It's about that time...

Rye grows very quick and deer eat it fast, 45 days is good time before to allow for germination and growth. Of course you will be competing with soft mass then as well.

Problem is they hammer it as soon as it starts to grow, so that’s why I’m thinking right before the opener

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, corydd7 said:

G-Man what do you prefer and why, winter wheat or rye? For me wheat seems to pull deer much better.

Not sure about G-man, but I prefer wheat:

Rye grows better in low ph (acidic) soil, but it costs more than wheat and is tougher to find.   Rye also takes less nitrogen out of the soil than wheat, which might be important if you want to follow up with something that needs a lot of N (like brassicas or corn) the following year.    I like wheat better, mainly because it draws deer better, as you have experienced.  The facts that it is cheaper and easier to find are nice bonuses.   I don't worry about the nitrogen, because I always use the wheat as a "nurse crop" for white clover, which fixes it's own nitrogen anyhow.   Since I did not get to plant my corn this year, I have plenty of high-nitrogen fertilizer left to use with my wheat.     

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, corydd7 said:

G-Man what do you prefer and why, winter wheat or rye? For me wheat seems to pull deer much better.

Rye us harder to find and seems to withstand browsing pressure better, but either are excellent draws and if left to go to head makes a great Turkey attraction in the spring

• Like 1