Worried about my daughter making the team....

ApexerER

2 minutes ago, grampy said:

He worked through an injury during school baseball. (winged scapula, from growing too fast) And a couple minor things from trying to lift too much weight. (I Think) Still throwing, up to 87mph on the gun, and he just wants more, never satisfied. Varsity football coach tells me he's a beast, and he's expecting him to really shine this year. (was voted lineman of the year last season) Already a couple universities showing interest. But in September, he'll only be starting 10th grade!!!

Yesterday instead of shooting our bows, he wanted me to do hitting drills with him. Said we can shoot next weekend. He said he needs to do better, if he is to get looked at from the D-1 schools????  What???  Buddy, you're only 15!

Just like the ApexerER's daughter, I do understand the love they have for a sport, and athletic's. And it is good to have kids motivated about ANYTHING these days, I get it. But I just don't understand the drive that motivates some of these kids at such a young age? It just doesn't seem normal to me. At some point athletics will be over, what then?

if they're really good and have potential it's no secret. as long as they know they don't have to be and that at this stage in the game there's always going to be someone bigger, fast, better, etc they'll be alright.  there's just little true guidance and over sight at the level they're at. it's easy to be told unrealistic dreams and be encouraged to push too hard.  i have multiple cousins that were star athletes. best in their divisions in HS and multiple offers from colleges. no one stood a chance to go all the way. most though enjoyed the ride while it lasted and got free schooling out of it. stayed humble the whole time too which was important.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

if they're really good and have potential it's no secret. as long as they know they don't have to be and that at this stage in the game there's always going to be someone bigger, fast, better, etc they'll be alright.  there's just little true guidance and over sight at the level they're at. it's easy to be told unrealistic dreams and be encouraged to push too hard.  i have multiple cousins that were star athletes. best in their divisions in HS and multiple offers from colleges. no one stood a chance to go all the way. most though enjoyed the ride while it lasted and got free schooling out of it. stayed humble the whole time too which was important.

The biggest part of all this drive, is he feels there are WAY too many that are better than him, and he needs to catch up? And yes, there ARE some better than him, but not "too many" in his age group, as he compares himself to older kids? He is a really big kid for his age at 6'5 220+lbs and soon enough, some kids his age will be starting to catch up with him. Some are this year, weight wise! But no doubt his size advantage plays a big part in all this too. And for sure, some of the coaches (not school) and parents, gas these kids heads a little too much, as only one in a million of them will ever be pro athletes.  But for the most part he's still VERY humble, and hard working. Always willing to help teammates, or help coaches with the younger kids coming up. He really enjoys that. Perhaps that will be his calling? Go to school to be a teacher/coach? 

IDK....maybe I'm just insecure about possibly losing my hunting buddy to athletics, and or growing up? And that is VERY selfish on my part!!! I'm pretty sure he'll make the time for his grampy. Seems like when I was 15, the biggest thing I looked forward to, was when I'd get my learners permit to drive......lol   So much different for most kids now days........

My sincere apologies for hijacking this thread about ApexerER's wonderful daughter, and her soccer tryout. Having a talented athlete for a daughter, I'm hoping perhaps you can relate to some of this?? 

It did help to get some things off my chest.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, grampy said:

The biggest part of all this drive, is he feels there are WAY too many that are better than him, and he needs to catch up? And yes, there ARE some better than him, but not "too many" in his age group, as he compares himself to older kids? He is a really big kid for his age at 6'5 220+lbs and soon enough, some kids his age will be starting to catch up with him. Some are this year, weight wise! But no doubt his size advantage plays a big part in all this too. And for sure, some of the coaches (not school) and parents, gas these kids heads a little too much, as only one in a million of them will ever be pro athletes.  But for the most part he's still VERY humble, and hard working. Always willing to help teammates, or help coaches with the younger kids coming up. He really enjoys that. Perhaps that will be his calling? Go to school to be a teacher/coach? 

IDK....maybe I'm just insecure about possibly losing my hunting buddy to athletics, and or growing up? And that is VERY selfish on my part!!! I'm pretty sure he'll make the time for his grampy. Seems like when I was 15, the biggest thing I looked forward to, was when I'd get my learners permit to drive......lol   So much different for most kids now days........

