Flying for work

Chef

13 hours ago, Thejerkman said:

They have a premium economy class which is a much cheaper upgrade than business. Does anyone know what premium economy is like.

I may upgrade to business If it becomes reasonable, and I think the premium economy isn’t worth it

I always pay extra for the Premium Economy seats. Usually 6" more legroom and gets me very close to the front. The prices can vary, depending on the flight. Sometimes as low as $15 more, but have seen them as high as $115 extra too. I'm strictly an aisle seat and I get as close to the front as possible! When those doors open, I want to get the hell off the plane and not wait. We just got back from New Orleans and my wife commented on how much better the Premium Economy seats were. On every flight we were in the first 6-8 rows.

cabin layout is same if you know the plane. however, every airline is different. Southwest has first come first choice seating but pay to board sooner. allegiant it's randomly generated unless you pay to pick your seat.  others are board and pay based on section, which sounds like United but i don't remember.  some don't give you much more than peanuts and a drink. others give you stuff based on ticket class.  Delta gives you free ear buds and you can score through media to watch or listen too for no additional cost. i've even swapped assigned seats with people during boarding once most people are settled.  if turbulence bothers you do what you must to sit in the front 1/3 of the plane verse the very back. if it doesn't and there's a cute attendant then sit in the last row.  all subjective as to what's preferred over another.

Pay for the upgrade. If BC isn’t in the cards, PE is better that E. Check in at the 24 hour before mark and try to get a better seat assignment. If you have any frequent flier clout, use it. 

It also helps to dress well and charm the ass off of every agent you come across, especially the gate agent. They have the power to upgrade you. 

Monterey Bay? That’s less than an hour from San Fran. The drive on US1 from San Fran is one of the best. I would have gone that route instead.

I like the window seat because I can just pass out. You get stuck in an aisle next to someone who has to constantly go to the bathroom means you have to get up every time the want to go.

I also try to avoid luggage when possible so usually have a large carryon which means I need to get in as soon as possible to assure I have overhead space.

I never understood why they sit the people in the front first and then force the rear seaters to push pass everyone. Wouldn’t it make more sense to sit the people in the back of the plane first? That’s my rant!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Monterey Bay? That’s less than an hour from San Fran. The drive on US1 from San Fran is one of the best. I would have gone that route instead.

I like the window seat because I can just pass out. You get stuck in an aisle next to someone who has to constantly go to the bathroom means you have to get up every time the want to go.

I also try to avoid luggage when possible so usually have a large carryon which means I need to get in as soon as possible to assure I have overhead space.

I never understood why they sit the people in the front first and then force the rear seaters to push pass everyone. Wouldn’t it make more sense to sit the people in the back of the plane first? That’s my rant!

I actually saw a study about this and believe it or not it claimed random boarding was the most efficient. I go through D.C. a lot where you take a bus out to the plane and board randomly and it's absolute chaos, easily disproving that study lol. Back to front definitely makes the most sense in my mind

Window seat for me...IMHO, a perfect flight is when I fall asleep right after boarding, and wake up when we taxi up to the gate at my destination... I have found that liberal application of alcohol helps me achieve my goal...

16 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

Window seat for me...IMHO, a perfect flight is when I fall asleep right after boarding, and wake up when we taxi up to the gate at my destination... I have found that liberal application of alcohol helps me achieve my goal...

Just don't do it in the bathroom of the plane  I had  some guy pass out coming out the bathroom of the plane last flight I was on they gave him oxygen , for a minute I thought they where going to do a emergency landing because the guy was  to sick or drunk to get off the floor  finally after  about 15 minutes he felt ok to get up and back to his seat  most likely just drunk later on I could here him throwing up in the barf bag a  few rows in front of me .

If seated back to front then there would be no one for me to angrily stare at when I am confined to the back.

There would also be many less people choosing first class since they don’t get the parade of jealous faces validating their shallow existence.

If not for those two things back to front makes most sense- 1st class boards last not bothered by the common slobs walking past, little wait time after boarding to get in the air, and get out first after landing.

There must be a financial advantage for the airlines to seating first class first.

15 minutes ago, crappyice said:

If seated back to front then there would be no one for me to angrily stare at when I am confined to the back.

There would also be many less people choosing first class since they don’t get the parade of jealous faces validating their shallow existence.

If not for those two things back to front makes most sense- 1st class boards last not bothered by the common slobs walking past, little wait time after boarding to get in the air, and get out first after landing.

There must be a financial advantage for the airlines to seating first class first.

Most the seats in first class get bought  by companies so they jack up the price to take full advantage.  

They give me a drink to enjoy while I watch steerage board lol

I have mosaic status on JetBlue. Their first class is “mint” laydown seats but only available on certain long flights. Otherwise, you can sit mosaic anywhere. Free alcohol and get your bags first, etc. even if it’s a morning flight I order a few rounds of drinks and just throw the liquor bottles in my bag.

12 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Most of the seats in first class are given to flyers with status. I get upgraded on most of my flights now there is no cost

I'm going by this article 

Corporate contracts and incentives are at the heart of high first-class pricing," writes Schlappig. "Some companies have big contracts that get them upgrades or discounted first-class fares, and that can still be very lucrative for airlines."