Got Me A Maine Moose Tag!!!

Got a tag for a cow moose in Maine but I'm putting in for the tag swap so hopefully can get a bull. Even I can't swap them I'm still super excited. Going with OMM outfitters. Gonna be an expensive trip but moose is my dream hunt. If all goes well then elk will be next on the list or maybe bear. Got really luck because this is only like the 3rd or 4th year I entered the lottery. im freakin pumped!!!!

• Like 26

3 minutes ago, 518BowSlayer said:

Got a tag for a cow moose in Maine but I'm putting in for the tag swap so hopefully can get a bull. Even I can't swap them I'm still super excited. Going with OMM outfitters. Gonna be an expensive trip but moose is my dream hunt. If all goes well then elk will be next on the list or maybe bear. Got really luck because this is only like the 3rd or 4th year I entered the lottery. im freakin pumped!!!!

congratulations, that’s awesome. Don’t forget the photos when you go.   

That’s awesome!!! I’ve hunted with omm outfitters for black bear about three years ago!!  You will not be disappointed.  The effort he puts into his guiding is second to none.  I’m not sure if your camp will be on eagle lake but the cabins there are amazing and the food is delicious!!  Good luck!!  Can’t wait for pictures!!

55 minutes ago, Pav2704 said:

That’s awesome!!! I’ve hunted with omm outfitters for black bear about three years ago!!  You will not be disappointed.  The effort he puts into his guiding is second to none.  I’m not sure if your camp will be on eagle lake but the cabins there are amazing and the food is delicious!!  Good luck!!  Can’t wait for pictures!!

yea they seem pretty legit, might go ahead and book a bear hunt for next year while im there

24 minutes ago, Daveboone said:

Cool! Maine is a once in a lifetime! When is the season? How long is it? Whatcha going to use?

my cow tag is for Oct 28 - Nov 2 but if I swap for a bull it would be either Sept 23 - 28 or Oct 14 - 19. definitely going with a rifle. either my 30-06 or I might borrow my dads 300 win

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Congrats!! That's awesome. Been putting in for that for 10+ years. Make a thread when u go. Would love to hear about it.  What area do you get? 

wmd 3 but could change if I swap. outfitter said its a great unit and much easier hunting than 1 or 2. there will be plenty of pics!!!

1 hour ago, Pav2704 said:

if I keep this cow tag than im pretty sure id be staying at the eagle lake camp. the pics of it look amazing!!!

1 minute ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Yeah any of the first 6 . Nice.  It's like a 90% tag fill rate there I believe. 

You are def gonna have some action.  

Prob gonna be hard to swap a cow tag for a bull tag but worth a shot. But that's gonna be a great hunt. Congrats 

the outfitter said a lot of the maine residents will swap if you throw some cash in the deal. I think he said generally $500 - $1000. id be willing to do that if its still a good area

Just now, 518BowSlayer said:

the outfitter said a lot of the maine residents will swap if you throw some cash in the deal. I think he said generally $500 - $1000. id be willing to do that if its still a good area

Oh wow that's cool to know.  I will have to remember that if I ever get one. 

My cousin's wife got a bull tag.  He's the alternate hunter.  Most likely he'll be doing the shooting. 

I'm going up with them to help out. 

Good friend in Maine is a registered guide, and his son also got a bull tag.  

We'll be looking for 2 bulls

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mowin said:

My cousin's wife got a bull tag.  He's the alternate hunter.  Most likely he'll be doing the shooting. 

I'm going up with them to help out. 

Good friend in Maine is a registered guide, and his son also got a bull tag.  

We'll be looking for 2 bulls

That's awesome!!! And helpers get moose steaks!  Its a rule

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 518BowSlayer said:

my cow tag is for Oct 28 - Nov 2 but if I swap for a bull it would be either Sept 23 - 28 or Oct 14 - 19. definitely going with a rifle. either my 30-06 or I might borrow my dads 300 win

Don't sweat your '06....its plenty . They aren't that hard to put down, just go a heavier bullet. My 8x 57 Mauser dropped two to the first shot (175 gr) , and my buddies 30-06 with Federal premium Barnes bullets, (167 gr. if I recall correctly,) did the same. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, 518BowSlayer said:

if I keep this cow tag than im pretty sure id be staying at the eagle lake camp. the pics of it look amazing!!!

Yeah... cabins are right on the lake.  You will park your truck and they pick you up on a pontoon boat and bring you into camp.  The food is amazing... lobsters, Delmonico steaks, and my favorite was the moose stew!  Nate is very knowledgeable and definitely puts the work into the moose hunts.  I shot my bear early in the week and drove around with him after.  He would drop off hunters for the afternoon bear hunt and then scout till dark.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 518BowSlayer said:

Oh..By the way... CONGRATS on your draw my friend..!!  I applied for about 20 years and never got a sniff...Finally gave up.....

I know MANY people who have applied for the Maine tag, but don't know anyone personally that has ever drawn....

On the other hand, I know at least half a dozen who have drawn New Brunswick tags( including yours truly)  ...One friend has drawn 3 tags in the last 20 years...Odds are not good there either, but for the appx $35 application fee, it's the one tag I still apply for each year..

51 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

Oh..By the way... CONGRATS on your draw my friend..!!  I applied for about 20 years and never got a sniff...Finally gave up.....

I know MANY people who have applied for the Maine tag, but don't know anyone personally that has ever drawn....

On the other hand, I know at least half a dozen who have drawn New Brunswick tags( including yours truly)  ...One friend has drawn 3 tags in the last 20 years...Odds are not good there either, but for the appx $35 application fee, it's the one tag I still apply for each year..

Same here, applied for 20+ years and gave up. And same with actually knowing someone who was successful in getting a tag. But my luck in drawing anything anywhere is horrible; point creep out west has made those years of applying useless too. 

Good luck with hunt! Seen Maine moose several times, gonna be fun.:drinks:

10 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Congrats and good luck with the swap!

Maybe Maine has a forum you can post on about a swap offer? Or Bowsite has a “Maine subforum”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thank you. they do have a swap website, the outfitter is gonna help me with it. they know which areas are better than others. but I would be perfectly happy going after a cow if I can't swap

• Like 1