My sincere apologies for hijacking this thread about ApexerER's wonderful daughter, and her soccer tryout. Having a talented athlete for a daughter, I'm hoping perhaps you can relate to some of this?? 

It did help to get some things off my chest.

No Hijacking here.....I am happy to hear similar stories and thoughts.....

I am not really sure how to feel about all of this to be honest. My daughter has been playing soccer since she was 5 almost year round. We dropped her off yesterday at Hamilton College for a soccer camp. She has no interest in trying another sport, although she did run track this spring as well as playing soccer. Watching her track meets/practice and then immediately run her off to soccer practice the second it was over was a lot. 

My feelings are all over the place. For those of you that keep talking about School ball (JV and Varsity) this travel league is way more competitive and interesting to her than school ball. School soccer is almost too easy as the school teams have two maybe 3 good players like my daughter per team. These competitive "select" teams are made up from those two or three good players from surrounding schools and they all play together. So it is way more important to her than JV or Varsity. She won't play on the varsity team at her school until most likely 11 and 12 grade no matter how good she is just because of the number of kids that play soccer and the size of the school. 

As a Dad, I don't know if I push her too hard, I don't know if push her hard enough....She is very athletic. To tell you how she is, she ran the falling leaves 5k last fall for the heck of it and won the race that a coupe hundred people had entered....mostly adults. I have no idea where she gets her athletic ability from, I played some sports when I was young but was never any good at any of them and dropped out of sports at the HS level and my wife never did any sports and isn't athletic at all.

I don't know if I should push her harder, let her be, let her push herself. When you talk to the coaches, all they want you to say to your kids is, "I enjoyed watching you play today, what would you like for dinner". She wants to no part of that....she wants to know how she did, what she should have done better, the plays she screwed up on and if I don't tell her she knows I am full of crap. So I always start with you did this and that and it was awesome. You probably should have done this instead of that etc....and she takes it all in. 

In my opinion she needs too either decide this is just fun....and treat it as fun or she needs to decide this is super important and really go for it as Grampys grandson sounds like he is doing. I will support her either way. I am just glad she is out on the soccerfield and socializing with friends face to face because when she is home the only interest she seems to have is her damn phone and that drives me crazy....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ApexerER said:

No Hijacking here.....I am happy to hear similar stories and thoughts.....

I am not really sure how to feel about all of this to be honest. My daughter has been playing soccer since she was 5 almost year round. We dropped her off yesterday at Hamilton College for a soccer camp. She has no interest in trying another sport, although she did run track this spring as well as playing soccer. Watching her track meets/practice and then immediately run her off to soccer practice the second it was over was a lot. 

My feelings are all over the place. For those of you that keep talking about School ball (JV and Varsity) this travel league is way more competitive and interesting to her than school ball. School soccer is almost too easy as the school teams have two maybe 3 good players like my daughter per team. These competitive "select" teams are made up from those two or three good players from surrounding schools and they all play together. So it is way more important to her than JV or Varsity. She won't play on the varsity team at her school until most likely 11 and 12 grade no matter how good she is just because of the number of kids that play soccer and the size of the school. 

As a Dad, I don't know if I push her too hard, I don't know if push her hard enough....She is very athletic. To tell you how she is, she ran the falling leaves 5k last fall for the heck of it and won the race that a coupe hundred people had entered....mostly adults. I have no idea where she gets her athletic ability from, I played some sports when I was young but was never any good at any of them and dropped out of sports at the HS level and my wife never did any sports and isn't athletic at all.

I don't know if I should push her harder, let her be, let her push herself. When you talk to the coaches, all they want you to say to your kids is, "I enjoyed watching you play today, what would you like for dinner". She wants to no part of that....she wants to know how she did, what she should have done better, the plays she screwed up on and if I don't tell her she knows I am full of crap. So I always start with you did this and that and it was awesome. You probably should have done this instead of that etc....and she takes it all in. 

