Bullzeye Archery

Five Seasons

I'm in the Rochester area and this Friday I'm taking a trip to Bloomfield to check out the new Matthews vertix. I fully intend to shop the other brands as well, but I'm a Matthews guy at heart and have heard nothing but good things about this bow. Anyhow, I've done business with traditions and guaranteed in the past but both are gone. Bullzeye has 11 vertix in my draw length alone so I'm going in expecting a good selection.

I also know it's June, so I should be beating any crazy rush or service issues where most shops can get bad reputations from sometimes unreasonable customer expectations.

That said, anything I should know about the place? Any other options for Matthews dealers within an hour of Roc that I should be looking at?

• Like 1

Old man and I drove to bullzeye Friday. What a day... spent the morning at bob johnson getting a new truck and then drove to archery shop and spent more money :(

We got there around 2pm intentionally hoping they weren't busy and they weren't. First off, Rich was an outstanding guy. Very knowledgeable and not pushy or rude. But he's a straight shooter, so if you want warm and fuzzy, he's not your guy. Willing to talk us through certain features and functions of the bows. I went in looking for a mathews but wanted to shoot other bows and I did. The $2k carbon fiber hoyt is just amazing, but weight isn't a big factor for me. I also spent a good hour deciding if I should pull the trigger on a PSE evoke. This bow is incredible. It's cheaper than the mathews and letoff is incredible. You simply cannot inch it forward. This is an absolutely incredible feature for hunting. You can hold your draw longer and not worry about the creep and an accidental letdown or fire. I would think any hunter shooting any size of this make and model made a great choice.

All that said, I am 6'1 with a 30" draw and the traverse just spoke to me. It can't be understated that this bow just feels amazing. There is no noise, no vibration and the draw, letoff and break are all much improved over my 15 year old switchback. 

We were so impressed that my old man is also upgrading to one from his ez7. He only had some camo and black models with green strings which i wasn't feeling so i custom ordered an all camo and black strings. The fancy strings don't do much for me.

I will say this too. Rich is a pretty opinionated dude. Big preference for american made brands, so don't ask why he doesn't carry carbon express arrows lol. But ultimately I was really happy with his inventory and customer service. I even asked him a few times for his preference and he wouldn't give it. He wanted me to decide what I wanted and wouldn't steer me, which I think is great. You don't feel like you're being pushed.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Belo said:

Old man and I drove to bullzeye Friday. What a day... spent the morning at bob johnson getting a new truck and then drove to archery shop and spent more money :(

We got there around 2pm intentionally hoping they weren't busy and they weren't. First off, Rich was an outstanding guy. Very knowledgeable and not pushy or rude. But he's a straight shooter, so if you want warm and fuzzy, he's not your guy. Willing to talk us through certain features and functions of the bows. I went in looking for a mathews but wanted to shoot other bows and I did. The $2k carbon fiber hoyt is just amazing, but weight isn't a big factor for me. I also spent a good hour deciding if I should pull the trigger on a PSE evoke. This bow is incredible. It's cheaper than the mathews and letoff is incredible. You simply cannot inch it forward. This is an absolutely incredible feature for hunting. You can hold your draw longer and not worry about the creep and an accidental letdown or fire. I would think any hunter shooting any size of this make and model made a great choice.

All that said, I am 6'1 with a 30" draw and the traverse just spoke to me. It can't be understated that this bow just feels amazing. There is no noise, no vibration and the draw, letoff and break are all much improved over my 15 year old switchback. 

We were so impressed that my old man is also upgrading to one from his ez7. He only had some camo and black models with green strings which i wasn't feeling so i custom ordered an all camo and black strings. The fancy strings don't do much for me.

I will say this too. Rich is a pretty opinionated dude. Big preference for american made brands, so don't ask why he doesn't carry carbon express arrows lol. But ultimately I was really happy with his inventory and customer service. I even asked him a few times for his preference and he wouldn't give it. He wanted me to decide what I wanted and wouldn't steer me, which I think is great. You don't feel like you're being pushed.

This is the perfect way to buy a new bow!!  Shoot a bunch, with an open mind, and let one speak louder to you than all the rest. Regardless of brand name. Best of luck with your new rig Belo!! Sounds like ya got a winner!! Pic's please, when you get it out to shoot!!!

Congrats on the new truck too!!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

Hmmm....A die hard mathews guy selling us on how great the new mathews are...? An elite guy would never do that LOL. Post some pics of the new rig !!

there's some interesting things going on with Elite right now that you might want to look into. But with regards to the mathews, there are lots of reviews saying the same thing. And I was very close to buying a PSE, so I'm not sure why the hate, you might want to reread my post.

4 hours ago, dbHunterNY said:

...it spoke to you? what'd it say? ...."Biz is watching"?

