TICK TOC

hunterman7956

That poor Deer must have been living in agony, no question Ticks have become more and more widespread in recent times. When I was a kid I never saw them in my area but over the last 20 years they have started turning up both on me and my hunting dogs. Had to treat several dogs for Lyme.

Can't be too careful these days when it comes to moving about in known Tick areas. Deet is the best repellant, Sawyers for your clothes

Gamehide has a sale going on for different sets of their "Elimitick" clothing, I just sent off for a set as it is highly rated. What I like is it will repel Ticks for the life of the clothing, we shall see.

https://gamehide.com/product-category/elimitick-hunting-clothing/

Al 

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

Populations of pests (ticks included) always rise and fall. That's the way nature works. They also can quickly rebound from population crashes (called resurgence). I've seen mind boggling numbers of critters in my 40+ years in Entomology. Keep on the DEET and Permethrin boyz!

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, BowmanMike said:

Creepy little bastards. As far as i know there is nothing to be done about the ticks. It would be interesting to know why the population increased so much. Are they copying us humans?

My understanding is they love our mild winters last decade or so..fortunately I live in coldest spot in wny and on top of a mountain -20 with minimal snow cover is common each winter for a few nights in a row.. i truly believe this is what controls them here. Down at the bottom of road   while i have snow it may be raining and friends there have a few ticks around..   but still nothing like down state it seems

• Like 1

It could be the meddle of January downstate gun hunting. If the temps break 40 degrees those buggers are out in force. Had like 30 ticks on me when this played out one year. When I was a kid we had a place in the Hamptons. My brothers and I would be in the woods all day and on occasion had a tick or two. BTW ticks are bad but we also have Chiggers that bite the hell out of you. Gives you a rash for days and you cant stop scratching. 

8 minutes ago, old man river said:

Lyme Conn had one of the first outbreaks-- hence the term- Lyme. That military research island is somewhere between Long Island and Conn. Orange County is only 52 miles away from NYC.  Be careful of 100 percent DEET. I started with that and got some nervous shakes after a few weeks. Stopped right away. 25 percent is high enough. Read the cans. Some will say 25,22 - all the way down to 10 percent DEET.

Old man I think its Plum Island off the north shore of LI. Yup a lot of shit goes on there!

• Thanks 1

I know some other people said it but my hair started itching the second I started looking at that pic.....

I must be the only one with a teenage daughter because I am pretty sure there is a tic toc app for videos or something...That's what I thought this thread was going to be about...

Nice, the Mrs and I just  spent an hour walking the dog on trails in Webster, we have tons of ticks here . The dog is  on tick med. and we soak our shoes and socks in Sawyers, as well as use repellent on exposed skin , I can’t show her that pic as she’ll be itching and making me check her .....

9 hours ago, rachunter said:

You'd think the states would get together and figure something out.I was fishing on the beach last week and one bit me hard enough to feel it.It's to the point you can't enjoy the outdoors here on long island.

Very true, I know it’s bad on the east end from bow hunting out there, But I live in oyster bay and it’s out of control up here too. I’m sure the growing deer population has a lot to do with it.

• Like 1