Dumb Things You've Seen At A Boat Launch

grampy

This got brought up in the 'Live From The Water' thread, so thought it would make a fun thread of it's own.

Where do i even begin???  I've run boats since my teen years, and have seen so many dumb things at boat launches. Even committed a few myself.

I have seen three different tow vehicles sunk, due to not setting a parking brake while in neutral, or leaving it in reverse.

Seen boats sunk at the launch, or take on a bunch of water, because the plug was never put in. I did this ONCE!! (never tell someone else to do this, and assume they did)

I've seen some really good knock down drag out brawls, where even the "ladies" got in on the action!

Seen young kids swimming right in the launch itself, as their parents are passed out drunk at the picnic table.

Seen enough bumpers mangled by jackknifed trailers that a bodywork guy could retire.

Seen grown men cry when after 25 attempts to back the boat into the water, they still could not do it on attempt number 26.

Seen so many boob flashes as women attempt to board the boat and slip, or are moving around in the boat as it gets launched. (this is not a bad thing) mostly........

Seen the skegs on so many outboards torn off by the ramp because the motor was not raised and left in the down position. Even a few lower units took damage from this as well. 

Seen people pulled into the water that were holding the boatline, or just lost the boatline, and the boat just floats away with no one in it.

I really could go on and on, but will leave plenty of room for other comments that are sure to come.

If you ever want some really good free entertainment, just go to any boat launch on a weekend afternoon!!!  One of my favorites is the Mayfield launch on Sacandaga. Two ramps of fun in the sun!

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

We use to sit at the Oswego launch and sometimes that would provide us with laughter for the whole weekend......  Seen more memorable stuff there than anywhere but saw someone-drop the boat right on concrete   30 feet from water at gullys....  That was the worse thing I seen at a launch..........

• Sad 1

lol I've seen a some interesting things too.

I saw three Russian guys coming in from fishing back the trailer to far down the state ramp on a local river. The wheels dropped over the end. The were in the water trying to lift it up. Then they brilliantly unhooked it from the hitch. Well that ended that and the whole trailer went kaplunk! It was a lot funnier cause they were swearing up and down and at each other all in Russian, which I know none of but could still get the jist. We never did stick around to see if they ever pulled that out or if it is 20 feet down.

Now myself the first time I launched the new us bass boat hooked the line to the boat, handed the line to my young son to hold. Backed her in, boat slips off and I park the truck. Coming down the boys yelling Dad, Dad!! The boats floating away no rope attached. I made a running leap off the dock and hit half in and half out. Banged my shit up but saved the boat. I hadn't clipped it in all the way I guess. Did the quick look around making sure no one was around to see that shit. My son still gives me shit about it lol. Only did that once so I have a learning curve!

Edited by Fletch
  • Like 5

Lol great thread.  I think funniest thing I saw was a Erie county sheriff waiting for a boater to come in to sturgeon point. Once the boat was pulled onto a trailer the officer stepped in and administered a field sobriety test. Boater did not pass. I wondered if he got one for boating and one for driving but didnt stick around to find out. 

Worse thing I ever did was I backed my small 14 ft down the cheviot ramp and had rope through rear back window....  Pulled down fast then slammed brakes  and pulled truck back up....  Worked good as usual , only problem was rope wasn't tied to boat...  Realized it and parked truck to run down the ramp to dock which was wet from rain......  I fell and slid down the steep dock and cell phone fell into river... then i had to jump in river and go swimming for my boat...   Somehow there was not one person there to witness it....

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I've been helping my friend launch his boat and reload back on trailer the last few times when we go.

First mishap on first venture for me on it :Seen people pulled into the water that were holding the boatline, or just lost the boatline, and the boat just floats away with no one in it. Yup, I'm on boat and it floats away into the harbor. He's yelling swim back with a tow line and I'm yelling I can't swim  Don't even remember how I got back to shore and I'm still traumatized over the ordeal.

Last year he took me and my daughter out a few times. Boat on trailer and I'm in boat taking things out to put in his truck. I reach leg out of boat onto step plate of trailer to jump out of boat, foot slips and gets wedged between frame of trailer and boat with my leg bent the wrong way and full weight of my body and me hanging upside down .I was scared $hitless as it happened so fast. He's a smallish guy and  grabbed my arms to pull me up with no success. Somehow I reached around backwards and grabbed edge of boat to pull myself up foot still stuck. Friend frees my foot and I let off another tirade of words my daughter has only heard on the bus. NO idea how I didn't pop out my knee, tear Achilles etc. 

