Does you survival gear work??

rachunter

I read a thread on another site that questioned if you knew what worked and what didn’t in your survival pack. So today I went through my stuff(I’m still adding)and decided to start with the fire starting gear. Which consisted of two bic lighters(no need to test) two ferro rods a magnesium stick and piece of hacksaw blade a lens from an old scope and uco stormproof matches. Cotton balls smeared with Vaseline vacuum sealed in a bag.

The ferro rods where a coghlan’s which came apart and a no name I picked up at a hunting show. Both throw good sparks with the hacksaw blade and my buck 102 and a cheap Chinese life one of my brothers gave me. I was surprised that the kabar mariner knife didn’t work. The lens was a Waste if time. I sat there trying all kinds of kindle nothing lit. The matches worked great. I even dipped one in water and it relit. So after today I think I’m set with fire starting. I might try a magnifier.

As far a water purification I know my sawyer works because I use it all the time. Whistle and mirror are good. Extra compass. 550 cord.

It’s to hot to try the space blankets right now.

I know I’m missing a bunch of gear,but I never had to carry a survival pack hunting on Long Island. Now I’m up in the ADK’s I won’t go in without one.

So what’s in you pack and does it work??? Let’s hear and see it.

ebdbcbc9fc16282839a6327dddfde244.jpgeaa4d6ab763e81ad13e8773c128ed936.jpg3b1ab627424cdd7ae81d98eef42f3fd3.jpgcfd7c906f1e8e658f8dfd25df84855c9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

It is  a good point to practice with what you plan on having...especially the most basic tools and skills. Once you become proficient, then practice on crappy conditions...in the dark, in the rain, etc. I have eliminated many tools/ knives, firestarters, etc. from my gear in this way. Keep it simple and durable.

• Like 3

I'm not a prepper but I have a knife a compass and a  folderable wallet size survival manual  in my wallet at all times  one thing I need to get is something to start a  fire easily that I can attach to my keychain .

But I alway keep a lighter in the car at least . 

15620272364071158653447968495058.jpg

9 hours ago, Hawk914 said:

I'm not a prepper but I have a knife a compass and a  folderable wallet size survival manual  in my wallet at all times  one thing I need to get is something to start a  fire easily that I can attach to my keychain .

But I alway keep a lighter in the car at least . 

15620272364071158653447968495058.jpg

Not a prepper.My pack is for hunting,fishing and hiking I hope i never have to need it but want everything to work should I get lost or hurt and have to spend the night.On average most people are found within 1-3 days.Water,warmth and food will help keep you still until your rescuers find you. I'm working on a medic kit as well.

I am a big believer in being prepared and would definitely carry a kit similar to what you have assembled if I were to be in a remote area especially for an extended period. Even if I just go out for a few hours I always carry a good compass, knife, para cord and a lighter. I like the old fashioned Zippo outdoor lighter because they always work.

Al

2019-07-02_063541.png

Edited by airedale
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, rachunter said:

Not a prepper.My pack is for hunting,fishing and hiking I hope i never have to need it but want everything to work should I get lost or hurt and have to spend the night.On average most people are found within 1-3 days.Water,warmth and food will help keep you still until your rescuers find you. I'm working on a medic kit as well.

Ok I get you . Still even for hunting fishing having that survival Manuel  on you at all times  would help shows you everything you need to know to live off the land with nothing at all , how to make fire how to get water or filter water how to build a shelter how to make traps  how to navigate covers it all . Even if you read something like that unless you actually practice those skills with out having the book with you more then likely you will forget most of the things in that booklet  that's why it's a good thing to have on you at all times  say you  get lost don't have a backpack with stuff in it with you. Just your wallet  in you pocket which is what most people will always have . It's a great thing to have  for any survival situation.

