Alzheimer's disease

philoshop

22 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

My dad was just diagnosed with the early stages , he's being proactive about ,he goes to a clinic where they do testing and he is currently trying different medications.

My Pop is doing the things his doctors recommend, including the medications and all. He's a retired dentist, so he's certainly not a dummy. Some days, though, it just seems like he's kind of giving up. I give him a big hug and ask him to stick around.

• Like 1

Prayers Philo! I lost my Mom to dementia 4 years ago. She passed just shy of her 91st birthday. She had 6 years after diagnosis, but we strongly suspected it two years earlier. The last three years were progressively rough. She didn’t know who I was the last few years but did  know I was someone in her life. It ran in her side of the family that I seem to take after, so I worry that it’s my fate.

Live in the moment with him, and enjoy every one of those moments. It’s a damn scourge of a disease.

• Sad 1

My dad went through this before passing away. Extremely hard to witness this mental shell of a person you love dearly. I tried to visit him as often as I was able to, while knowing he'd not have a clue who I was most of the time. Kept returning for the rare occasion he might have a lucid moment so I could talk to him about his life, hunting, fishing and discussing his condition. Hope this doesn't happen to you as it brings reality to a whole new level. Once during my dad's rare lucid moments he actually asked me to help him end his life........WHAT!!! Needless to say I couldn't morally oblige him, but still knew it was probably the right thing to do. Gave me a new outlook on what Alzheimer's patients might be going thru mentally.

Not a religious person, but I'm probably going to hell for asking the Lord to take my dad away from his suffering. It lingered a couple of years, but he was finally freed. RIP, dad!

If you haven't been thru this 1st hand, you don't know... My advice is while seeing the literal empty shell of your loved one, simply remember & celebrate their life as they were prior to their debilitating illness. Truly a sad and brutal reality.....

• Sad 1

I have gone throught this with my mom and an uncle, and also work daily with many folks who have dementia/ alzheimers ( I am a home care nurse).

It is heartbreaking because there is no pattern.  Be very aware that if he lives alone, his "fine wiring" of thought, memory is becoming frayed, and no matter what is done to protect him or to help remind him, it is all out the window. Stoves being left on, power tool accidents, stairs, mispoured medications,firearms, cars, etc. become deadly no matter how much lifetime familiarity he may have. On a daily basis I hear...."oh, he would never do that" or, "he knows better than that". 

Not anymore. 

Angry outbursts are unpredictable frequently...remember, they aren't personal, and there is nothing you can do to avoid them. Read everything you can, and be sure to gather all family members so everyone is aware of what is going on, there is no substitute for very close supervision (which is so very difficult in these times)

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Daveboone said:

I have gone throught this with my mom and an uncle, and also work daily with many folks who have dementia/ alzheimers ( I am a home care nurse).

It is heartbreaking because there is no pattern.  Be very aware that if he lives alone, his "fine wiring" of thought, memory is becoming frayed, and no matter what is done to protect him or to help remind him, it is all out the window. Stoves being left on, power tool accidents, stairs, mispoured medications,firearms, cars, etc. become deadly no matter how much lifetime familiarity he may have. On a daily basis I hear...."oh, he would never do that" or, "he knows better than that". 

Not anymore. 

Angry outbursts are unpredictable frequently...remember, they aren't personal, and there is nothing you can do to avoid them. Read everything you can, and be sure to gather all family members so everyone is aware of what is going on, there is no substitute for very close supervision (which is so very difficult in these times)

My Mom and Dad live together, thankfully, and my Mom does what she can to keep an eye on everything. Just last week my Dad accidentally took some medication before bed that was not to be taken before bed. It seriously screwed him up for 24 hours. My Mom is trying to keep an eye on that sort of thing but Dad is a strong-willed and independent guy who doesn't appreciate being babied any more than I do. I give him a big hug every chance I get, and I pray for him. I don't know what else to do.

Philo, I'm so sorry you are going through this. I have 2 good friends who went through this with their mothers, it's very sad. i do know they have made big strides in treatment. Best of luck and of course lots of prayers for you and your parents. 

• Like 1

Philo sorry. I think what makes it so hard is the fact they know it is happening to them. My mother knows it's happening and sometimes it is very upsetting to her.

My father has dementia, and his hallucinations are at times a bit scary and devastating when he only wants me.to help and I can't be there. 

When there is a "Normal" moment for both we kind of have a laugh just so we can lighten that moment. 

Prayers for all

• Like 1

Sending my prayers for you and your dad.   Were there any old songs or singers that you use to listen to together and that your dad really liked ?   I have heard that music is good therapy and that it may provide some comfort and even bring some patients back to reality for a while.   

• Like 3

4 hours ago, wolc123 said:

Sending my prayers for you and your dad.   Were there any old songs or singers that you use to listen to together and that your dad really liked ?   I have heard that music is good therapy and that it may provide some comfort and even bring some patients back to reality for a while.   

Thank you for the prayers, wolc. It means a lot to me. I was a blues, jazz, rock, and funk musician. Mostly as a drummer. My Dad likes religious chorales and church-type music. Not much connection between us when it comes to music. My Dad has a piano in his basement that he used to love to play every single day. He doesn't play at all any more. I don't know if he's forgotten how to play or if he's forgotten that he used to love it.

My grandfather passed away from this disease. He lived with us for 3 years during it. Watching a persons mind just totally deteriorate before your eyes is heartbreaking. My mom put him in a home for the last year of his life because she couldn’t take care of him anymore. He was 6-5 300 lbs of pure Genny cream ale. When he died he was all of 100 lbs. 

• Sad 1

My wife worked in Alzheimers research for many years and I have a friend who's mother is going through it now.  It's a tough disease.  Take each day for what its worth.  He visits his mom as much as he can and each time she forgets and acts as if the previous visit never happens.  He takes it in stride and tells me that he tells her the same stories over and over again and makes her smile because to her, its as if she's hearing it for the first time.  He said he doesn't mind and he enjoys it because he knows each time might be the last time he gets to hear her laugh.

• Like 1

..... the heart wrenching part is that the afflicted person probably won't recognize who you are - son, daughter, spouse or any close family member. BUT, that one visit when they actually know who you are is worth all the other heart breaking visits!!!

• Like 1