trail cam de-scent

Fear of Scent is learned response. My friend hates that I have a cat. Hes worried its scent will get on him and his stuff scare the deer. I looked at him and said that cat goes out from dawn to dusk every day and wanders everywhere if a deer smells it it thinks oh it's just the cat.. probably the best cover scent you dont have to buy!  My friends also believe that the deer are use to my scent as I am usually tr trying to improve or repair things on the property all the time and this is reason I get my game every year.. idk. But I know deer get use to dogs on a chain in yard and will bed close by. 
I agree with phade, cameras should be placed for easy access not back in the brush where you leave scent for 50 yards on everything that touches you every time you check camera. I guess that's where a cell cam would work sending photos to your phone.. mine arson edge of fields/ logging roads, and other easy access points, drive golf cartup to them swap cards and leave
When I was in high school I used to shovel ripe corn silage in my hunting closes. Slow enough to not sweat a lot. It was in a crib feeder wagon and you had to knock it down every so often for the cows to get to it. Walked right through cow sh*t to and from. Bow stand setup along a pasture. Deer got nervous but didnt run away sometimes if winded. Old matriarch doe would pull the deer off the field still and keep plenty of distance if I got winded. I've learned over the years that older bucks or doe seem to be less tolerant. Some deer definitely have different demeanor than others too. No cover scent will keep a deer from smelling you a hunter. I just hunt with that in mind.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

should probably be noted that it's not always so much your cams, but you going to and from them. Sure there's some great tech out there to help reduce your orders, but none of us are ever scent free. We leave a faint trace no matter what. Deer also seem to have a super keen sense just notice that the grass is matted, or that there's a boot print in the mud. If you haven't seen them at least "notice" these things, you haven't bow hunted long enough.

• Like 2

On 6/25/2019 at 8:11 AM, Robhuntandfish said:

you use screws into the trees?  was thinking of that but the land i lease has hardly any trees and always have to try to rig them up by tying them tight to groups of brush or something.  Think i am gonna try that with them higher and angled 

Yes. There are some adjustable mounts that strap to the tree, but that defeats the purpose. Another option is to use a cable lock, you can get them nice and tight. I did that for a while before I started using the screw in mounts.