Edited by Hawk914
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hawk914 said:

Ok I get you . Still even for hunting fishing having that survival Manuel  on you at all times  would help shows you everything you need to know to live off the land with nothing at all , how to make fire how to get water or filter water how to build a shelter how to make traps  how to navigate covers it all . Even if you read something like that unless you actually practice those skills with out having the book with you more then likely you will forget most of the things in that booklet  that's why it's a good thing to have on you at all times  say you  get lost don't have a backpack with stuff in it with you. Just your wallet  in you pocket which is what most people will always have . It's a great thing to have  for any survival situation.

I don't carry one afield but have several survival books in my library, they are interesting and lots of valuable stuff can be learned, they are well worth reading if one spends time in the outdoors.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 2

A book is ok as a reference, but trying to develop a skill when it could be a life or death need while reading about it is about worthless in my view. It's actually kind of neat in my book to try some of these skills. build a couple different kinds of traps. Try a couple different ways to make a fire.  Take a compass and a topo map and try to navigate to a landmark. 

One of the best sets of books that I have read, deals with many topics even beyond just survival skills.  Look into the Foxfire books. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, G-Man said:

I have no survival pack..dont go anywhere I'd need one...

I don’t know if that means you don’t carry any survival items or just a dedicated pack / pouch . Anyways every lost hunter or day hiker that required a search and rescue crew to find them said pretty much  the same thing .

This gal,went for a three mile hike in a park on a trail, 17 days later she was found . She got turned around and slipped down a ravin , apparently it’s very thick and easy to do there .

(CNN)A woman who survived 17 days in a forest in Hawaii after she got lost while hiking says she was irresponsible for going into the woods unprepared.

I have a friend who fell,out of a stand preseason, ( trimming branches ) broke his femur ,couldnt move, no phone,no whistle , no light or any way to signal  for help .  One can taylor their items for the area, although the basics tend to stay the same . 

Bob I agree, when I used to turkey hunt ,when I was done I’d pretend ok I fell out of the tree I’m leaning against , and using only materials I could reach build a fire . 

Once I walked into, the woods with my normal, pocket load out and spent the night . Built simple lean too, made fire, “ slept “ on a trash bag stuffed with leaves .

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

One of the best sets of books that I have read, deals with many topics even beyond just survival skills.  Look into the Foxfire books. 

I had the Foxfire set and as you said they are full of skill learning that is valuable to outdoor folks and just plain entertaining. 

Another pretty good read I picked up a short time ago is "I Knew That" from the pages of "Fur Fish and Game" magazine. Fur Fish and Game I think is the best outdoorsman magazine in print at this time.

2019-07-02_091856.png

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

A book is ok as a reference, but trying to develop a skill when it could be a life or death need while reading about it is about worthless in my view. It's actually kind of neat in my book to try some of these skills. build a couple different kinds of traps. Try a couple different ways to make a fire.  Take a compass and a topo map and try to navigate to a landmark. 

Having the book on you Better then nothing let's  face it it's like being a craftsman unless you are doing the skill all the time you  get rusty at it .

Most people don't have time to practice survival skills on a regular basis . 

And under stress you forget things a book on you will help .

Definitely better then nothing when being  lost in the woods  with  nothing on you .

Edited by Hawk914

On 6/29/2019 at 6:47 PM, rachunter said:

I read a thread on another site that questioned if you knew what worked and what didn’t in your survival pack. So today I went through my stuff(I’m still adding)and decided to start with the fire starting gear. Which consisted of two bic lighters(no need to test) two ferro rods a magnesium stick and piece of hacksaw blade a lens from an old scope and uco stormproof matches. Cotton balls smeared with Vaseline vacuum sealed in a bag.

The ferro rods where a coghlan’s which came apart and a no name I picked up at a hunting show. Both throw good sparks with the hacksaw blade and my buck 102 and a cheap Chinese life one of my brothers gave me. I was surprised that the kabar mariner knife didn’t work. The lens was a Waste if time. I sat there trying all kinds of kindle nothing lit. The matches worked great. I even dipped one in water and it relit. So after today I think I’m set with fire starting. I might try a magnifier.

