It's about that time...

Time to start working up ground for winterpeas, turnips, sugarbeets, winter rye..  was able to sneak out of work and got 2 acres plowed ,one for turnip and one for winterpeas.  I have about a half.acre piece that was to wet to plant corn and that will be disked again for sugar beets.. 

Also sprayed corn and grasses in orchard so I can level and smooth ground and get planted into clover/ oats later this summer.. 

I dont plant till mid July but its not.raining so..ground prep is a good thing to do it also allows ample.time.to disk/ harrow and wait as new seed sprout and then disk / harrow again before planting target crop. This cuts down on amount of spray needed to keep weed free..

Anyone else in fall/ winter plot prep mode?

• Like 3

Just now, G-Man said:

Time to start working up ground for winterpeas, turnips, sugarbeets, winter rye..  was able to sneak out of work and got 2 acres plowed ,one for turnip and one for winterpeas.  I have about a half.acre piece that was to wet to plant corn and that will be disked again for sugar beets.. 

Also sprayed corn and grasses in orchard so I can level and smooth ground and get planted into clover/ oats later this summer.. 

I dont plant till mid July but its not.raining so..ground prep is a good thing to do it also allows ample.time.to disk/ harrow and wait as new seed sprout and then disk / harrow again before planting target crop. This cuts down on amount of spray needed to keep weed free..

I just sprayed again but I don’t have earth moving equipment so only no till for me. 

• Like 3

I already sprayed a new plot site. Headed up Sunday to camp and will spend a few days expanding the new plot and respraying if necessary. Will disk it if everything is already dead. Low ph and I only was able to spray liquid lime so I may go straight rye or wheat to build soil fertility. Some pellet lime will be added but that won't help me out till next year. 

Do you guys have luck overseeing your clover plots with radish?

I only have a couple 1/3rd acre or so spots, which I just don't have the time or tools to annually plow / prepare for feed like I would like too, but I keep them cut down usually twice a year and the deer like the new wild sprouts...

I have wild apples, and have supplemented them with some more and try to keep them pruned up, brush cleared away and each winter cut back more surrounding sun blocking trees. I have also slowly cleared and planted white and red oaks which seem to be doing well.  I only have ten acres of woodland (overgrown farmland about fifty years ago) which doesn't give me much to work with, but the deer already use my land so I am trying to build in attractants and some mast that will hold them.

• Like 1

I am kinda at the mercy of the farmer in my best piece of land.  They of course rotate crops . Hoping this year they do all the same as last year. And so far they have the same fields planted just don't know what it is yet. Beans or corn. Corn works much better cause I can sneak in a lot better.  Beans bring em in but they are field edges in have to use to sneak in and with beans I get busted a lot! And it always seems once they aren't green anymore they move to other fields .  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, zag said:

Gman. I think you should host a woods walk for us and see first hand all the things your doing.

I second this motion.  I'm teetering on the edge of doing my first real plot this year, and wondering what to plant that will bring them in post-rut.  Got the tractor, got the land, even have an acre spot brush hogged and surrounded by scrub brush.

1 hour ago, Daveboone said:

I only have a couple 1/3rd acre or so spots, which I just don't have the time or tools to annually plow / prepare for feed like I would like too, but I keep them cut down usually twice a year and the deer like the new wild sprouts...

I have wild apples, and have supplemented them with some more and try to keep them pruned up, brush cleared away and each winter cut back more surrounding sun blocking trees. I have also slowly cleared and planted white and red oaks which seem to be doing well.  I only have ten acres of woodland (overgrown farmland about fifty years ago) which doesn't give me much to work with, but the deer already use my land so I am trying to build in attractants and some mast that will hold them.

Properly managed small.acerages can be mini hot spots.  Though I have found cover to be most important. Even if deer feed off your property if they have good safe bedding cover they will return and stay no matter how far away they feed

1 hour ago, Robhuntandfish said:

I am kinda at the mercy of the farmer in my best piece of land.  They of course rotate crops . Hoping this year they do all the same as last year. And so far they have the same fields planted just don't know what it is yet. Beans or corn. Corn works much better cause I can sneak in a lot better.  Beans bring em in but they are field edges in have to use to sneak in and with beans I get busted a lot! And it always seems once they aren't green anymore they move to other fields .  

I have had same problem along neighbors line the deer bed just off the field in his woods and I spook them walking in many times ,I am.trying a screening planting of sorghum and Egyptian wheat to allow access to stands along that edge about 8 to 10 ft wide.. it's just all sprouted so I am anxiously watching it grow.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

I second this motion.  I'm teetering on the edge of doing my first real plot this year, and wondering what to plant that will bring them in post-rut.  Got the tractor, got the land, even have an acre spot brush hogged and surrounded by scrub brush.

I would tell you to go with a brassica/ clover blend, though it may take them a year to figure out what brassica is. It is a powerful draw. But not for 1st year plot when you want to see instants success 

If it was spring I would broad cast corn ,though way to late this year.

As a 1st year plot buckwheat only need 8 weeks to mature, but would not be the late draw you want.though early season for deer and Turkey it cant be beat,  a good winter rye/wheat would be very effective laste season and be bonus patch in spring for Turkey, could then plow under and plant brassica for following fall.. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, zag said:

Gman. I think you should host a woods walk for us and see first hand all the things your doing.

I'm really not good in crowds, but would be willing to do small group/ individual visit.

10 hours ago, G-Man said:

I have had same problem along neighbors line the deer bed just off the field in his woods and I spook them walking in many times ,I am.trying a screening planting of sorghum and Egyptian wheat to allow access to stands along that edge about 8 to 10 ft wide.. it's just all sprouted so I am anxiously watching it grow.

am really hoping they plant corn cause last year, in this one field, i sat there three times and killed three deer.  Can only hunt it on an east wind and wont hunt it early season.  I guess the good part is i dont have to do all the work but it sure must be nice to do any changes you want to.  And its part of the fun doing the setups.  

• Like 1

On 7/2/2019 at 8:06 PM, G-Man said:

I would tell you to go with a brassica/ clover blend, though it may take them a year to figure out what brassica is. It is a powerful draw. But not for 1st year plot when you want to see instants success 

If it was spring I would broad cast corn ,though way to late this year.

As a 1st year plot buckwheat only need 8 weeks to mature, but would not be the late draw you want.though early season for deer and Turkey it cant be beat,  a good winter rye/wheat would be very effective laste season and be bonus patch in spring for Turkey, could then plow under and plant brassica for following fall.. 

Taking a sample to the Cornell co-op today for analysis, planning on doing the winter rye/wheat.  Really appreciate the advice!

4 hours ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

Soil pH is 6.6, seems like I'm good to go!  Now, just have to get my uncles disc farrow over, buy about 40lbs of winter rye & wheat, and get to work!

I would wait till last week of August or early September for that wheat and rye. 

Headed up tomorrow morning, I screwed up my back pretty good and spent most of the week in bed but I plan on getting as much done as possible. Beets and greens into an existing clover plot, check to see how the corn is coming along and having my dad cut down some trees on the new plot for some edge cover. Exciting time of year. Planned on tilling the new plot I sprayed but don't think that will happen.

• Like 2

For A tiny WInter Rye spot, you suggest throwing it down late September in hopes its not all eaten by 10/1 opener?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

For A tiny WInter Rye spot, you suggest throwing it down late September in hopes its not all eaten by 10/1 opener?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rye grows very quick and deer eat it fast, 45 days is good time before to allow for germination and growth. Of course you will be competing with soft mass then as well.