In my opinion she needs too either decide this is just fun....and treat it as fun or she needs to decide this is super important and really go for it as Grampys grandson sounds like he is doing. I will support her either way. I am just glad she is out on the soccerfield and socializing with friends face to face because when she is home the only interest she seems to have is her damn phone and that drives me crazy....

I too at one point pushed hard. I wondered if I pushed too hard? I work out and run everyday. She picked up my habits at the age of 9-10. This is her routine now. She has her team and practices 3x a week. School ball is exactly what you said it was. Although her school she was on varsity in 9th grade. I backed off a bit after she made ECNL. It was here dream to play in that league. I thought if she is super serious I knew she will make all the right decisions. Now playing U15 its up to her. We are sending her to West Point and Holy Cross for 3 day camps. She wanted all of this we are supporting it. If she came to me tomorrow and said I'm done I would ask her once, twice three times if she was sure and move on. She is old enough that she doesn't need me pushing hard behind her. I like it this way, all on her. 

• Like 2

Gramps - If your grandson is 6-5” and 220lbs at 15 years old, barely anyone will “catch up” to him in size. If he’s throwing a legit 87mph, he needs to go full force for baseball. D1 should be a backup plan. There’s no reason why with the right training and showcase recognition, that he will not improve his throwing speed/mechanics over the next 2 full years. Therefore, he will be drafted and then can decide D1 or take the $ and start in the minors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Gramps - If your grandson is 6-5” and 220lbs at 15 years old, barely anyone will “catch up” to him in size. If he’s throwing a legit 87mph, he needs to go full force for baseball. D1 should be a backup plan. There’s no reason why with the right training and showcase recognition, that he will not improve his throwing speed/mechanics over the next 2 full years. Therefore, he will be drafted and then can decide D1 or take the $ and start in the minors.

I keep thinking what an awesome left tackle he will be, but you are right, baseball may be the better focus of the two.

• Like 2

87 mph at 15 is no joke.....like Biz said he gets the right mechanics and learns to mix up pitches he will be highly scouted in the next year. You can't reach 6'5" and if you look at any of the big guns in the mlb they are tall and throw heat.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Go whatever route you ,guys want , heres a fun fact .

At one of the kids high school graduation the principal gave a talk about scholarships, this is a large HS . Of the three main sources of scholarships, number one money wise is academics, followed by art and music ,then sports . I believe he did this in response to all the nutty parents ,in the sports community.

Now get this art and music was at that school 3xs that of athletics , Moog should have picked up that paint brush sooner .

The nerds quietly March along .

Daughter two dated a D1 full ride soccer goalie at UB for 4 years , nice kid. But I’d bet the parents spent as much on his soccer as college would have cost .

His travel teams flew all over the county ( he’s from Dallas ) as well as playing in Europe .

Edited by BeIo
  • Like 1

I keep thinking what an awesome left tackle he will be, but you are right, baseball may be the better focus of the two.

I’d already have a million dollar policy insurance on that kids’ arm lol

Go whatever route you ,guys want , heres a fun fact .
At one of the kids high school graduation the principal gave a talk about scholarships, this is a large HS . Of the three main sources of scholarships, number one money wise is academics, followed by art and music ,then sports . I believe he did this in response to all the nutty parents ,in the sports community.
Now get this art and music was at that school 3xs that of athletics , Moog should have picked up that paint brush sooner .
The nerds quietly March along .
Daughter two dated a D1 full ride soccer goalie at UB for 4 years , nice kid. But I’d bet the parents spent as much on his soccer as college would have cost .
His travel teams flew all over the county ( he’s from Dallas ) as well as playing in Europe .

No money in US soccer. Baseball you need 1 contract or big signing bonus and you’re set for life.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

He's legit mid 80s on the gun from four different sources. H.S. coach is telling us at least mid 90s by his senior year. BUT.....he hasn't entirely yet learned to command his pitches at that velocity. But they are working on it. We are fortunate to be in a large school district, with lots of good coaching and resources. 

We will see where he goes next year as a sophomore. In his junior and senior year, if he's blessed to be good enough, and lucky enough, we'll let the chips fall where they will. But to get a ride to a good university, would be beyond his and our wildest dreams.