Other than my own 2 personal mishaps I have nothing to report:pleasantry:

• Like 4

Well the dumbest and funniest thing I ever saw at a boat launch pier was a Hasidic Jewish couple with a young child trying to get into a rented row boat at a state park.  All three were dressed how you would typically see a Hasidic Jew dressed.  They were not wearing anything close to what an average person would be wearing for a day at a state park.  So first, the Mom and child step off the pier into the boat to seat themselves.  All good until Daddy, all 250 lbs plus of him decides to skip lively off the pier and into the boat.  As you probably guessed, that didn't end well.  All three of them took an unexpected bath in the lake fully clothed!   They all had life vests on so they were safe, but soaked up to their necks nonetheless.  Dad's yarmulke even fell off his head and it almost floated away! LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

i've seen some sh!t too. I do sometimes feel bad for the guy/gal who is learning the whole boat/trailer/launch thing and some a55shole is impatient and giving them a hard time. Although, if you're new to this thing, dont go during a busy period. It does take some practice though.

• Like 2

I seen a guy once put boat in with kids in car seats once.......  Now I usually do not get involved but I have seen trucks be submerged or heard stories of people losing there trucks...  I gave him a heads up and his response was " you know I never even thought of that" ....  he was there grandfather....  Imagine having to tell your son or daughter that story......

• Like 2

Just now, steve863 said:

Well the dumbest and funniest thing I ever saw at a boat launch pier was a Hasidic Jewish couple with a young child trying to get into a rented row boat at a state park.  All three were dressed how you would typically see a Hasidic Jew dressed.  They were not wearing anything close to what an average person would be wearing for a day at a state park.  So first, the Mom and child step off the pier into the boat to seat themselves.  All good until Daddy, all 250 lbs plus of him decides to skip lively off the pier and into the boat.  As you probably guessed, that didn't end well.  All three of them took an unexpected bath in the lake fully clothed!   They all had life vests on so they were safe, but soaked up to their necks nonetheless.  Dad's yarmulke even fell off his head and it almost floated away! LOL

last year at sodus bay we're boarding my FIL's boat and it's easily in the high 80's and some amish were fishing in and around the docks. Full amish gear in the blazing sun...

Saw a 70+ year old guy pop a guy about 6'4 and in his 40's in the teeth at black lake cause he cut in front of him.   Three of us launched while that mess was sorted out.  

My step Grandfather used to take his chair at the campground at Jacque cartier state park and sit and watch everyone.  Someone would ask him what he was doing and he woudl say he has a lot of stock in good year and likes to sit here and watch his stock go up from the spinning tires.   He even took a cold drink. 

have seen the infamous- boat to dock leg split and dunk - several times.  

have seen an amphibious car drive right out and into the water and across the st lawrence.  

One time the border patrol had two vehicles and were waiting on a guy at the launch coming from canada in a canoe in 2-3 foot waves with the canoe full of booze up to his legs. 

oh you gotta love it.   

• Like 3

My buddy was launching his boat, and I was holding the boat line. It was only a 14' row boat, but for some reason he backed in rather fast and hit the brakes hard. Dam boat flew off the trailer and if I didn't let go of the line, I'd have gotten wet. Fortunately, there were several people there seen the whole thing and we're more than willing to let my buddy know he messed up. 

Once seen a guy loose boat and trailer into the lake on a rather steep launch. Seems a 2 5/16" coupler won't stay on a 2" ball, and didn't have any safety chains either. Luckily, cousin and I had just loaded up and we're getting ready to leave. 

Edited by mowin

Left the E-brake on trying to get the boat out of the water!  :rolleyes:

Left the back straps on the trailer to the boat when launching.  

First time I unhooked the boat (Brand new center console!) and asked my buddy to drive back into the water slowly.  When he hit the brake the boat started to slide off the rollers!  I was about 4 ft from the water!  I yelled back it up!   Back it up!  He starts to argue with my why he should do this!  Lucky for me at the last min he backed up a few more feet and the boat just made in the water with a big splash!  After that instance I do everything myself, including that drain plug in the back! 

Forgot to put that one in my bass boat and was wondering why it was so low!  Pull it out!  Pull it out NOW!  He listened to me that time!  lol

Seen so many unskilled drivers trying to backup a trailer, a few times I just asked if they wanted me to do it, most said yes, big time saver especially when trying to get onto or out of the water! 

