Is anyone running the ATN (4k or older model) or any other budget friendly Night Vision setup Sightmark etc..? Ive been told by others the ATN is solid, you just need to be a little tech savvy with PC's.. which i think I am. And set it up before the warranty runs out.. Im Looking for some feedback and a budget Night/Day scope. Leaning towards the 4k ATN 3-14x for the AR to hunt the elusive coyote. My partner and I are trying to get away from the red light .. Too many spooked after putting the light over them last year 

T.I.A.

Bryan

Are those units digital ? I have a digital NV monocular ,from a great deal of research ,I bought the best one possible at the time . In some Instances ,it can be as good as gen 3 NV. Distances is what will separate the quality of units.  I would make sure you have the ability to try it out or be able to return it if it doesn't meet your requirements. Digital units require more user input to achieve optimum viewing conditions (gain,focus,IR intensity)

1 hour ago, LET EM GROW said:

My partner and I are trying to get away from the red light .. Too many spooked after putting the light over them last year 

Just my 2 cents and it probably isn't worth any more.

Most night vision scopes and some thermals add approx. 2 +/- lbs. to the weight of the rifle. Considering your typical ar weighs in the 8 lb. range you will end of lugging around 10 or more lbs. and will probably end up also carrying a tripod around adding another lb. or two and one more thing to carry.

Another option is thermal for scanning and a lightweight red light for shooting. I carry a lightweight rifle with a lightweight red light,  scan with the thermal if I feel like carrying it; and shoot offhand so I do not need a bi or tripod but then again I try to keep my shots to a 100 yards or less.

Normally the red light will not spook them unless it is to bright. I only keep the outer edge of the beam on them when the are coming in and only hit them with the light when ready to shoot.

A lot of the newer lights have dimmer controls on them which makes it a easier to control the brightness.

I try to keep things as simple and lightweight as possible but I also know of a few that carry all that stuff around night after night.

• Like 2

I have a photon xt I am happy with for within 150 yards. Also have a sightmark wraith on order for another gun, and have a gen 2+ d750 marauder with a white phosphor tube which am real happy with. I have not heard real good things about ATN tho...but maybe they upped their customer service and quality.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LET EM GROW said:

Is anyone running the ATN (4k or older model) or any other budget friendly Night Vision setup Sightmark etc..? Ive been told by others the ATN is solid, you just need to be a little tech savvy with PC's.. which i think I am. And set it up before the warranty runs out.. Im Looking for some feedback and a budget Night/Day scope. Leaning towards the 4k ATN 3-14x for the AR to hunt the elusive coyote. My partner and I are trying to get away from the red light .. Too many spooked after putting the light over them last year 

T.I.A.

Bryan

Had the 3x14  was a good scope but the factory ir illuminator it came with sucked out passed 100 yards if u check the reviews online u will see most people are buying a better ir illuminator right of the batt 

Edited by silent death
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, moog5050 said:

Check with @wnybuckhunter.  Believe he has one.

You're right, I forgot about that. He does have one. 

35 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

Are those units digital ? I have a digital NV monocular ,from a great deal of research ,I bought the best one possible at the time . In some Instances ,it can be as good as gen 3 NV. Distances is what will separate the quality of units.  I would make sure you have the ability to try it out or be able to return it if it doesn't meet your requirements. Digital units require more user input to achieve optimum viewing conditions (gain,focus,IR intensity)

I do not know the ins and outs of them entirely. Just that they are an electronic scope. Literally dont know much at all about them. I do know you must know what your doing with the instructions, and that most issues are from the user themselves. Not the product.  And I am most certian they come from the factory with a refund warranty, im just not sure how long it lasts. Im big on the warranty or return side of a purchase. It Makes or breaks a lot of my potential deals. I also planned on getting a cheaper monocular to scan with so i dont have to swing a gun all night..  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Engraver99 said:

I have a photon xt I am happy with for within 150 yards. Also have a sightmark wraith on order for another gun, and have a gen 2+ d750 marauder with a white phosphor tube which am real happy with. I have not heard real good things about ATN tho...but maybe they upped their customer service and quality.

The wraith was my 2nd option. But the reviews and opinions arent out there like the ATN products are. ATN got a bad wrath for awhile, but alot of people I talk with or read about, had issues prior to the 4k model. Just like anything there will be a bad one that slips through. And if anyone is like me, I dont put a review on anything, unless I got screwed or it was a garbage product, described as gold.. Keep me posted on the WRaith when you get it. Im very interested. Please and Thanks.   

2 hours ago, Steve D said:

Just my 2 cents and it probably isn't worth any more.

Most night vision scopes and some thermals add approx. 2 +/- lbs. to the weight of the rifle. Considering your typical ar weighs in the 8 lb. range you will end of lugging around 10 or more lbs. and will probably end up also carrying a tripod around adding another lb. or two and one more thing to carry.

Another option is thermal for scanning and a lightweight red light for shooting. I carry a lightweight rifle with a lightweight red light,  scan with the thermal if I feel like carrying it; and shoot offhand so I do not need a bi or tripod but then again I try to keep my shots to a 100 yards or less.

