Does you survival gear work??

rachunter

1 hour ago, goosifer said:

If you haven't already, check out https://www.animatedknots.com/ Like many things in life, practice, practice, practice.

Going back on my Boy Scout training, knot tying is probably THE biggest thing I still use today. Not too much you can't handle with the following. 

Taughtline hitch

Timber hitch

Clove Hitch

Two half hitch

Sheepshank or Trumpeters knot

Square knot and Sheet bend

AND the one handed bowline and being able to tie it with either hand.  Really assists if you need help and are below rescue. 

If I had to add skills for survival I would definitely add how to properly lash as well as splicing rope. 

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club
  • Like 3

On 7/1/2019 at 8:09 PM, G-Man said:

I have no survival pack..dont go anywhere I'd need one...

same here.  Where i hunt is surrounded by roads.. if something happens to me there only thing that is gonna help is a cell phone.  But when i used to hunt the deeper dacks i always carried one.  

Most of my places i have no need of any kit. I always have a drink, snacks, compass, knife and cordage with me. When I hunt big woods like the Dacks I have a small pack that i built. Heavy on fire starting, bit of first aid, space blanket, water tabs...If I was planning longer deeper trips I would adjust accordingly. I have very few reservations about being able to take care of myself in the woods for multiple days unless seriously injured. I guess if I hunted in places without normal reception regularly I would look into Sat. but not really a concern now.

On 7/2/2019 at 7:00 PM, Hawk914 said:

Listen here  if you need  someone to tell you what container you need to put a flammable liquid in  you shouldn't be playing with matches in the first place. But I will give you a hint 

Hdpe 

I will post a pic of all I need to start a fire in the woods, and I sure don't use chemicals. I don't need too.

On 7/2/2019 at 8:30 PM, goosifer said:

Excellent thread starter, @rachunter, on a topic that is very near and dear to my heart. I have been studying survival/bushcraft/primitive methods for the past 18 months, on my own and with a class I go to twice a month. I have purchased a lot of gear, but have not yet field tested all of it. As well, a lot of the gear I've purchased can be considered camping gear instead of survival gear. I don't have my hunting kit put together for this coming hunting season yet, so I can't directly respond to your post, but I can contribute these thoughts:

If you have a ferro rod, make sure your knife/metal striker works with it. It needs to be high carbon steel with a 90 degree edge. Some stainless steel knives will not generate a spark.

In addition to testing your gear, make sure you know how to use it. In this regard, the emergency blankets come to mind.

You should be prepared to survive in the woods for 72 hours, under bad weather conditions, if need be. In this regard, remember to cover the ten C's: (These are the 10 I learned; it appears Canterbury changed some of them)

Cutting tool (A knife, preferably a non-folding, full tang, drop point knife)
Cumbustion (2 or 3 methods to make fire, like a lighter, strike anywhere matches, and a ferro rod plus some tinder like vaseline-covered cotton balls)
Cover (The clothes you are wearing, extra hat, scarf and socks, emergency blanket and a small tarp)
Container (single wall stainless steel water bottle that you can boil water in)
Cordage (A couple hanks of 550 paracord)
Communications (most likely your cell phone and an external battery pack, and a loud whistle and orange bandana for signaling)
Compass (and a paper map of where you are hunting)
Comfort (emergency bivvy sleeping bag, contractor garbage bags)
Chow (a liter of water and some food like granola bars, chocolate, instant coffee, ramen noodles)
Candle (headlamp, flashlight and tea candle)

Also, a first aid kit and a repair kit (duct tape, heavy duty needle, heavy thread, super glue)

Obviously, you need to tailor your gear to where you are hunting. In your backyard in early fall vs. in the ADK's in early winter.

This topic is so broad to me, it's hard for me to give a concise response. Sorry if I went beyond the scope of the thread.

Good post and good avvise. I was told titanium knives wont throw a spark, I forget who told me that, but they are FOS! I bought a cheap Camillus Titanium knife and it works great.

