Does you survival gear work??

rachunter

not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but another good, but can be expensive idea is to buy items with dual uses. For example, I have a large gerber knife that could be a small machete but also filet a fish. It wouldn't be ideal for either, but saves from carrying both. Also on the knife is a built in compass, bottle/can opener and there's a a removable flint fire starter in the handle. I have backup for some of these things as well, but when you're really talking about day trip survival and not "pack the kids up and drive" type survival, you'll be regretting the extra weight quickly. Lots of food prep equipment can be handled this way too with things like multi-tool style cutlery and filtering straws that can be reused over and over.

also not sure if i saw this, but I keep 2 items that are battery powered with hand crank backups. A weather/fm/am radio that i keep charged, but also can charge via solar and hand crank. It auto-tunes to emergency channels. And a similar style hand crank flashlight. I of course have a nice led battery flashlight, but the hand crank is a solid option. As a type this, I should check to see if i can find a handcrank battery charger for rechargeable double A's. That might be even more efficient.

Edited by Belo
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, left field said:

You could afford bread? Lucky!

When I was a kid, white bread was 25 cents a loaf or five for a dollar. It was a big day when my mother showed up with five loaves.

Anyway, back to the program. 

Most people who get lost and perish do so from exposure and that's usually because they're not dressed for the weather. Cotton kills, wet cotton kills quicker.

Most of the SAR reports that I've read tell of people not prepared for the weather near the summits.  A 70⁰ day at the trailhead is all fine and dandy, but the weather can turn nasty in a hurry at 4000'+.  Mt. Washington in particular can be especially brutal.  The lack of proper gear for hiking in freezing temps, rain, snow and wind chills has killed people.  

Just last month an 80 year old man nearly died on Mt. Washington from exposure.  He lacked the proper gear for hiking at the higher elevations and may be sent the bill for the rescue effort.   https://www.pressherald.com/2019/06/18/hiker-rescued-from-mt-washington-may-have-to-foot-the-bill/

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I haven’t been on in a while but how is there 130 posts on survival and stormy hasn’t passed on all of his wisdom?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He tried, he failed, miserably I may add.

What I am carrying on that trip to the ADK's is still very light weight. Like I said, it may seem like a lot, but it really isn't. For me it's all about peace of mind. I won't be just stopping by a trail head to take a pic, there are no trail heads were I'm headed. I will most likely be strolling about 5-7 miles out per hunt on that trip. That may not be as much as some can do, but that's my goal with a back that after 5 miles is screaming in pain, but I want to push it, so I am being prepared if my back gives out and I can't walk back.

I again want to mention relying solely on gear that needs batteries or even solar power isn't a good idea. But, I digress, I can explain why this is, but I can't understand it for you.

I prefer carabiners to secure a tarp shelter, mainly because they can serve multiple proposes.

It takes time to develop a kit that works for you in this type of situation, trial and error, this was a great piece of gear, this sucked, that was great, that sucked.....

Set up your gear for where you hunt/hike and the terrain.

Sorry, again, I am going to say this, don't just read books, get and practice those skills. I know, "broken record", but ya know what, this is one broken record that might save your live.

• Like 2

What I am carrying on that trip to the ADK's is still very light weight. Like I said, it may seem like a lot, but it really isn't. For me it's all about peace of mind. I won't be just stopping by a trail head to take a pic, there are no trail heads were I'm headed. I will most likely be strolling about 5-7 miles out per hunt on that trip. That may not be as much as some can do, but that's my goal with a back that after 5 miles is screaming in pain, but I want to push it, so I am being prepared if my back gives out and I can't walk back.

I again want to mention relying solely on gear that needs batteries or even solar power isn't a good idea. But, I digress, I can explain why this is, but I can't understand it for you.

I prefer carabiners to secure a tarp shelter, mainly because they can serve multiple proposes.

It takes time to develop a kit that works for you in this type of situation, trial and error, this was a great piece of gear, this sucked, that was great, that sucked.....

Set up your gear for where you hunt/hike and the terrain.

Sorry, again, I am going to say this, don't just read books, get and practice those skills. I know, "broken record", but ya know what, this is one broken record that might save your live.

If you’re going in that far with a bad back what’s your plan for getting a deer out if you get one?

Most anyone can hike that far but getting a deer out from that far in is a completely different story!