Normally the red light will not spook them unless it is to bright. I only keep the outer edge of the beam on them when the are coming in and only hit them with the light when ready to shoot.

A lot of the newer lights have dimmer controls on them which makes it a easier to control the brightness.

I try to keep things as simple and lightweight as possible but I also know of a few that carry all that stuff around night after night.

I carry a Ruger american now, that is 6.6lbs, plus a nearly 2lb 30mm scope, a loaded mag and the bigger bipod .. iam near the weight range of 10lb give or take. The Ar with an ATN is roughly 2lbs and a pair of stickks or on a tripod at night.. I dont think ill be off to bad. I wa sgoing to build a 243 on 10 platform but i stayed away due to the weight it would have been with nothing on it. I appreciate the advice though. The last 2 seasons we have spooked more with red lights, even when using the bottom of the beam over the top of the dog.. quite a few have bee lined it for the woods.. Whatever i buy, hoping to have a warranty of some sort. But for the price it is action packed, and you cna record shots, day and night. kinda neat. IMO. thank you though Steve. Heres to trying new.. lol.

1 hour ago, silent death said:

Had the 3x14  was a good scope but the factory ir illuminator it came with sucked out passed 100 yards if u check the reviews online u will see most people are buying a better ir illuminator right of the batt 

I heard that as well, but also heard some factory lights get guys out to 500 yards no problem. but that is on the list in case as well. Did you get rid of yours?   

1 hour ago, LET EM GROW said:

The wraith was my 2nd option. But the reviews and opinions arent out there like the ATN products are. ATN got a bad wrath for awhile, but alot of people I talk with or read about, had issues prior to the 4k model. Just like anything there will be a bad one that slips through. And if anyone is like me, I dont put a review on anything, unless I got screwed or it was a garbage product, described as gold.. Keep me posted on the WRaith when you get it. Im very interested. Please and Thanks.   

check out these reviews

https://anchor.fm/thelatenightvisionshow/episodes/Ep--41---ATN-Optics---Discussion-and-Our-Honest-Opinions-e37375

and wraith review

https://anchor.fm/thelatenightvisionshow/episodes/Ep--48---Sightmark-Wraith-HD---Full-Review-e3ku4r

hope that helps some

btw...my bushmaster 16" with my photon xt and sitting bipod is just a shade under 11lbs.

My rock river arms predator pursuit (will be my day gun with the wraith) will come in around 11 pounds with bipod

my rock river arms coyote carbine (my pure night gun) with my gen2+ marauder is about 10 3/4 lbs which i will use with my night stalker tripod/pig saddle combo.

I use a sniper hawg IR light also to help illuminate

Edited by Engraver99
  • Like 1

On 6/18/2019 at 2:18 PM, Engraver99 said:

check out these reviews

https://anchor.fm/thelatenightvisionshow/episodes/Ep--41---ATN-Optics---Discussion-and-Our-Honest-Opinions-e37375

and wraith review

https://anchor.fm/thelatenightvisionshow/episodes/Ep--48---Sightmark-Wraith-HD---Full-Review-e3ku4r

hope that helps some

btw...my bushmaster 16" with my photon xt and sitting bipod is just a shade under 11lbs.

My rock river arms predator pursuit (will be my day gun with the wraith) will come in around 11 pounds with bipod

my rock river arms coyote carbine (my pure night gun) with my gen2+ marauder is about 10 3/4 lbs which i will use with my night stalker tripod/pig saddle combo.

I use a sniper hawg IR light also to help illuminate

It took me a few days to get some time to finally listen to the podcast. So I decided to join the pre order list at Outdoor legacy.. Looks like I'm several months out at the earliest. Sept/Oct. Pretty pumped about this! 

For now ill shoot the AR with my leupold rifleman i have sitting in the gun cabinet. 

Let the anticipation begin lol!  

How do you like the Photon? 

And i dont think i will use a bolt on bipod with this setup. Ill use a set of sticks i can strap on quick, and a tripod with my machined saddle mount for after dark. 

• Like 1

sent ya a private message. I like the photon - just sighted it in on my bushmaster a few days ago. Battery life kind of sucks but it is simple to use, sight in. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles atn has (my personal opinion why they have so much trouble - try and include everything including the kitchen sink). You get a lot of bright bounce back off the leaves, trees ect when using a bright external IR source with any of the digital night vision scopes (I use the sniper hawg ir lights) so you have to adjust the ir for the area your in. I can see a good 300 yards with the IR but I don't like shooting past 150 yards especially at night. As good as the photon is and the wraith is claimed to be no digital night vision will compete with my 750 marauder with the white phosphor tube (gen 2+ night vision). I have the photon on the bushmaster - it will be a spare gun for someone who wants to go with me. I will be putting the wraith on my rock river predator pursuit which will be used as my day gun and will allow me to extend my hunt into evening as well if my day hunt gets into darkness. I also have a coyote carbine from rock river that I have the real night scope on and will use that only when I go out after dark. the wraith looks pretty sweet tho and the sightmark digitals have a good reputation. Have had my photon for about 3 years now.