1 hour ago, moog5050 said:

He loves being left tackle!! Did not allow a qb sack from his side all last year. And opened up huge gaps for a bunch of yards rushing, from that side too. On defence, he has good speed, and was tough on opposing quarterbacks, RB's and linemen.

They may start using him this year as a TE on offense. And ILB on defence. But his heart is in being a tackle. 

Right now, he's just a big 15 year old kid, that loves playing ball. And carries high 80s low 90s grades in class.

I just hope he stays happy and healthy. And continues to want to hunt with his grampy.

• Like 4

Athletic, tall and big = scholarship, especially when he is self motivated.  Best of all, I know he has a good head on his shoulders.  Nothing wrong with not pursuing athletics, but nothing wrong with using those gifts especially if you enjoy it.  Saved me around $80k 30 years ago and I was not nearly as naturally gifted as Zach.

Sounds like Apexers daughter and Zach are doing something they love and for which they are talented.   Do it when they can! 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Athletic, tall and big = scholarship, especially when he is self motivated.  Best of all, I know he has a good head on his shoulders.  Nothing wrong with not pursuing athletics, but nothing wrong with using those gifts especially if you enjoy it.  Saved me around $80k 30 years ago and I was not nearly as naturally gifted as Zach.

Sounds like Apexers daughter and Zach are doing something they love and for which they are talented.   Do it when they can! 

They both are blessed, self motivated and love the game. 

• Like 1

30 years ago, you were in kindergarten

• Like 1

14 hours ago, grampy said:

They both are blessed, self motivated and love the game. 

I just want my daughter to enjoy herself. If she continues to love it, awesome. If she starts feeling like it is a job then I hope she backs off. That is why I am a little nervous about pushing her harder.  I think she is kinda at a crossroads now that she is in a U16 bracket. She can either continue being a good soccer player and enjoying herself or decide this is truly important to her, buckle down, and stop relying on her athletic ability and put in the extra work that a lot of these kids already do. I am not really sure what path is the correct one.  I have no idea if my daughter will get a scholarship for soccer. Maybe for a lower division school if she decides she wants to go for it. She is an excellent student as well. This is the first year she was not able to maintain a 95 average but she was taking 10th grade level math and science this year in 8th grade. She struggled a little bit in both those classes and by struggled I mean had high 80 averages and did well on the regents exams. She would be upset when we left track practice/meets and it made her later for soccer practice. I am not sure there is a D1 soccer scholarship in her future. In the league she played in this year, she got a first hand look at what a phenomenal 12-13 year old soccer player looks like and they are truly amazing. My daughter is not one of those kids. I assume those are the kids that will be getting D1 scholarship offers for their athletic talents. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, ApexerER said:

I just want my daughter to enjoy herself. If she continues to love it, awesome. If she starts feeling like it is a job then I hope she backs off. That is why I am a little nervous about pushing her harder.  I think she is kinda at a crossroads now that she is in a U16 bracket. She can either continue being a good soccer player and enjoying herself or decide this is truly important to her, buckle down, and stop relying on her athletic ability and put in the extra work that a lot of these kids already do. I am not really sure what path is the correct one.  I have no idea if my daughter will get a scholarship for soccer. Maybe for a lower division school if she decides she wants to go for it. She is an excellent student as well. This is the first year she was not able to maintain a 95 average but she was taking 10th grade level math and science this year in 8th grade. She struggled a little bit in both those classes and by struggled I mean had high 80 averages and did well on the regents exams. She would be upset when we left track practice/meets and it made her later for soccer practice. I am not sure there is a D1 soccer scholarship in her future. In the league she played in this year, she got a first hand look at what a phenomenal 12-13 year old soccer player looks like and they are truly amazing. My daughter is not one of those kids. I assume those are the kids that will be getting D1 scholarship offers for their athletic talents. 

