Does you survival gear work??

rachunter

I like all that plus I just picked up an electronic lighter that is USB charged that is the bomb for starting fires quickly.

I would add a vacuum packed small candle stick to your fire starting material.  All you need to do is get it lit and you won't need to waste anymore matches or the fluid in the lighters.  You'll have a flame going for a good while, way better than the vaseline soaked cotton balls.  My .02 cents.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Survival Manuel : you’re taking a Mexican?

biggest geographical obstacle when you're lost trying to get somewhere is flowing water or a wall like cliff. no brainer that Manuel has him covered. Hell all he needs to do is just sit tight. Manuel will likely be back with tax free wages and supplies. before you know it he'll be setting up shop where he's at in comfort. solid choice for survival kit IMO.

7 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:
6 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Survival Manuel : you’re taking a Mexican?

biggest geographical obstacle when you're lost trying to get somewhere is flowing water or a wall like cliff. no brainer that Manuel has him covered. Hell all he needs to do is just sit tight. Manuel will likely be back with tax free wages and supplies. before you know it he'll be setting up shop where he's at in comfort. solid choice for survival kit IMO.

Not funny, instead of crapping up a good thread why don't you contribute a post that is helpful instead of throwing up insulting cheap shots!:angry:

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, airedale said:

Not funny, instead of crapping up a good thread why don't you contribute a post that is helpful instead of throwing up insulting cheap shots!:angry:

nobody called Hawk stupid or illiterate. it was an honest typo and two light hearted individuals made a light hearted joke of it. I didn't even know who typed "manuel" versus manual to begin with when i made my comment. if we're being serious then so be it...

first rule of survival and above all else: no matter how much skill or gear you have, you need to stay calm and not 'lose your cool'. if you don't, you'll be a statistic.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, old man river said:

I read Belo's post and went through my duffel bags. Alot of this stuff will never get used and , I bought over a long period of time.  I have much more that, I bought on the Fly. Really though--- when Hunting-- all, I take is a Whistle and the all important 16.9fl oz of Spring Water. Add in a map and a Camo cheap ass rain jacket if it is threatening above. I have done much reading on this subject.  A simple lighter is a good idea too.  I bought those- ( Quickfire) at the Rockland Outdoor Expo. Vendor was outside so she could demonstrate. A good Nutcracker is never thought of- but,if you know your Nut Trees-- you can have your fill.  I am a Hiker also as some here know and alot of Hikers try to learn more about what is edible.  In the 90s- I found a olddd Deer hut in Sterling Forest put together completely by different size Cable Ties.  I pushed hard on it-- Solid. I never forgot that woods lesson and that is why you see Cable Ties on my pic. 1 Dollar at the Dollar Tree. I was thinking at one time of Hiking the whole Appalachian Trail. Probably why, I still have this stuff . 2 survival wrist Rockets  that can't be used.  Really though--- the more knowledge you have the better. If, I was stuck in the wilderness for whatever reason and, I found a Walnut tree grove- I would crush up the Green Husk of a bunch and into a pond, I would throw it.  And gather some stunned Fish. This is Illegal- so don't try it unless there is a fire emergency. Gold Bond, I have in my car for the dreaded Poison ivy.  Of everything though--- that Whistle could save your ass if you break one of your legs  with possible internal injuries. If you forgot your cellphone or broke it in a really bad fall- that whistle could save your life . Always good to leave a note also about where you plan to hunt/hike.

I have a whistle that doubles as a waterproof match holder. I think there may even be a cheap compass on one end. 

• Like 1

i've never done it but i know a lot of people that have made waterproof matches.  i think a fresh lighter and a 35mm photofilm (do they make those still?) cansister full of vaseline loaded cotton balls works great. with a fire it's important to first gather wood for it. then when you think you have enough get more to have double what you've got. pine pitch and shavings from a nice young (thin barked) green tree is great for the center of your kindling pile. pine is everywhere here in NY, especially the dacks.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, steve863 said:

I would add a vacuum packed small candle stick to your fire starting material.  All you need to do is get it lit and you won't need to waste anymore matches or the fluid in the lighters.  You'll have a flame going for a good while, way better than the vaseline soaked cotton balls.  My .02 cents.