• Like 2

21 hours ago, goosifer said:

No. Can do 30 days at a time, or annually. See https://explore.garmin.com/en-CA/inreach/ towards the bottom of the page. Looks like as low as$20 for 30 days of basic coverage.

From the website:

• Monthly Freedom plans are ideal for your next adventure or seasonal use, requiring only a 30-day commitment with the ability to suspend service when you don’t need it.
  • Annual contract plans a
  • re great for year-round use, with lower monthly cost and peace of mind that your inReach device is always ready to use.

Thanks i'm going to do a little more research,but it's something i'd like to have. Does the explorer have the birdseye like the gpsmap 66i? I'd love to have that feature on my gps 

22 hours ago, Northcountryman said:

That Inreach Explorer thing sounds pretty good to me , will it work anywhere  ? 

In general, as long as you have a clear view of the sky, it can communicate with the satellite network. In certain parts of the globe, there may not be satellite coverage, like by the North pole.

Most often I do not go past where I feel I can get out in a reasonable time after dark.   That said I have been stuck in the dark more often then I care to mention.  If I do end up staying overnight I have enough fire proof matches, 5 small boxes, 1 mini bic, 1 disposable adjustable, 1 mini torch plus a small packet of fire starter to have a fire.  Other must have implements that go into my hunting day pack for the Adirondacks:  Most of this must be in a sealed zip-lock bag or container:  TP!, Lanyard with GPS and glow in the dark compass, feral rod, first aid kit must be water proof!, 3 flashlights just because, drag rope, 2 way radio (Now that and GPS is one unit but I still like the older ones display so I still use it.), emergency blanket.  Batteries for GPS with at least one flashlight having same batteries.  (Others are lithium.)  I usually bring a fat sandwich, energy bar and or bag of trail mix along with 3 drinks, water, soda and Gatorade.  Water is first to go by 10 am and soda is next at 11-12 ish I often don't get to the Gatorade unless covering some good ground.  I like to have 2 knives, one small one and another spare of some type, otherwise I sometimes just bring one good folding knife.  Hot seat is attached to day pack.   

The Pic below shows a lightened day pack when I was able to get a brute of an 8 pointer in 2010.  From left to right, drag strap with water proof lithium battery holder on top, 2 flashlights above, left is gutting gloves and hand warmers, top is GPS with glow in the dark compass and deer can calls, Tupperware for sandwich, extra bullets, bloody knife, middle is knife sheath, pen, above is lighter not sure what is behind it, gutting gloves, trail mix, extra batteries and radio, day pack is in the box on left side.  Other stuff I bring when really cold, rain/snow or high wind is expected.  Large sweat pants and parker along with waterproof rain gear in camo, gloves and socks.  I usually like to have an extra compass and knife and if I know I will be in deep late an extra flashlight and head strap for it. 

Most important thing to do in a survival situation is not to panic or make rash decisions.  Mother nature can be amazing and beautiful but also cold and cruel when slapped with the reality of survival. 

2010NFA.avi_001967033.png

Edited by NFA-ADK
  • Like 2

On 7/12/2019 at 9:52 PM, Buckmaster7600 said:

If you’re going in that far with a bad back what’s your plan for getting a deer out if you get one?

Most anyone can hike that far but getting a deer out from that far in is a completely different story!

Hiking that far doesn't always mean you are going to be 7 miles deep. You can walk as far as I mentioned and really never be more then a mile from where you parked.

Quartering the deer will take a lot of weight as the bones and pelt make up for much of the weight on deer.

Have a plan in my head, but that plan really has nothing to do with if your gear works.

Edited by DirtTime
spelling

I didn’t feel comfortable trying to light a fire in the woods. It’s to dry and I don’t want to take a chance. I found some punk wood this morning and decided to give it a shot in my fire pit. I tried the punk wood with the ferro rod. It seemed to want to light,but after a few minutes I added a Vaseline cotton ball one spark and fire. Was lite. I also pulled a piece of rope apart and tried that it took a few shots but I got it going. I’m going to grind up some punk wood and vacuum seal it.
3d819520c23b60beb1790ead60119eee.jpg9fbf3f22b19e2b06a65f138063af25ad.jpg77186a9d1ca32bcae545239a7fb3311b.jpg

• Like 3

Hiking that far doesn't always mean you are going to be 7 miles deep. You can walk as far as I mentioned and really never be more then a mile from where you parked.
Quartering the deer will take a lot of weight as the bones and pelt make up for much of the weight on deer.

