Fox predation on fawns

Bigfoot 327

I have always assumed that adult fox took a few newborn fawns. This year I am finding fawn parts on an almost daily basis. Our local red population is high, in fact there is an active den just off my lawn and scarcely a day goes by that I don't see at least one fox on our lawn. For the most part I enjoy having fox as neighbors. I have read they keep the rodent population down (and ticks that feed on them as well). But, I am at the point of rethinking this, since it appears that they are taking more than just a few fawns.

IMG_0017.JPG

IMG_0016.JPG

While there is a state highway nearby, I doubt what I am finding is roadkill. I don't think these fawns are old enough to do much except hide in the grass. And a fox doesn't have to take them down when they are already lying down. Give them a couple of weeks and they are to big and to fast for the average fox. And if momma is nearby, the fox is risking his life.

As a side note, nothing gets your attention like hitting deer bones with the riding lawn mower.

I would have to disagree with the roadkill...My son in law drives a van for the county, chaufferring people  all over several  counties to hospitals, etc...He told me just yesterday that he has been seeing quite a few fawns splattered on the highways....

While there is a state highway nearby, I doubt what I am finding is roadkill. I don't think these fawns are old enough to do much except hide in the grass. And a fox doesn't have to take them down when they are already lying down. Give them a couple of weeks and they are to big and to fast for the average fox. And if momma is nearby, the fox is risking his life.
As a side note, nothing gets your attention like hitting deer bones with the riding lawn mower.

My buddies neighbor just hayed his fields and found a bloody mess in the back when he came down for a break. He said he’s gets 2-3 a year cuz they just don’t move.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Those fawn legs were probably chewed by this coyote's kin...moreso than a fox. Even if the leg is found at a fox (red or gray) den...chances are it was still scavenged. Around here, fox are just too small to take on a fawn. I've seen a  bunch of fox dens and a few yote dens. Guess which one has the most deer bones? :rolleyes:

Coyote watching deer in a field .jpg

Edited by Buckstopshere

I was fishing a long time ago and heard a fawn crying when I approached it there was a fox pulling it by the nose and was about to fall into the river when it smelled me it let go ran a little and stood there I took fawn to rehabilitater I figured if mom was around fox would have been run off this was near a main rd

I've seen too many yotes carrying off a fawn.  I've never seen a fox carrying a fawn, but I'm sure it a fox stumbles on a few hr old fawn, it's toast. 

I've got a fox by my house that cruises the road side. I'll see her a mile in either direction walking on the side of the road.  She's looking for any road kill as it's easy pickings.  Keeps this section of the road pretty clean. 

As long as she leaves my chickens alone( there in a fort Knox coop/run), she's good to go. 

Fox are very intelligent, opportunistic feeders. If they come across a very young fawn, they will not go back to their den hungry. And the kits will have full bellies too. That is natures way.

If there are too many predators on your hunting property, hunting or trapping them can be a necessary, and fun way to help keep them in check. 

1) I haven't found any more deer parts on my lawn for several weeks now.

2) I welcome foxes and see them almost daily. Anything they eat denies that food source to coyotes. The only foxes that I shoot are ones that act sick or have  no fear of humans.

3) I have had trail cams surveilling my lawn continuously for the last 4 years. Exactly one yote on film and two observed during that time. 

4) ZERO tolerance for coyotes-any near my place are subject to "sudden onset lead poisoning". 

As deer are still getting hit by cars, I conclude that fawns are now to big to be taken by the foxes.