could see how well their horses live. It was a substantial six figure job and I turned it down because it would have meant being away from my parents at a time when they need me.They've cared about me for the sixty years that I've been here, I owe them. Some people think that sentiment is stupid. I don't.

• Like 8

47 minutes ago, philoshop said:

Sorry to hear about your dad its not easy.  My father just got diagnosed with dimentia 58yrs old not the same as your father but its still hard to watch him slowly become less of himself.  Im in the same boat very little info.  Praying for you and your family and just enjoy the time you havr with him.

• Like 1

Let me just say this to temper the sympathy: as much as I love my parents, and I dearly do, they've become senior "helicopter parents". I'm the oldest of four children (I'm 60) and I'm the only one who's unmarried. They drive me nuts at times. I deal with it by turning my phone off occasionally.

It’s a hard thing. I’ve had 3 grandparents suffer through it. My grandmother when I was still just a youngster. 8-9 years old. Now my moms husband is starting to go through it.

I just try to remember them before. And help them all I can now.

I’m hoping they find a cure soon because I’m a prime candidate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

sorry to hear

we've been dealing with this nasty disease for a few years with my father[77yrs old] it's brutal watching a man I love and respect deteriorate.He kept falling and each time it seemed to make thing worse.We finally had to put him in a nursing home for his own safety.My mom past away last year and he already forgot who she was.At first I got mad but now understand it's the nature of the beast.I was going up to see him every day but it's to heartbreaking.Today he asked who the woman was that came to see him.It was my sister.

They seem to have good days and bad days.Enjoy as much time as you can with him.I find that pictures really light him up somedays he know everyone other days I have to remind him.Another thing I noticed is he remembers the past more then the present.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, philoshop said:

Let me just say this to temper the sympathy: as much as I love my parents, and I dearly do, they've become senior "helicopter parents". I'm the oldest of four children (I'm 60) and I'm the only one who's unmarried. They drive me nuts at times. I deal with it by turning my phone off occasionally.

You sound like me lol

I miss those crazy phone calls from my mom.

• Sad 1

Really seems to be a lot of this now days? We've dealt with it in our family, and close friends family too.

Will keep you and your parents in my thoughts and prayers philo. Surely he is a great Dad. And you my friend are a great Son.

God bless you all.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, rachunter said:

You sound like me lol

I miss those crazy phone calls from my mom.

Sometimes I just don't want to be asked every hour throughout the day if I've eaten breakfast, or lunch, or dinner and if I've had my vitamins: and whether or not my underwear is clean.

3 minutes ago, philoshop said:

Sometimes I just don't want to be asked every hour throughout the day if I've eaten breakfast, or lunch, or dinner and if I've had my vitamins: and whether or not my underwear is clean.

My aunt  use  to keep asking everyone when we went over if they wanted coffee  I remember.  

Before she really lost it all took over 10 years .

Edited by Hawk914
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, philoshop said:

yup I never heard the end of it if I didn't call when I got up to my house.Then every other day until I came back.

1 hour ago, philoshop said:

Terrible disease...one day at a time is all I can offer. It helped us out when our father went through this. Ten year journey for us. Hang in there.

• Like 1