23 hours ago, airedale said:

Apparently you are not aware that there are small packable liquid fuel containers constructed out of metal that are made to be carried on one's person safely. Many use them to carry fuel for those small back pack camp stoves. I have a couple that I use for my for my ATV, no worry about them breaking and me catching on fire.

2019-07-02_211010.png

Like I said above, I don't need chemicals to start a fire.

23 hours ago, Hawk914 said:

I gas the guy never spilled gas fueling a car or lawnmower before the stuff does not ignite with out a flame or spark .

It still leaves a chemical burn!

23 hours ago, Dinsdale said:

When a survival equipment list comes to mind compact and light is my thought, this wouldn't even make my backpacking list unless at extreme altitude or temperature (when a canister stove starts to have issues).

I'd have room to spare inside that with all of a kit.

Whos gonna carry that full of fuel even in the ADK's unless actually using it for primary fuel source?

Yep.

I will get a pic of what I use for sire starting up in a bit. You ain't gonna see no gas or lighter fluid.

1 minute ago, DirtTime said:

I will post a pic of all I need to start a fire in the woods, and I sure don't use chemicals. I don't need too.

Good post and good avvise. I was told titanium knives wont throw a spark, I forget who told me that, but they are FOS! I bought a cheap Camillus Titanium knife and it works great.

Like I said above, I don't need chemicals to start a fire.

It still leaves a chemical burn!

Yep.

I will get a pic of what I use for sire starting up in a bit. You ain't gonna see no gas or lighter fluid.

See that it's a knife with magnesium stick   .

It's good to  know different ways to start fire .

15622031971435829068815378213780.jpg

• Like 1

Lets see if you can tell me what all the items are in this pic stormy ( more like a drizzle ), not counting the knifes, lighter, and ferro rods.

While you ponder and run a web search, I will sitting outside enjoying a beer, a cigar, and chatting with my wife about how many people know everything and show nothing. Have a nice night and happy trails on those woods roads.

20190703_212503.jpg

8 minutes ago, DirtTime said:

Lets see if you can tell me what all the items are in this pic stormy ( more like a drizzle ), not counting the knifes, lighter, and ferro rods.

While you ponder and run a web search, I will sitting outside enjoying a beer, a cigar, and chatting with my wife about how many people know everything and show nothing. Have a nice night and happy trails on those woods roads.

20190703_212503.jpg

Looks good I don't normally need all that for the places that I hunt not remote enough.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DirtTime said:

20190703_212503.jpg

Since you are so interested in fire this should interest you buddy 

Edited by Hawk914
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, DirtTime said:

20190703_212503.jpg

Is the green knife a mora? I'm thinking of getting there 511 or classic #2 I still have to test the knives I have but it doesn't take much arm twisting to pick up another few.

23 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Thanks I just ordered a pocket book and got side tracked by an old trapping book,I'll look into that book next.

I'm getting pretty good with knots.I have a piece of cord with me at work that I practice with.

This is starting to become a new hobby for me.

My instructor was telling me that he now carries an oven roasting bag to use to boil water in his "pocket" survival kit. As long as its over coals and not flames, it can handle the heat enough to boil water. Bit awkward, though, as it doesn't hold it's shape like the foil. Maybe carry both?
Foil serves multiple purposes. Also work as a halfway decent reflector for signaling. Also it can be wrapped around limbs for way point navigation to back tracking if need be. Especially with flashlights.

Finally for some it makes a nice tin foil hat so the gobmint can't find ya. Lmao

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

On 7/3/2019 at 9:57 PM, Hawk914 said:

Looks good I don't normally need all that for the places that I hunt not remote enough.   

Way to go not answering the question, another fail. I don't carry all of that that on every trip either, but I know what will work for me and what won't in specific conditions. Done with you and your roadside and trail head pics. Have a great life! You like to wear a mask and I hear ANTIFA is hiring! Buh-bye!

On 7/4/2019 at 9:20 AM, rachunter said:

Is the green knife a mora? I'm thinking of getting there 511 or classic #2 I still have to test the knives I have but it doesn't take much arm twisting to pick up another few.