As far a water purification I know my sawyer works because I use it all the time. Whistle and mirror are good. Extra compass. 550 cord.

It’s to hot to try the space blankets right now.

I know I’m missing a bunch of gear,but I never had to carry a survival pack hunting on Long Island. Now I’m up in the ADK’s I won’t go in without one.

So what’s in you pack and does it work??? Let’s hear and see it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would add a vacuum packed small candle stick to your fire starting material.  All you need to do is get it lit and you won't need to waste anymore matches or the fluid in the lighters.  You'll have a flame going for a good while, way better than the vaseline soaked cotton balls.  My .02 cents.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, steve863 said:

I would add a vacuum packed small candle stick to your fire starting material.  All you need to do is get it lit and you won't need to waste anymore matches or the fluid in the lighters.  You'll have a flame going for a good while, way better than the vaseline soaked cotton balls.  My .02 cents.

My idea is have some type of flammable fluid on you in a small container something like a gas oil mix that will help you get a fire going at first .

Some times even with a lighter finding dry stuff to get the fire going can be tuff in the woods .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BeIo said:

I don’t know if that means you don’t carry any survival items or just a dedicated pack / pouch . Anyways every lost hunter or day hiker that required a search and rescue crew to find them said pretty much  the same thing .

This gal,went for a three mile hike in a park on a trail, 17 days later she was found . She got turned around and slipped down a ravin , apparently it’s very thick and easy to do there .

(CNN)A woman who survived 17 days in a forest in Hawaii after she got lost while hiking says she was irresponsible for going into the woods unprepared.

I have a friend who fell,out of a stand preseason, ( trimming branches ) broke his femur ,couldnt move, no phone,no whistle , no light or any way to signal  for help .  One can taylor their items for the area, although the basics tend to stay the same . 

Bob I agree, when I used to turkey hunt ,when I was done I’d pretend ok I fell out of the tree I’m leaning against , and using only materials I could reach build a fire . 

Once I walked into, the woods with my normal, pocket load out and spent the night . Built simple lean too, made fire, “ slept “ on a trash bag stuffed with leaves .

I don't carry anything,most of the time i dont even carry a knife in woods hunting.

1 hour ago, Hawk914 said:

My idea is have some type of flammable fluid on you in a small container something like a gas oil mix that will help you get a fire going at first .

Some times even with a lighter finding dry stuff to get the fire going can be tuff in the woods .

Birch bark is amazing for starting a fire .

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, G-Man said:

I don't carry anything,most of the time i dont even carry a knife in woods hunting.

Hehehe forget my knife sometimes when I hunt but luckily I have one of those keychain ones on my car /house keys that  never gets  forgotten  also a keychain compess on there as well .

2 hours ago, Hawk914 said:

A bottle of hand sanitizer works pretty well. Serves two purposes. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Hawk914 said:

Hehehe forget my knife sometimes when I hunt but luckily I have one of those keychain ones on my car /house keys that  never gets  forgotten  also a keychain compess on there as well .

One time I made one from a piece of flint, another time I shot a spent shell casing to make sharp.edge. usually I just go back to house and get one along with tractor

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Daveboone said:

It is  a good point to practice with what you plan on having...especially the most basic tools and skills. Once you become proficient, then practice on crappy conditions...in the dark, in the rain, etc. I have eliminated many tools/ knives, firestarters, etc. from my gear in this way. Keep it simple and durable.

^^^^^ THIS! Get out and practice using that gear, it will no no good if you have it and it doesn't work or you cant use it.

Also, one item you are missing is some sort of single wall SS cup or container to boil water and cook if you have too.

• Like 2

I have a hammock  mosquito net and wool sleeping bag  I bought a long time ago that I leave in the car  .  I Got it because I Wanted to try and spend a few days on the Apalachee Trail   and they said less shit is better but I never got around to doing a overnighter on the trail . Only day trips  .