Seems like a heavy sucker but should be nice shooting. short bows now are just awkward. especially must be at a longer drawlength like yours.

it is def the heaviest of the bows, but I dont spot and stalk or hike lots of miles, so weight doesn't factor much into it.

50 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

they'll be the ones wrapped in Lost camo. Those spoke to him more than the others.

they stopped making lost camo i learned. it's all realtree or sitka now.

2 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I bought my Carbon Element from Rich. I have not had a bad experience at Bullzeye. I can't say the seam for Traditions Archery and that is probably why they are no longer in business. 

Belo. Pretty neat outdoor range there huh?  Nice tower to practice out of as well. 

it is pretty neat. they have some big huge festival in august i might check out. all the big vendors and supporting organizationss. 

I get the truck on wednesday and the bow mid to late july. pics will come then. Again this was a lot harder decision than I imagined it would be, and I think you really can't go wrong with any major new bow and I wouldn't sling hate in any of their directions after shooting 3 of the big players. I think i would just ask the same of any new bow buyer. You may not purchase the mathews, but you can't not be impressed with how it feels.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Belo said:

I get the truck on wednesday and the bow mid to late july. pics will come then. Again this was a lot harder decision than I imagined it would be, and I think you really can't go wrong with any major new bow and I wouldn't sling hate in any of their directions after shooting 3 of the big players. I think i would just ask the same of any new bow buyer. You may not purchase the mathews, but you can't not be impressed with how it feels.

I tend to agree that pretty much all new bows are going to be smooth, fast with a solid back wall.  Not sure where future improvement will come as I suspect even speed is reaching its limits.  I bought a PSE evolve 31 last year (not sure why as I don't use the compound much and didn't need to change) but it feels and shoots very similar elite and obsession and I always thought PSE was harsh but no more.

• Like 3

"This bow is incredible. It's cheaper than the mathews and letoff is incredible. You simply cannot inch it forward. This is an absolutely incredible feature for hunting. You can hold your draw longer and not worry about the creep and an accidental letdown or fire."

Is there a big drop into the valley or does it transition smoothly......sometimes these bows with big valleys are nice but that big dump at the end will do a # on your shoulder when shooting a bunch of arrows.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

"This bow is incredible. It's cheaper than the mathews and letoff is incredible. You simply cannot inch it forward. This is an absolutely incredible feature for hunting. You can hold your draw longer and not worry about the creep and an accidental letdown or fire."

Is there a big drop into the valley or does it transition smoothly......sometimes these bows with big valleys are nice but that big dump at the end will do a # on your shoulder when shooting a bunch of arrows.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

The draw is not as smooth as the Mathews or Hoyt, but not to the point where I’d call it a negative, just not as smooth. And def not where I’d see it do any shoulder issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats on the new bow and wheels Belo! :drinks: Damn, that was one expensive day!! I know you've wanting a new bow for a couple years now! Man, there's something about getting a new bow that re-ignites that desire/passion to shoot! Sometimes I find myself going out to launch a few arrows, just to get it out of my system! LOL

• Like 1

22 hours ago, moog5050 said:

I tend to agree that pretty much all new bows are going to be smooth, fast with a solid back wall.  Not sure where future improvement will come as I suspect even speed is reaching its limits.  I bought a PSE evolve 31 last year (not sure why as I don't use the compound much and didn't need to change) but it feels and shoots very similar elite and obsession and I always thought PSE was harsh but no more.

tuning. the days of shimming cams, paper tuning oddities with nock travel, cam lean at rest versus full draw... all that will be dead.  big efficiency gains happening there, like speed of bow that's tuned vs out of tune. I haven't had any Bowtech bows in over a decade, but their new innovations in bows like the Reckoning are pretty cool.

18 hours ago, dbHunterNY said:

tuning. the days of shimming cams, paper tuning oddities with nock travel, cam lean at rest versus full draw... all that will be dead.  big efficiency gains happening there, like speed of bow that's tuned vs out of tune. I haven't had any Bowtech bows in over a decade, but their new innovations in bows like the Reckoning are pretty cool.

great point. mathews marketing really pushed that solocam tech back in the day and for good reason. Stings weren't what they are now, and tuning the dual cams was a lot trickier and the extra fps was generally not worth it. But times have changed, strings are better which requires less tweaking and tuning and everybody is running dual cams. I don't think we will see giant leaps in archery tech, but things will continue to get lighter, more durable and more forgiving.

29 minutes ago, Belo said:

great point. mathews marketing really pushed that solocam tech back in the day and for good reason. Stings weren't what they are now, and tuning the dual cams was a lot trickier and the extra fps was generally not worth it. But times have changed, strings are better which requires less tweaking and tuning and everybody is running dual cams. I don't think we will see giant leaps in archery tech, but things will continue to get lighter, more durable and more forgiving.

I think the biggest leap in the archery tech world has already taken place with the cam system the Prime bows are using . Now they just need to work on making the draw cycle more consumer friendly.

Edited by Jeremy K