old man river

Getting A Little Closer To My Lifetime Goal.

Quick off season topic here before Trump Speaks tonight. It has been a long road since 1990. In 1994, I also started to Turkey hunt in PA+NJ. I hope to hunt once again in PA. Hunted 20 Springs and Falls there. I took plenty of birds in PA. Still active in NJ. So my lifetime goal is 150 Wild Turkeys with none to be taken on Private land. At 119 now, I might be able to do it in 10 Spring and Fall Seasons if, I take 3 Turkeys a Season. That would bring me to 149 and maybe one of those years, I would need to take 4 Birds.  Almost 60 now-- so, I would be 70 to reach my lifetime goal of 150. Perhaps, I can take more then that. Time Will tell.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Thought goal was going to be setting record for name changes on this forum ;)

Is this three or four? I saw the new name pop up earlier.

Anyways, good luck making your goal "Bill".

• Haha 1

Good luck Bill. or whatever your name happens to be when you reach your goal....  I really mean that....no kidding....honest....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, old man river said:

Quick off season topic here before Trump Speaks tonight. It has been a long road since 1990. In 1994, I also started to Turkey hunt in PA+NJ. I hope to hunt once again in PA. Hunted 20 Springs and Falls there. I took plenty of birds in PA. Still active in NJ. So my lifetime goal is 150 Wild Turkeys with none to be taken on Private land. At 119 now, I might be able to do it in 10 Spring and Fall Seasons if, I take 3 Turkeys a Season. That would bring me to 149 and maybe one of those years, I would need to take 4 Birds.  Almost 60 now-- so, I would be 70 to reach my lifetime goal of 150. Perhaps, I can take more then that. Time Will tell.

Priceless.......

• Like 1

Please support the hunting of Mourning Dove In New York State.  For information, visit nydovehunting.weebly.com/

I don't think my late Girlfriend Patti would like Odysseus as a username. She used to call me old man in fun. So in her honor, I changed it.       Thread above-- I got to thinking about this lately after viewing a 3 or 4 page Thread on Old Gobbler-- Do you know how many Turkeys you have taken or something close. Must did- but few would write a number on a public forum. Who knows what high number it could be- 200,300 +  And you just hope none take over the limit.

• Like 1

Good luck with the goal Bill, I’m betting that you reach it. From what I’ve seen from your posts, you’re a damn dedicated hunter!

I’ve got 149 to go! 

#woodsroads

ps, I like the name.

Edited by Steuben Jerry
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, old man river said:

I don't think my late Girlfriend Patti would like Odysseus as a username. She used to call me old man in fun. So in her honor, I changed it.       Thread above-- I got to thinking about this lately after viewing a 3 or 4 page Thread on Old Gobbler-- Do you know how many Turkeys you have taken or something close. Must did- but few would write a number on a public forum. Who knows what high number it could be- 200,300 +  And you just hope none take over the limit.

Just a personal choice, but I never counted. Been going at it hard since around 2000, was just casual before then. All together, probably around 150-175, if you average 8 or 9 a year a year since I got serious & a handful before that. I haven't gotten bored with chasing these silly creatures yet.

• Like 3

8 or 9 Turkeys each year is great Uncle Nicky! I seem to be getting back to taking 3- 4 a season between 2 States.  Pretty sure, I took 5  some years when the Fall take was 2 in some areas of NY and both could be taken on the same day. I remember 2 Jakes walking up a Rockwall together after a scatter 30 minutes before. 1 shot and 2 Birds down.I think, I have done that 5 or 6 times or so with Jakes and Hens. I Whistled them in. All that is in the past now though since the 2015 change.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Thought goal was going to be setting record for name changes on this forum ;)

I feel left out....I considered changing my screen name..Then I discovered that Runt, Midget, Shorty and Squirt are all taken....<< SIGH>>…..

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Not much of a Turkey hunter myself Bill but I can certainly recognize you have had a pretty fair run, congrats and hope you make your goal.

Al

• Thanks 1

Serious Dogs For Serious Work

6 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

I feel left out....I considered changing my screen name..Then I discovered that Runt, Midget, Shorty and Squirt are all taken....<< SIGH>>…..

Dan you can use Chiquita - back in the game baby!

• Like 1

My goal is to live to be 100 and be murdered by a jealous husband.  Everyone needs a goal.  I'm just not capable of counting past 20 or so.  :derisive:

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, old man river said:

8 or 9 Turkeys each year is great Uncle Nicky! I seem to be getting back to taking 3- 4 a season between 2 States.  Pretty sure, I took 5  some years when the Fall take was 2 in some areas of NY and both could be taken on the same day. I remember 2 Jakes walking up a Rockwall together after a scatter 30 minutes before. 1 shot and 2 Birds down.I think, I have done that 5 or 6 times or so with Jakes and Hens. I Whistled them in. All that is in the past now though since the 2015 change.

There's a lot of spring jakes & fall hens & poults involved Bill...lots of guys won't shoot them, but I'm not all that fussy after I'm up early and walked a couple miles....

I have this person blocked, who is it?

Oh Bill

Edited by Paula
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Guess, I am number oriented because of Decades at Bollenbach's Gym. I always kept a Journal in the Gym as well.  Now this Thread and the replys had me Remember a day at wallyworld when, I was the Shoe man. That's right-- and this employee would help you- not disappear into the back somewhere. Anyway-- this guy comes in needing help. He is wearing Camo- so the talking got to hunting. Now this is back in around 2004. He started to talk about Turkey hunting up in Delaware County, I believe. So, I just listened and finally asked-- how many Turkeys have you taken and , I believe he said close to 180. He looked to be no more then 33-34 .  Then, I said--  I thought the total limit was 4 in a NY Season. I swear he turned kind of white as the blood drained from his face. He realized that, I was not a beginner and that he had -- let the cat out of the bag!! He soon left the shoe dept- no purchase. 

• Haha 2

Right Uncle Nicky-- plenty of Adult Hens and Big Jakes. Still at 49 Gobblers-- #50 eluded me this Spring. 37 Big Jakes and 33 Hens. Number oriented from keeping a workout journal. With a 2 week Fall Season + a 1 week Season in NJ-- whoever shows up first gets to ride home with me. 

why not just add some other states to get you to 150 sooner? CT isn't far

• Like 1

"The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind."

Nothing pressing- it's all good-- just thought, I would share an off season topic. Just enough extra money for 2 States to hunt. Hey,if, I was rich, I would  Spring Hunt in 7-8 States each Spring  and take a few Birds in each- LOL. 

• Like 1