Have a plan in my head, but that plan really has nothing to do with if your gear works.

You’ll be hoping your gear works when you’re standing next to a buck a mile from your truck.

Having packed out a handful of adk bucks I can tell you it still sucks. Unless you’re going to carry a frame pack all day or walk back to camp/your truck to get a frame pack carrying meat and horns out of the woods isn’t much fun. If possible I would much rather drag but sometimes it’s just not possible.

Was reading the latest issue of Fur, Fish & Game and a fellow gave instructions on how to get a fire going in rainy conditions using a small 9 volt battery and fine steel wool. Roll the steel wool into a fine rope and touch both ends to the 9 volt battery terminals and it will glow red and is hot enough to set dry tinder on fire.

I just happened to have those items readily available and just gave it a try and sure enough the steel wool glowed red hot and would surely catch on dry fine tinder. Gloves are a good idea when doing this as you can get a burn. 

Just another possible option to start a fire.

Al

• Like 2

Finished my pack today. Still need to add reading glasses and upgrade the blankets there a little cheesy.

Put together a few tinder packs,cotton balls/Vaseline and magnesium shavings taped up in ziplock bags.

Went with a mora “kansbol” knife it throws a great spark. Cavers woods and cuts cord. Stainless steel.

No to happy with the pot going to look for a stainless one that I can put the pack in.

Not included in the pictures in an ax,saw and my other hunting gear. Total weight of the pack is 2lbs. 6oz. Not a problem for me to carry.

4eb08293b0021936966af50903b4a13c.jpg&key=5ee3cf70146b1f4cd4489283c92a9dfe5f86b6dd7f84824fd8cd8c61c3cff023600accdfdc522bc1cf451f54a7adbcf3.jpg&key=e283bbd1a8ad54abf0f6a7b53b2a745be93f65a2276e6b81a0870636a178ed220e38c106a80731ca1878d1c1af64dcdf.jpg&key=438f1b53b72dff97e7de614f9ee09953d33ae18175c49a1599227fcf9d58e260

Thanks for all the help appreciate it!!!

• Like 3

Finished my pack today. Still need to add reading glasses and upgrade the blankets there a little cheesy.
Put together a few tinder packs,cotton balls/Vaseline and magnesium shavings taped up in ziplock bags.
Went with a mora “kansbol” knife it throws a great spark. Cavers woods and cuts cord. Stainless steel.
No to happy with the pot going to look for a stainless one that I can put the pack in.
Not included in the pictures in an ax,saw and my other hunting gear. Total weight of the pack is 2lbs. 6oz. Not a problem for me to carry.
4eb08293b0021936966af50903b4a13c.jpg&key=5ee3cf70146b1f4cd4489283c92a9dfe5f86b6dd7f84824fd8cd8c61c3cff023600accdfdc522bc1cf451f54a7adbcf3.jpg&key=e283bbd1a8ad54abf0f6a7b53b2a745be93f65a2276e6b81a0870636a178ed220e38c106a80731ca1878d1c1af64dcdf.jpg&key=438f1b53b72dff97e7de614f9ee09953d33ae18175c49a1599227fcf9d58e260
Thanks for all the help appreciate it!!!

What kind of pack are you putting it in, how are you going to keep everything from making noise while walking?

11 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Silly question: why not just pack a mini Bic lighter instead of the heavier fire starters in your packs ?

Where’s the fun in that? 

The only thing that caught my eye was the spoon/fork/knife set. I bought one of those when I was 11 and quickly realised that it was useless for cutting food as the fork can’t be used at the same time as the knife. There are light-weight utensils that lock-pack together but allow for separate use. 

Anyway, looks like you’re set. Here’s hoping you get lost in the woods. 

23 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

What kind of pack are you putting it in, how are you going to keep everything from making noise while walking?

It all fits in that molly pack tight.I've tossed it around not much noise at all. I use a few different backpacks,but my main one is a crookedhorn outfitters I've been using it for 20+ years and haven't found any better.I tried a sling pack last year but it was very uncomfortable..

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Silly question: why not just pack a mini Bic lighter instead of the heavier fire starters in your packs ?

Look up by the pot there's two vac sealed.They'll be the first thing I use but everything I read says to have three sources of fire starting.

• Like 1