Rough cut trail mower

anyone have any exp with these. Ratings on several sites are pretty good.  Been thinking about one for our land lease to help keep up with mowing and open up some spots.  Would use behind a 4 wheeler . https://www.mowersdirect.com/Swisher-RC14544BS/p9869.html?utm_term=0catch9869&gclid=CjwKCAjw3azoBRAXEiwA-_64OuluT3EElTtqNNytkmD2ddEz0UPJ_u-mS83IBvxS-NpnSa_UVFqMfhoCZqAQAvD_BwE

3 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

Dont have reviews for you, but am interested as well. I do know there is some good used ones for sale on craigslist currently. I been contemplating finding a good condition mower deck and setting a small engine on it to tow behind a quad. 

we thought about that too but where we would have to go the grass right now is waist high.  

ive looked at a few used ones and seems like everyone want 1K plus for them or they are just beat.  

No experience with the trail mower but I did own one of their finish mowers. Mine was a piece of junk and I spent more time making repairs than using it. Pretty hard to get parts if you need them. You almost always have to order because most local places or big box stores don't carry them. Finally gave up on it after a couple of seasons. Maybe the trail is a better design and the fact that it wouldn't get used as often may make it last longer.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

we thought about that too but where we would have to go the grass right now is waist high.  

ive looked at a few used ones and seems like everyone want 1K plus for them or they are just beat.  

Put a set of bigger cart tires on it, so it is 8-10" off the ground. Then cut off the front guard so it doesn't roll grass/weeds over before it cuts it. It makes a world of difference. W edid this with a push mower. put bigger wheels on it and cut off the front gaurd. The thing cuts like a pastured cow! 

• Like 1

they work totally fine but don't treat them like a brush hog and chipping down sapplings. just cut them with a chainsaw or go around them.  old house i used an old swisher and it worked great. that was 10 years ago. the field was a lawn within that summer. had to go slow as the stuff was really thick and tall. biggest take away is when it's that tall you have to pay attention the atv. if you're having to let off the gas constantly to keep a slow speed you'll abuse the hell out of the clutch.
35232_767026730278_4473906_n.jpg.79b4bc91d85453296ed87b112410ef83.jpg35232_767026725288_7097612_n.jpg.20a461300e8fa3183bea2fc5dcffd5ca.jpg35232_767026720298_3026709_n.jpg.c1f1eb2834606bd6583f285fc3a4a704.jpg

Edited by dbHunterNY
  • Like 3

These mowers have their uses and places to be used in/around. OP, gotta decide what you expect to use a mower for! Different equipment available for small-ish trails/shooting lanes vs keeping open areas manicured. Then there's the time you can dedicate to doing this task!! Can destroy one if thinking you'll mow areas with potholes. boulders. stumps, ruts or wet areas, regardless of "stump jumper" advertising. Been there, done that!

Not for everyone, but I used a self-propelled, walk-behind 24" brushhog to keep ~1.5mi of ATV trails (~6' wide) open and shooting lanes cleared around 10+ treestands. Sounds like a lot of work, but you only have to mow a couple times each summer to keep areas cleared. FYI- A walk-behind is a lot more maneuverable and can get into areas an ATV with attached mower can not!

Like another member mentioned, with a Swisher product you'll become super familiar with repairs and the companies parts website.

• Thanks 1

I've got a real old one. Still works fine but pretty beaten up. Like "let em grow" said put bigger tires on it. I cut a bunch of saplings down some one year and I was hitting them with the front guard. I also used it behind my mower and angled it off and had a pretty wide cut right there!

IMG_0785.jpg

• Like 2