I started carrying tea candles this year as a found a lot of 100 we bought for some odd reason. Burn quite a long time.

6 hours ago, Hawk914 said:

My idea is have some type of flammable fluid on you in a small container something like a gas oil mix that will help you get a fire going at first .

Some times even with a lighter finding dry stuff to get the fire going can be tuff in the woods .

WTF!? You don't get out much do you? That container breaks and your gear is ruined, and if it's in a pocket close to the shin you just became a walking match and probably have a chemical burn. That's not survival, that's glamping.

Hell, I only use newspaper and kindling to get a fire going car camping, this year I just used plain old cotton balls, my knife and ferro rod with twigs to get both fire's going.

Some of us do, and others just talk about doing

4 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

Birch bark is amazing for starting a fire .

It sure is. Scrape the back and those shavings will light very nicely. Fat wood is another alternative.

2 hours ago, old man river said:

20190702_124151.jpg

Really? That's a lot of useless crap to haul around the woods. Especially when you never leave a woods road or trail while hiking.

Like a couple have mentioned, you should get practice time in with your gear. Better to know what does and doesn't work before you get lost.

Edited by DirtTime
spelling
  • Haha 1

I think for most of us survival gear is just what we are going to need to cover our butt in an outdoors mishap. Each of my coats (hunting/fishing type activity) have a paraffin soaked piece of cardboard and a lighter or matches, and at least a cheapie zipper pull compass. I also habitually stick rolls of birch bark in my pocket when I find them.  Simple, reliable. Years ago when I hunted more in a group, we enjoyed a mid day camp fire to warm up by and singe some meat over, and I still enjoy doing it when I can. If I fall, get lost or what have you, I am confident I can make a fire in most any weather to overnight it. I always have a length of paracord, planned for dragging but it will work to help improvise a shelter. Water in NY is a no brainer. It is every where, and Giardia / creeping crud or whatever will be a secondary worry to staving off dehydration and its related confusion, weakness, etc. for a day or two until I am found or get out. I cant imagine not having a pocket knife at least with me....365 days a year. Mans oldest, simplest tool, it doesn't have to be fancy or expensive. I have gutted numerous deer with simple scout knifes, fillet knifes, electrician knifes, jeesh, they all have a sharp edge. But that is the most important part....keeping it sharp, and knowing how to sharpen it. Damn few people know how anymore, and most just hope a new knife stays sharp. Dumb and lazy. 

Most important....make sure someone knows where you are, or should be. I frequently hunt alone, but am usually in the same spots.  We have poor cell phone service, but I can usually get out a one or two word text saying "All OK".

• Like 4

2 hours ago, dbHunterNY said:

i've never done it but i know a lot of people that have made waterproof matches.  

I remember dipping the heads of wooden matches into my mother's best nail polish to waterproof them. Damn was she pissed. 

1 hour ago, DirtTime said:

Really? That's a lot of useless crap to haul around the woods. Especially when you never leave a woods road or trail while hiking.

Like a couple have mentioned, you should get practice time in with your gear. Better to know what does and doesn't work before you get lost.

Or at least remove it from the packaging.

47 minutes ago, Daveboone said:

Most important....make sure someone knows where you are, or should be. I frequently hunt alone, but am usually in the same spots.  We have poor cell phone service, but I can usually get out a one or two word text saying "All OK".

I've been alone at my camp for a week working, which means felling trees, limbing and bucking. Before I start the chainsaw I send my wife a text telling her where I am on the property and what I'm doing. Then we check in with each other every hour until the saw goes away. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A lot of good info here.

I like the candle idea and will look into some small ones I can seal up,but i'm keeping the cotton balls they burned hot.I also tossed the magnesium stick away to much work to get a few flakes and probably impossible with cold hands.I also saw where some guys where crumbling up fire starter logs.I might give that a shot as well.

I also like the garbage bags too.

My plan is to learn to use what I need to get me through one night then triple it.I'm going to start in blue bird conditions then work my way into a cold wet night.

I've already been working on just add water meals.The ones they sell for camping/hiking where nasty and expensive.I can and do sometimes live on rice and beans.The instant potato's are pretty good as well.Going to try some oat meal and pancake mixes not a fan of ether but in an emergence i'll deal with it.