No that's not a Mora. That's actually a $10 Camillus Titanium I bought at Wal-Mart. I was curious because I heard more then a few people say titanium will not throw a solid spark from a ferro rod ( pretty sure I have stated this three times now ) so I bought the knife and tested it. That knife throws great sparks from a ferro rod, it will need a good sharpening to get really good shavings or a feather sticks, batonning real hard wood was a task, but for $10, that knife goes above and beyond what most would expect at that price point

Edited by DirtTime
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, DirtTime said:

Way to go not answering the question, another fail. I don't carry all of that that on every trip either, but I know what will work for me and what won't in specific conditions. Done with you and your roadside and trail head pics. Have a great life! You like to wear a mask and I hear ANTIFA is hiring! Buh-bye!

No that's not a Mora. That's actually a $10 Camillus Titanium I bought at Wal-Mart. I was curious because I heard more then a few people say titanium will not throw a solid spark from a ferro rod ( pretty sure I have stated this three times now ) so I bought the knife and tested it. That knife throws great sparks from a ferro rod, it will need a good sharpening to get really good shavings or a feather sticks, batonning real hard wood was a task, but for $10, that knife goes above and beyond what most would expect at that price point

You don't know  what birch bark is ?

Or the other stuff you carry then  why do you carry it ? 

I'm not even a survival expert and I know that ?

Never claimed to be either on here .

Don't know why you think I am .

Just use a lighter already  or   bring two  MacGyver and something that burns easy Like Char cloth  .

You want my blessing or something? 

Edited by Hawk914

09c414907cb01dc9f46d7e9ec273e329.jpg
So far these three knives have held up(no batoning) but they throw sparks carve and cut rope. All three are easy to maintain there blade with a stone. I think I’m going to add a carbon steel mora.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

I’m not that hard core but would like to get into some survival hikes and hunts requiring those skills: so what’s the vasaline and cotton balls for anyway? 8)

There for starting a fire. They burn hot. I’m not die hard and hope to never need to use any of this stuff. I just started hunting up in the ADK’s and want to be prepared if something happens and I need to spend the night or three. I’ll always start with a lighter then matches the ferro rod is a last resort. My luck the spring will pop out of the lighter. The matches will get damp and the ferro rod will snap. Lol

I am not someone who backpacks into wild country for extended periods camping out with a tent and sleeping in a sleeping bag. My jaunts be they hunting, hiking or scouting day or night are planned for extended hours at most not days so I do not carry a lot of so called survival gear. I do have most of the items mentioned in this thread and it was fun learning how to use them but for the activities I have done mostly I stick with the basic items I previously mentioned along with something I forgot to mention, a high quality lightweight light source. The long burning compact and light weight LED lights available today are great, both flashlights and headlamps.

What I do carry depends on what activity I am involved in and what I consider to be essential and try to keep the weight down. I have come to rely of various multiple pocket outdoor vests of different styles to carry these items, some are light weight material for warm weather others are heavier and made to keep me warm. All are very comfortable and make carrying many small field items including hand guns with some styles easy and secure.

For me the two most important things I have actually used with frequency is a lighter to get a fire going and a good compass. The good old reliable Zippo windproof outdoor lighter is something I have been sold on for a long time especially learning in my younger days I could light a cigar going down the road on a motorcycle with no problem. As with any equipment they have to be properly maintained and as long as they are they are infallible. Spent a lot of time in the woods Coon hunting and made many little fires when taking a break with zero problem using a Zippo with just natural tinder.

By the way on July 4th I have family over for a big cookout, I have one of those firepits and the kids do the marshmallow smores thing. When making the fire I decided for the heck of it to try Stormy's suggestion of using some flammable fluid. Got the Zippo lighter and the little Zippo field fuel on the go kit out which I have for just keeping the lighter maintained, gathered up some twigs and pine needles and put a few drips of fluid on the pile and touched it off, Easy Peasy ignition and fire was going and being used in a few minutes. 

Yes the reality is I could have started the fire without the fluid by just using the dry tinder, first time I have ever used fluid and it worked well, would be handy in less than ideal wet conditions in getting a fire started. Bottom line is flammable fluid can be carried safely and easily to start a campfire if one wants to do it.

