4 days at the cabin.......

First-light

So I get up there. I find out Red Squirrels are living in the eve of the cabin. I shoot one of the adults Saturday morning. Closed up the hole but left open a small area for the other one to come out of. Sunday morning I see it leave so I screwed it shut. Mistake #1 she had young ones in there and came back during the day and got back in by making a new hole in the eve . I made sure they had a way out before I left I guess there are young ones up there? I Will they come back? Did see an all white coyote along rt 21 near Hornell. It was really cool. Just did so much damn work it was amazing I stayed awake on the drive home! 

• Like 2

Sounds like my last few week ends. On the first, I put in a nice new deck on the front, which hopefully next year gets enclosed to a screened in porch.  I planted a few apple trees, oaks, and chestnuts, and transplanted a load of day lilies and trilliums from our home. THis past w/e, I replaced the steps into the back porch, and tore down the rider mower and got her running again...thank goodness, I hate the thought of replacing it. I cant complain though, I have gotten ten years out of the 75 bucks I paid for this one (mid seventies vintage Dynamark).

When that was all done, I had to replace a few soffit boards to keep the varmints out, a pain in the butt to do when you are working alone up on a ladder! a few more boards to go, but they wait until next year, spray foam has the holes closed for now!. At least next week end when we go up, it will be to just relax.

1 hour ago, First-light said:

So I get up there. I find out Red Squirrels are living in the eve of the cabin. I shoot one of the adults Saturday morning. Closed up the hole but left open a small area for the other one to come out of. Sunday morning I see it leave so I screwed it shut. Mistake #1 she had young ones in there and came back during the day and got back in by making a new hole in the eve . I made sure they had a way out before I left I guess there are young ones up there? I Will they come back? Did see an all white coyote along rt 21 near Hornell. It was really cool. Just did so much damn work it was amazing I stayed awake on the drive home! 

I haven't seen damage from red squirrels nut have seen the handy work of grays inside a building......I'd be afraid, VERY afraid to see the results.

Good luck FL.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daveboone said:

Sounds like my last few week ends. On the first, I put in a nice new deck on the front, which hopefully next year gets enclosed to a screened in porch.  I planted a few apple trees, oaks, and chestnuts, and transplanted a load of day lilies and trilliums from our home. THis past w/e, I replaced the steps into the back porch, and tore down the rider mower and got her running again...thank goodness, I hate the thought of replacing it. I cant complain though, I have gotten ten years out of the 75 bucks I paid for this one (mid seventies vintage Dynamark).

When that was all done, I had to replace a few soffit boards to keep the varmints out, a pain in the butt to do when you are working alone up on a ladder! a few more boards to go, but they wait until next year, spray foam has the holes closed for now!. At least next week end when we go up, it will be to just relax.

Speaking of ladders. To get to the hole it was at the top of the eve. I opened the window and got a strong rope and put on my safety harness.Tied it to the post on the staircase.  I cinched it all the way up and never looked down. To kill a deer I'll go 20' up but squirrels! lol

1 hour ago, Bionic said:

FirstLight! We had a red squirrel in our cabin in the Adirondacks too, we used peanut butter on a rat trap....worked PERFECTLY.  

Look What I did before I left this morning! My neighbor will check every other day and reset as necessary! 

583072461.jpg

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, G-Man said:

It never ends with red squirrels.. I shot 53 out of the yard one summer, basterds still get in the barn. Kill one and more show up..

Im surprised they picked my place. The nearest woods is 40 yards away. Pretty open for them to dash to the nest from the woods. I should prop up a big plastic Owl on the eve of the cabin.

44 minutes ago, First-light said:

Im surprised they picked my place. The nearest woods is 40 yards away. Pretty open for them to dash to the nest from the woods. I should prop up a big plastic Owl on the eve of the cabin.

They will prolly chew a hole in it and set up a home inside it..  worse rodent ever...

• Haha 1

The schoolyard behind my house is a huge wide open lawn and there are squirrels out in the middle all the time, I can't believe the hawks don't smoke them regularly. There's always a hawk or two in sight

On 6/24/2019 at 5:19 PM, First-light said:

I saw one on rt 21, in fremont, just north of hornell, 2 years ago. Wonder if its the same one or another. IT was a good sized dog then! 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, LET EM GROW said:

I saw one on rt 21, in fremont, just north of hornell, 2 years ago. Wonder if its the same one or another. IT was a good sized dog then! 

I would say around 35-40lbs. All white running along side of the road in the weeds.