I'm added a sharping stone and will be testing my knives out to see which ones are appropriate for the tasks up to now it's been more of what I wanted to carry.I saw a few utubes where they modified the usmc kabar but i'm not sure I want to grind it.

I had a bunch of survival books but one of my nephews got into it and I gave them to him.I can agree if you don't refresh your mind it's all forgotten.I'm going to pick up a few more.

Thanks again keep it coming

• Like 1

Look into a small forest axe which has infinite uses.

Don't think you need to seal a candle but you may want to coat the wick in wax just in case it gets wet.

Lifestraw if you have a nearby water source.

For a controlled overnight trip you probably don't need food - call it a vision quest - or maybe just a couple of bars.

How or what are you sleeping in?

• Like 1

You can still get 35 mm film cans....

If you can't get a fire going with vaseline and cotton balls, just accept your fate.....and write a note like Hatchet Jack.

If one wants to start a fire or have a fuel source small enough to boil a couple cups of water in a convenient package look into Esbit tablets and one can make or buy their pocket folding stove (I've used these to make freeze dried meals, they last indefinite). Esbit is cheap and easy a bit smaller and lighter package with a Ti cup then a canister stove.

Small cans of sterno can be had cheap in dollar type stores for a longer/ larger burn cycle, for a longer stay or situation.

UCO candles are a long burning type wax, and "better" then the type you may find in tea or standard table candles. Their lantern is a very good piece of kit and easy to use, burn clean, store, and provides a surprising amount of light on a long burn time.

All these can be had at camping suppliers... Campmor in Northern Jersey is a good source.

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, left field said:

For those with connection in the house building industry......a length of typar/tyvek house wrap from a 9' roll can be an excellent light weight, waterproof option for a survival or overnight situation. Light, durable, and very packable option.

I use a piece to field quarter and keep clean.

With some para cord acting as a ridge it can  make a quick easy fly tent I have used to wait out a rain storm.

At least one member here other than me carries a piece.

I put some grommets in doubled over corners in one that work well.

Edited by Dinsdale
  • Like 5

35 minutes ago, rachunter said:

I've already been working on just add water meals.The ones they sell for camping/hiking where nasty and expensive.I can and do sometimes live on rice and beans.The instant potato's are pretty good as well.Going to try some oat meal and pancake mixes not a fan of ether but in an emergence i'll deal with it.

Check out Packit Gourmet.

I do cookin bag meals made myself by adding boiling water into a food safe bag that sits in an insulated koozie to cook. A nice way to get away from Mountain House high sodium meals.

https://www.packitgourmet.com/View-All-Gear.html

HAppen to like their Ramen Rescue....

https://www.packitgourmet.com/ramen-rescue-chicken.html

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DirtTime said:

I started carrying tea candles this year as a found a lot of 100 we bought for some odd reason. Burn quite a long time.

WTF!? You don't get out much do you? That container breaks and your gear is ruined, and if it's in a pocket close to the shin you just became a walking match and probably have a chemical burn. That's not survival, that's glamping.

Hell, I only use newspaper and kindling to get a fire going car camping, this year I just used plain old cotton balls, my knife and ferro rod with twigs to get both fire's going.

Some of us do, and others just talk about doing

It sure is. Scrape the back and those shavings will light very nicely. Fat wood is another alternative.

Hmm preferably in  something that doesn't break  .easily 

Edited by Hawk914

9 minutes ago, Hawk914 said:

Hmm preferably in  something that doesn't break  .easily 

You bring nothing useful to this thread. Or most you chime in on I may add. That's NOT survival! Show us what you got using a ferro rod knife, and either a feather stick or some shavings. Then we can talk. Until then, as someone else said, you don't want to be a bad doggy stop pissing on the carpet.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, DirtTime said:

You bring nothing useful to this thread. Or most you chime in on I may add. That's NOT survival! Show us what you got using a ferro rod knife, and either a feather stick or some shavings. Then we can talk. Until then, as someone else said, you don't want to be a bad doggy stop pissing on the carpet.

Listen here  if you need  someone to tell you what container you need to put a flammable liquid in  you shouldn't be playing with matches in the first place. But I will give you a hint 

Hdpe 

Edited by Hawk914
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, left field said:

Lifestraw

I have a lifestraw,But with the sawyer I can fill a bottle or pot

For sleeping I was going to use one of the space blankets.But the Tyvek sounds good.

