First AR build in the making..

Finally beginning to purchase the goodies to assemble my first ever AR, Use will be for Predator hunting.  

I went with an AR Stoner Complete upper w/ 18" Fluted BBL in 22 Nosler.   It is an easy swap out to 223, which is another caliber i intend to build next for plinking purposes. Maybe a gift to the wife, and another backup gun for me lol. I plan to get a decent trigger for this setup, and the rest will probably be cheap to get me up in running. As for optic im planning on ATN 3-14x. 

Anyone have any opinions on a cheaper priced, trigger, comfortable stock and grip? 

Edited by LET EM GROW
  • Like 1

Finally beginning to purchase the goodies to assemble my first ever AR, Use will be for Predator hunting.  
I went with an AR Stoner Complete upper w/ 18" Fluted BBL in 22 Nosler.   It is an easy swap out to 223, which is another caliber i intend to build next for plinking purposes. Maybe a gift to the wife, and another backup gun for me lol. I plan to get a decent trigger for this setup, and the rest will probably be cheap to get me up in running. As for optic im planning on ATN 3-14x. 
Anyone have any opinions on a cheaper priced, comfortable stock and grip? 
I personally can recommend the elftmann tactical drop-ins. I have two of their 3-gun triggers and love them! I went with flat faced shoe. https://www.elftactical.com/elf-3-gun-ar-15-drop-in-trigger expensive but it's fantastico!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

Anyone have any opinions on a cheaper priced, comfortable stock and grip? 

I don't have one, but the LaRue trigger is supposed to be darn good for around $100.  The Hogue grip (not fore-end) is great.  Regarding stock, I like the fixed Magpul MOE.  Enjoy the build Bryan.

16 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

I personally can recommend the elftmann tactical drop-ins. I have two of their 3-gun triggers and love them! I went with flat faced shoe. https://www.elftactical.com/elf-3-gun-ar-15-drop-in-trigger expensive but it's fantastico!

They look sweet, but that is out of my league currently, wife about schat when she saw what i spend already and the gun isnt even complete yet. lol. Thank you though! Cheap guy here with a mostly cheap budget lol..

1 hour ago, moog5050 said:

I don't have one, but the LaRue trigger is supposed to be darn good for around $100.  The Hogue grip (not fore-end) is great.  Regarding stock, I like the fixed Magpul MOE.  Enjoy the build Bryan.

I like the price on both of those. And according to the tape measuring, my LOP is about 12-12.5"

None of mine have serial numbers on the receivers. They're just a few boxes of miscellaneous gun parts in my collection of gun parts, according to law. If I sold one of those guns/receivers I'd be breaking the law. I did not purchase them illegally, and I just hold onto them, as parts of course.

• Like 1

I love what PSA has to offer. Ive been following their site for many months now, Actually ordered a hit months ago, but got news on my sons health and cancelled and they gave me greta service throughout. The next one will be a PSA 223 wylde build kit for sure.

I did buy a magpul MOE lower parts kit from PSA last night.. Im Selling the trigger out of it to a friend, and will settle on a 3lb  drop in for 100$ or less.  

I was going to go 80% route but My time is limited and for the first ill just take the easy road

Rock River makes a fantastic trigger. I have the varmit 3.5# and i love it. Another high quality trigger without the price tag. If your going to spend the money on a trigger make sure you put rounds through a gun with it first. They all feel great till there's rounds going down range.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

None of mine have serial numbers on the receivers. They're just a few boxes of miscellaneous gun parts in my collection of gun parts, according to law. If I sold one of those guns/receivers I'd be breaking the law. I did not purchase them illegally, and I just hold onto them, as parts of course.
AKA 80%ers

On 6/17/2019 at 9:59 PM, philoshop said:

You would not break the law to sell them, only if you built them with the INTENT to sell them.

