Snake

The Engineer

16 hours ago, greensider said:

It's a garter snake showing background color as snakes get upset they puff up spreading scales and showing skin color but it amazing how many outdoorsman cant tell one snake from another we only have 13 species to learn in ny

I don't know my snakes at all, but if that is a garter snake, why is the head triangular? I  see garter snakes all the time and have never seen a triangular head. I am pretty sure the garter snake is the only snake I have ever seen. I always thought triangular head meant stay the hell away....When they puff up does the shape of the head change?

• Like 1

Well I spoke with my friend who works for the DEC in my area in the office in the next town from me. The snake is a viscous killer called a  garder snake. A true man eater. Known for killing whole towns. I know for me lesson learned. First thing I'm going to do is get more educated on the venomous snakes. I'm going to get a  snake bite kit just to have. Also since we put the pond in, it improved the habitat for a lot of new critters that will bring in snakes even the scarey ones. Thanks for all the input everyone 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, The Engineer said:

Well I spoke with my friend who works for the DEC in my area in the office in the next town from me. The snake is a viscous killer called a  garder snake. A true man eater. Known for killing whole towns. I know for me lesson learned. First thing I'm going to do is get more educated on the venomous snakes. I'm going to get a  snake bite kit just to have. Also since we put the pond in, it improved the habitat for a lot of new critters that will bring in snakes even the scarey ones. Thanks for all the input everyone 

Your chance of even seeing a venomous snake in ny is pretty slim. Seen 2 in 48 years and we were looking for timber rattlers for a week in letchworth park

Plenty up by the local Emergency Mgmt radio tower.  They have to be trapped and relocated because they're protected.  They relocate about two per week in the summer.  Rocky areas with cool underground holes they can slither into seem to suit them well.

Had a baby one under my house a few years ago.  Only had one bead for a rattle, but struck at the bottom of my boot like a pro when I dared it to.  They're far from rare in many parts of upstate NY.

1 hour ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

The number of rattlers in nearby Pa is unsettling

There are some places in NY where you can find them in good numbers. Tongue Mt. outside of Lake George is just one. A few places in the Catskills too.

We have a den site for timbers on the farm property. Been there for as long as I remember. In the spring and fall, you can usually find a couple there. We leave it alone, and don't bother them. The exact location we keep to ourselves.

Only three times in over 50 years have we seen one outside of that spot.

Copperheads are a bit more common, but very rarely seen too.

This is in Albany County.

I learned a lot about venomous snakes when I lived in SC and Fl. in my younger days. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

The number of rattlers in nearby Pa is unsettling

I follow a guy on FB that is in north PA and hunts snakes alot.. its neat to see what he catches.. And again, im glad hes in PA lol. Saw a video of a rattler swimming in a lake the otherday, somewhere east in NY

• Like 1

• 2 months later...