Tyvek is a good idea. I know some people use it for tent footprints.

Is this minimal survival or camping? Trying to put wrapping yourself in tyvek after a hot meal with a pot together.

If survival, you may not have a pot.

If camping, a hammock may be a better idea - light, cheap and easy to put up. 

On 6/29/2019 at 6:47 PM, rachunter said:

I read a thread on another site that questioned if you knew what worked and what didn’t in your survival pack. So today I went through my stuff(I’m still adding)and decided to start with the fire starting gear. Which consisted of two bic lighters(no need to test) two ferro rods a magnesium stick and piece of hacksaw blade a lens from an old scope and uco stormproof matches. Cotton balls smeared with Vaseline vacuum sealed in a bag.

The ferro rods where a coghlan’s which came apart and a no name I picked up at a hunting show. Both throw good sparks with the hacksaw blade and my buck 102 and a cheap Chinese life one of my brothers gave me. I was surprised that the kabar mariner knife didn’t work. The lens was a Waste if time. I sat there trying all kinds of kindle nothing lit. The matches worked great. I even dipped one in water and it relit. So after today I think I’m set with fire starting. I might try a magnifier.

As far a water purification I know my sawyer works because I use it all the time. Whistle and mirror are good. Extra compass. 550 cord.

It’s to hot to try the space blankets right now.

I know I’m missing a bunch of gear,but I never had to carry a survival pack hunting on Long Island. Now I’m up in the ADK’s I won’t go in without one.

So what’s in you pack and does it work??? Let’s hear and see it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Excellent thread starter, @rachunter, on a topic that is very near and dear to my heart. I have been studying survival/bushcraft/primitive methods for the past 18 months, on my own and with a class I go to twice a month. I have purchased a lot of gear, but have not yet field tested all of it. As well, a lot of the gear I've purchased can be considered camping gear instead of survival gear. I don't have my hunting kit put together for this coming hunting season yet, so I can't directly respond to your post, but I can contribute these thoughts:

If you have a ferro rod, make sure your knife/metal striker works with it. It needs to be high carbon steel with a 90 degree edge. Some stainless steel knives will not generate a spark.

In addition to testing your gear, make sure you know how to use it. In this regard, the emergency blankets come to mind.

You should be prepared to survive in the woods for 72 hours, under bad weather conditions, if need be. In this regard, remember to cover the ten C's: (These are the 10 I learned; it appears Canterbury changed some of them)

Cutting tool (A knife, preferably a non-folding, full tang, drop point knife)
Cumbustion (2 or 3 methods to make fire, like a lighter, strike anywhere matches, and a ferro rod plus some tinder like vaseline-covered cotton balls)
Cover (The clothes you are wearing, extra hat, scarf and socks, emergency blanket and a small tarp)
Container (single wall stainless steel water bottle that you can boil water in)
Cordage (A couple hanks of 550 paracord)
Communications (most likely your cell phone and an external battery pack, and a loud whistle and orange bandana for signaling)
Compass (and a paper map of where you are hunting)
Comfort (emergency bivvy sleeping bag, contractor garbage bags)
Chow (a liter of water and some food like granola bars, chocolate, instant coffee, ramen noodles)
Candle (headlamp, flashlight and tea candle)

Also, a first aid kit and a repair kit (duct tape, heavy duty needle, heavy thread, super glue)

Obviously, you need to tailor your gear to where you are hunting. In your backyard in early fall vs. in the ADK's in early winter.

This topic is so broad to me, it's hard for me to give a concise response. Sorry if I went beyond the scope of the thread.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, dbHunterNY said:

i've never done it but i know a lot of people that have made waterproof matches.  i think a fresh lighter and a 35mm photofilm (do they make those still?) cansister full of vaseline loaded cotton balls works great. with a fire it's important to first gather wood for it. then when you think you have enough get more to have double what you've got. pine pitch and shavings from a nice young (thin barked) green tree is great for the center of your kindling pile. pine is everywhere here in NY, especially the dacks.

By green tree, I assume you mean an evergreen like pine, spruce, etc.? Otherwise, aside from birch bark, you'd want dry, dead wood for kindling.