• Like 2

I have got a few smiles, and heartfelt thank you's. After seeing someone, like a dad and his young family having trouble backing their boat to the water. I just tell them put your hand on the bottom of the steering wheel, and move it in the direction you want the trailer to go.

I do try to help when I can.

Like NFA_ADK said, if you're not familiar with doing this, practice in a parking lot before going to the launch.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, grampy said:

I have got a few smiles, and heartfelt thank you's. After seeing someone, like a dad and his young family having trouble backing their boat to the water. I just tell them put your hand on the bottom of the steering wheel, and move it in the direction you want the trailer to go.

Like NFA_ADK said, if you're not familiar with doing this, practice in a parking lot before going to the launch.

I showed a guy who lived on my Rd that trick a few years ago.  I'd see him trying to back in his horse trailer at least once a month.  One day he was really flustered because there were several people waiting not so patiently to get by. When I got out of my truck, he snapped at me saying he was doing his best.  Told him what to do, and coached him as he backed up.  He was extremely grateful. As we're the others waiting to get by. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, grampy said:

And Start your boat and put plug in while at home , that way no surprises at ramp . Oh and remove canvas and load the damn boat in your driveway ,not on the ramp !

Heres one of many , I pull boat into ramp, while wife  holds it ,I walk in front of  a suv that just pulled up to launch ( she’s kind of in the on deck circle )  with my keys in hand towards my car . As I start to back up I see her backing down ramp towards my boat ( Mrs is looking other way talking to friends ) , I run over yelling STOP . She says “ what” I say my boat is in water and you’re going to hit it , she says , “ well I don’t know what’s going on !!!” No crap lady , then she’s pissed that she has to drive around again so I can get out .

Now after we left our friends say she was FMing me ... even more funny her battery was dead, and guy at marina that jumped it was a bit annoyed as it’s always dead when she launches .

Edited by Stay at home Nomad
  • Like 1

It doesn't really frustrate me if someone isn't good at backing in.  They are trying and it takes some practice. And I have helped a lot of people , I'm a CDL driver trainer as well so I try to help out.  

Its people that are screwing around and don't care about anyone else that do.bug me. 

I could never backup a hay wagon I know that.  With the double trailer.....nope it doesn't make sense. Lol

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 1

In watkins glen I watched as this guy came ripping in backs up yelling at his wife .  She gets out  redfaced visibly  upset . He is just muttering swearing the whole time... hands her the rope  backs down the ramp slams on the brakes  boat slides  half way  off and he guns it forward.  She is yelling at him to stop and he yells shut the f up he knows what he is doing . He drags the glass boat up the ramp until the lower unit  snags the ramp boat come all the way off  the trailer landing on the ramp with a big crack.. Wife is in tears .. jerk off gets out and starts yelling at her . He wants help pushing it into the water. Couple of us  help him get it floating rather than  drag it off the ramp. He actually thought he could pull it up onto the trailer with a hand winch.... then dumbass tells her to get into the boat .. fires up the motor and away he goes . He didn't get out of the canal before turning around  as the boat was taking on water  from the crack in the hull. Now he wants the ramp cleared so he can save his boat ... his wife walked away sobbing. 

Would have been hilarious  except we were all worried  about the wife.

Edited by Nytracker
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

No boat ramp, but a funny story..A couple of friends and I were catching turtles at a local pond..We got one REALLY big REALLY pissed off snapping turtle in the boat..Forgot to bring a sack, so the turtle is in the bottom  of the boat just mad as hell and snapping like crazy...I am perched up on the bow of the little 12 foot rowboat, trying to keep out of his range....

We pull up to the dock. with the snapper still hissing and snapping at my heels....My two buddies jump up on the dock with me still perched on the bow..

The bow goes DOWN and I go head over heels into the water...Fortunately, the snapper stayed in the boat....

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

Buddy was a trapper in high school , once in a while reaching into a runway , he’d pull out a snapping turtle , they were pretty lethargic due to,cold weather . 

He brought home one the size of a trash can lid , had it in a large cardboard box in the family room, that,thing scared the crap out of me !

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, grampy said:

Damn, Grampy...nobody ever told me that before,,As Rob can attest, I'm not too good at backing in boats...I will definitely take your advice and try that next time...

• Like 1