I think as long as they stay self motivated and happy with playing, let them go as far as they can, or want to. But I also think keeping them humble is very important. Especially with kids, they need to know there are always going to be others who are better, or more talented. And to be ok with that! Derek Jeter said, there were tons of players who were better, and more talented than him coming up. "But no one EVER out worked me". This is where the self motivation comes in. And as long as no one is pushing them, let them go. I tend to think at times they push themselves way too hard, but they are the ones putting in the work. And would be very unhappy, if they didn't have the sport or whatever in their lives. And a good work ethic, is one thing that will carry them farther in their adult life. 

Although I do want to see them just be kids. I am coming to see that if this was taken away from them at this early stage, would they perhaps lose that part of themselves? That will be forced on them at some point anyways when they are older. But the things learned during these years, like teamwork, hard work, setting goals, and self motivation will be carried for all their lives. And will better prepare them for adult life's realities. 

• Like 1

Throwing two cents in to the mix based on what I saw my in-laws go through with my niece. She was a hugely competitive soccer player in MD. Played up in age throughout her life, received invites to top University soccer camps, etc. When they got to the college process, it was pretty clear that the real scholarship money was being given to a tier up in player, like the kids that were playing on or competing to get into the national teams. There just isn't that much money on the table to go around for the non revenue generating sports.

They learned that the better angle was to use soccer as a means to get her into a school she might not be able to get into otherwise. No different than a kid who is a good trumpet player, etc. rather than a means to get paid for it. She is getting a couple bucks for school and is happy at a place that she needed soccer to get into, but the parents are still footing the bill for a healthy portion.

Just one person's experience so take it for what it's worth.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ApexerER said:

Teddi has a 99 GPA and student president of her class. We have always put academics first. We are not going to rely on a soccer scholarship. We had a guest speaker come in from an Ivy league school. It really opened our eyes up to where she should play and what schools she should apply to. He told us only a small percentage of kids get to play at the big schools their first two years. You will sit on the bench. That is where if soccer is such a big thing in her life the correct school is the key. Geographic, size, housing and major. Add soccer in the end to cap the deal.

Edited by First-light

11 hours ago, ApexerER said:

As a parent I want to offer my kid anything that is available to give her an edge. We played ECNL it has the best of the best playing in it. The showcases were filled with college coaches. But guess what, only two teams on Long Island are ECNL. We didn't like her coach and the other team was full. So that left us filling her time at her key schools with ID camps. Get her in front of those coaches. The one day camps are great. They get to know her and you will get feedback. Do it on your own don't wait for the coach to push this. Send emails to the schools and really get the communication going. She did a one day camp at Fordam university. At the end of camp the head coach told my daughter she did real well and is looking forward to seeing her again. Take the initiative and get her to some ID camps. Sounds like she is a great kid just like mine. It will all fall into place.

Edited by First-light
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, First-light said:

As a parent I want to offer my kid anything that is available to give her an edge. We played ECNL it has the best of the best playing in it. The showcases were filled with college coaches. But guess what, only two teams on Long Island are ECNL. We didn't like her coach and the other team was full. So that left us filling her time at her key schools with ID camps. Get her in front of those coaches. The one day camps are great. They get to know her and you will get feedback. Do it on your own don't wait for the coach to push this. Send emails to the schools and really get the communication going. She did a one day camp at Fordam university. At the end of camp the head coach told my daughter she did real well and is looking forward to seeing her again. Take the initiative and get her to some ID camps. Sounds like she is a great kid just like mine. It will all fall into place.

She is at Hamilton right now. I have to leave work early to go pick her up. My daughter is a good soccer player...not phenomenal. I really don't think a soccer scholarship is in her future. Maybe a small school if she decides she really wants to go that route. They have played in a couple showcase tournaments. They won the one out in Boston this spring. We will see what the future brings....

1 hour ago, ApexerER said:

She is at Hamilton right now. I have to leave work early to go pick her up. My daughter is a good soccer player...not phenomenal. I really don't think a soccer scholarship is in her future. Maybe a small school if she decides she really wants to go that route. They have played in a couple showcase tournaments. They won the one out in Boston this spring. We will see what the future brings....

That is cool. Let's keep eachother updated as time goes on. It's those real important years right now. Good luck!