New Broadheads

Hock3y24

Well a buddy at work turned me onto these heads last year,  saw the results he had on 3 deer, and the lifetime warranty actually be honored after he shot a rock ( they sent him two brand new heads) . Magnus black hornet serazor. They fly identical to my field tips. This is the first shot at 40 yards. 30 yards two shots were a little low left but the broadheads hit each other in the target. 

Never had an issue with my rage heads but it will be nice not having to check my collars all the time. 

BEBE438E-7043-4182-ABAD-9C961FBB75DF.jpeg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hock3y24 said:

Well a buddy at work turned me onto these heads last year,  saw the results he had on 3 deer, and the lifetime warranty actually be honored after he shot a rock ( they sent him two brand new heads) . Magnus black hornet serazor. They fly identical to my field tips. This is the first shot at 40 yards. 30 yards two shots were a little low left but the broadheads hit each other in the target. 

Never had an issue with my rage heads but it will be nice not having to check my collars all the time. 

Nice shot! The collars are the reason I don't like rage. I don't know how many times I would look at my nocked arrow and a blade would be hanging when using Rage. I switched to NAP Killzones and haven't looked back. I really like that head....

• Like 1

same reason i switched to grim reapers.  Love them!   Rage collars were always a PITA for me.  But I did find mine do fly higher with the broad heads. After shooting a bunch noticed that last year.  But now all i practice with is the practice broadheads and not field points so all good.  Tough on the targets though.  One of the reasons I havent done a 3D shoot in a while . Its only a 2" difference but still.

• Like 1

Out of curiousity ,do you pay much attention to your arrow set up? I always struggled to get my broadheads to group with my field points . It wasnt until I added more weight up front on my arrows did the two different tips hit the same. My fixed muzzy 100g shoot the same as my field tips.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hock3y24 said:

I am  switching myself , wife and son to the black hornets this year. The holes and damage they are leaving on deer are comparable to mechanicals. Magnus is a outstanding  company, I used to shoot their stingers and they honor their warranty no questions asked. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

Out of curiousity ,do you pay much attention to your arrow set up? I always struggled to get my broadheads to group with my field points . It wasnt until I added more weight up front on my arrows did the two different tips hit the same. My fixed muzzy 100g shoot the same as my field tips.

I do, I use 50 grain inserts. I find it helps offset the lighted nock.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Hock3y24 said:

I do, I use 50 grain inserts. I find it helps offset the lighted nock.

I am waiting for my new broadheads to come in. Gonna try the montec g5 with lighted nocks on the arrows as well. I am super curious to see where they land compared to my field points. Hopefully the same spot,but there is plenty of time before the season to fine tune everything.

• Like 1

On 6/17/2019 at 3:27 PM, BowmanMike said:

I am waiting for my new broadheads to come in. Gonna try the montec g5 with lighted nocks on the arrows as well. I am super curious to see where they land compared to my field points. Hopefully the same spot,but there is plenty of time before the season to fine tune everything.

I tuned the heck outa my bow last year, paper tune, walk back tuned, bare shaft, and Broadhead tuned. Probably why they shoot so good.

Edited by Hock3y24
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I got my new broadheads,montecs g5,and new arrows. Everything hits the same spot at 20 yds,my old arrows with the broadhead and the new ones with broadheads and lighted nocks. The new string on the bow seems to have sped the arrows up some too,unless i am imagining things. It's a possibility.

• Like 1

I'll be using a new bow this year. Set at 48lbs, I'm wondering what would be a good broadhead? I have used Muzzy and Thunderhead 100gr fixed heads in the past with good results. Should I stick with one of those, or perhaps try something new since I'm shooting lower poundage? The Magnus Black Hornet heads look good, though expensive. But will they perform any better than the ones I've used, with the lower draw weight?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, grampy said:

I'll be using a new bow this year. Set at 48lbs, I'm wondering what would be a good broadhead? I have used Muzzy and Thunderhead 100gr fixed heads in the past with good results. Should I stick with one of those, or perhaps try something new since I'm shooting lower poundage? The Magnus Black Hornet heads look good, though expensive. But will they perform any better than the ones I've used, with the lower draw weight?

I think the biggest thing with shooting BH and lower poundage is to keep the cutting diameter smaller of the broadhead you choose. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

I think the biggest thing with shooting BH and lower poundage is to keep the cutting diameter smaller of the broadhead you choose. 

That is exactly what I'm thinking. May look at the Montec's, as they are pretty small, and I have shot them from my old bow. They actually did shoot very well from that bow. But never did hunt with them, I gave them to a new hunter.

i'd agree that you're not looking for a bone breaking fixed head, but more of a good solid penetrator and slicer. With a lower poundage you'll have need those vitals and a high spine shot and shoulder less likely to be successful. the hypos or trypans should do well.

• Like 1

My vote is for Ramcats, you won't regret it.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

• Like 1

10 hours ago, grampy said:

Take a look at the slick trick standards. Smaller cutting diameter and extreemly sharp. Not a bad deal when gotten from walmart either. 30 bucks for 4 isnt bad at all

• Like 2

Grampy. Sharpen those Muzzys, put them where they belong on your shot and be done w it! Slick tricks as well. The key to your setup, as I m sure you know, is simple. Sharp broad head in the right place = happy bow hunter. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The theory still applies small diameter cut on contact is best bet with low poundage setup. That said the bow discussed is rippin arrows and not the same as bows of say ten years ago. Just stay away from the biggest diameter stuff with aggressive steep angled blades and grampy should be fine. Certain parts of the deer you just arent getting thru no matter how much Ke, arrow weight, or broadhead you're sending down range.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 7/2/2019 at 11:17 AM, grampy said:

That is exactly what I'm thinking. May look at the Montec's, as they are pretty small, and I have shot them from my old bow. They actually did shoot very well from that bow. But never did hunt with them, I gave them to a new hunter.

Expensive up from, but replaceable under warranty for any reason! My buddy shot a rock and they sent him 2 new ones. I’d highly suggest the 2 blade black hornet for your specs.

• Like 1