Al

2019-07-09_064156.png

Edited by airedale
  • Like 3

Al

2019-07-09_064156.png.4b9229fdae9d2d43c3d59d178fdcfa1f.png

My biggest concern is while hunting it’s normally cold and by the time I realize I’m in for the night my hand will be to cold to deal with fire starting. Right now I’m trying to perfect the three methods I mentioned in all weather conditions. The cold weather will have to wait, but in the meantime I’ll give nighttime and rainy conditions a shot.

• Like 1

I have found that an old metal file will get some real good sparks off the ferro rods I have, like them better than any of my knives, they are cheap and come in all sizes. I had an old one laying around, put it in a vice and snapped it into a convenient size for carrying.

Al

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, airedale said:

I have found that an old metal file will get some real good sparks off the ferro rods I have, like them better than any of my knives, they are cheap and come in all sizes. I had an old one laying around, put it in a vice and snapped it into a convenient size for carrying.

Al

Agree 100%.  That's why a tool like a Leatherman or a Swiss Army is great to have and probably more valuable than the Bowie knife some want to lug along.  I've got a Leatherman with a file and works great as a striker.

Edited by steve863

1 hour ago, steve863 said:

Agree 100%.  That's why a tool like a Leatherman or a Swiss Army is great to have and probably more valuable than the Bowie knife some want to lug along.  I've got a Leatherman with a file and works great as a striker.

Steve, with all respect, it depends on what you are using the knife for. If you are using it to build primitive shelters and tools using wood, You want the "Bowie" knife, not the Leatherman. If it is made of carbon steel and had a 90 degree edge at the top, it will work fine as a striker for a ferro rod. Me, personally, for a pure survival situation, if I had to pick between the two, I would go with a full-tang knife over a Leatherman. As a handyman, "camping" or supplemental survival knife/tool, Leatherman's are great, especially for making traps and snares.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Hawk914 said:

You don't know  what birch bark is ?

Or the other stuff you carry then  why do you carry it ? 

I'm not even a survival expert and I know that ?

Never claimed to be either on here .

Don't know why you think I am .

Just use a lighter already  or   bring two  MacGyver and something that burns easy Like Char cloth  .

You want my blessing or something? 

I know what every item in my pic is, and the circumstances where one would be better over the other. But seeing you still aren't answering the question I make the assessment you have no clue. Keep typing. I go out and do, not just post other peoples videos.

13 hours ago, old man river said:

Hawk has a valid point here.

Does he? What point? Can you tell me what the items are in my pic William?

To both of you, stop taking turns humping each others leg and go primitive/backwoods camping for at least a night, then come back and chime in. You make a cute couple but it gets old fast.

58 minutes ago, DirtTime said:

I know what every item in my pic is, and the circumstances where one would be better over the other. But seeing you still aren't answering the question I make the assessment you have no clue. Keep typing. I go out and do, not just post other peoples videos.

Does he? What point? Can you tell me what the items are in my pic William?

To both of you, stop taking turns humping each others leg and go primitive/backwoods camping for at least a night, then come back and chime in. You make a cute couple but it gets old fast.

Well  golly gee  

I don't know 

Looks like part of a meth lab  kit . :)

is there something you want to tell us ? 

Edited by Hawk914
  • Like 1

This is some things I keep in a pack, in my truck. When hunting in cold weather, or big woods, the amount of crap and the size of the pack goes up.

Paracord, lifestraw, lighters & candles, winter hat, space blanket, books, snacks and first aid stuff, are a must have for me.

The lighters are all full, and I swap the granola bars out every year. I hope the lifestraw works, but am not going to test it.

0709191921.jpg

Edited by Skillet
  • Like 6

I carry a leatherman everyday,but I wouldn’t want to cut up tinder and such with it. Maybe in a pinch. Sometimes I over think things the hacksaw blade or a piece of file like AL mentioned is a good option.
I’m picking up some good info here keep it coming

• Like 2