I really don't want to split that hair, Hock3y24. Besides, like I said before they're just parts in boxes now. I didn't even do the work on the 80% receivers. Two came from a friend in Kentucky, and one from a friend in Montana. I have no intention of selling any of them.

i've been back and forth over how to have a setup compliant. fixed mag vs ridiculous grip/butt stock (feature less), or modded bolt catch (bolt release designed to catch the bolt group and must be pressed to load the next round).

i don't like the idea of having to clear the gun or deal with malfunction by opening the upper.  i also don't like the idea of it essentially being a single shot.  i guess right now i'm leaning toward featureless (neutered).

opening up the upper is a pain in the beginning but it gets used to like anything else. I chose to have all of my mags (5 rounders) pinned in place with the ma lock(means arms ar lock) and keep the features I wanted like the adjustable stock (light vs heavy clothing), pistol grip, flash suppressor for night vision with my night vision scopes, etc. Also the 5 round pinned mag is no questions asked for hunting purposes and the troopers here know that if they press the mag release and nothing happens - you're good to go. So I did it to eliminate any problems with DEC and police. I also carry the laws and interpretations of them in the hollow pistol grip---just in case as they all don't know what is legal and what isn't.

good luck with the build

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dbHunterNY said:

i've been back and forth over how to have a setup compliant. fixed mag vs ridiculous grip/butt stock (feature less), or modded bolt catch (bolt release designed to catch the bolt group and must be pressed to load the next round).

i don't like the idea of having to clear the gun or deal with malfunction by opening the upper.  i also don't like the idea of it essentially being a single shot.  i guess right now i'm leaning toward featureless (neutered).

I didn’t like any of those either, but I shoot on private land ( mine ) and if I need to use it for social purposes,I got bigger problems then a drop free 30 round mag .

2 hours ago, dbHunterNY said:

Pin with mag lock and 10td mag.  Takes 1 min to remove if needed.   

Pin with mag lock and 10td mag.  Takes 1 min to remove if needed.   
Went to a shop again tonight. Drive home intent youd epoxy the face of the mag lock but I think intent is already there. If you didnt that'd help you disassemble if bolt got hung up. Otherwise you cant open the upper with the bolt back in the buffer tube.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Confused 1

I didn’t like any of those either, but I shoot on private land ( mine ) and if I need to use it for social purposes,I got bigger problems then a drop free 30 round mag .
Of you have a 30 round mag you dont have to worry about pinning anything. lol

The larue mbt is a really good trigger for the money, even better when they were $80. For drop in check out cmc. Stock like moog said the magpul moe is good for a lower priced option. If you want adjustability check out luth ar. Grip i like the magpul moe+ i think it is...it has the rubber overmold.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dbHunterNY said:

Went to a shop again tonight. Drive home intent youd epoxy the face of the mag lock but I think intent is already there. If you didnt that'd help you disassemble if bolt got hung up. Otherwise you cant open the upper with the bolt back in the buffer tube.

Not sure what you just said.   Lol

Not sure what you just said.   Lol
Some epoxy the maglock i was told tonight so you have to wreck it to take it off. Idea is it shows more intent than mag lock that can be simply unscrewed in a couple minutes. I'd rather not do that. If you get a jam and the bolt group isnt fully forward then itll be impossible to open it up to clear it. You'll have to fumble around through the ejection port.

I went the Magpul MOE. Anderson Aluminum Lower, And a EPT trigger for now. Came with the Lower kit I bought from PSA. Ill sell the trigger kit to a friend , And will be purchasing the LaRue 4.5lb trigger.   Complete Upper arrived Friday, in great condition.. The only downside I will say is the Flash hider slots were not deburred, and if not paying attention you'd cut your hand easily.. Not a big deal to some, but being a machinist.. Its a big pet peeve. I will be writing the company today. Especially for the price, a 1 minute deburr process should not have been skipped.   

PSA kits are in high demand currently and it is being pushed back a week or two to get orders caught up.. Guess that's not a bad problem to have. lol. 

Edited by LET EM GROW
  • Like 1