Snake

The Engineer

8 minutes ago, The Engineer said:

Or looking on line maybe a Massasauga rattlesnake looking at the pictures 

Could be cant see if it has the lateral stripes along the side of its head  in the pic.

I thought they were found around southern  lake ontario shores  around Rochester  area  .

Edited by Nytracker

I wanted too because I have 2 dogs and my wife up here with me this weekend but I just kept moving. I always hoped since I was high in the mountains they snakes would stay lower. Since cleared some woods and put in a pond I've been seeing more snakes but all garder snakes going for the frogs 

Sure that’s not a garter? There’s a bit of color/pattern variation to them and they can change at different ages. Those short little bluish lines in the pattern makes me wonder. I had a garter in one of the flower beds last year that coiled up on me and acted aggressive. Turned out she had a little brood of youngsters a couple of feet away.

Pic is from last weekend in our garden. Kind of has similar short lines, but not a distinctive checkered pattern although there is some checkering.

C9C1AA83-76A8-43DF-AA3E-FDBE988CB312.jpeg

Edited by Steuben Jerry
  • Like 2

In these parts it would be a dead snake.

Since it does not have a rattle it is probably not a Eastern Massasauga

It could be a eastern hognose snake also know as a puff adder and  have been known to show aggression along with rolling over on their back and playing dead. The only place I have seen them in in the southertier.

snake.jpg

Edited by Steve D

2 minutes ago, Rattler said:

It may be a young one that has yet to develop the rattle and distinct markings

I am no snake expert for sure and my tendency is to look at them through some form of firearm sight or down the handle of a shovel. The video indicates they are born with a rattle.

13 minutes ago, greensider said:

It's a garter snake showing background color as snakes get upset they puff up spreading scales and showing skin color but it amazing how many outdoorsman cant tell one snake from another we only have 13 species to learn in ny

Agreed, honestly I have only seen the run of the mill gardener, and really have no interest in learning the others. 

27 minutes ago, greensider said:

It's a garter snake showing background color as snakes get upset they puff up spreading scales and showing skin color but it amazing how many outdoorsman cant tell one snake from another we only have 13 species to learn in ny

More interesting most jump to the conclusion its venomous, and as "conservationists" have to kill it.:rolleyes:

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

This is crappy technical science too.

Poison is when a substance is toxic when ingested, like a dog drinking anti freeze.

Venomous is a toxin delivered by bite or sting, ie a snake bite.

Who fact checked that page?

• Like 2