I am ready early this year

BowmanMike

I got a new string on my bow today,got lighted nocks and new broadheads and arrows,i am trying those skinny armor piercing ones. I shot the new arrows with broadheads and lighted nocks attached and everything is dead on. 

My equipment is 100% ready this year,now i need to just shoot a lot. I generally am barely looking at deer after the season ends,but they are starting to look tasty now.

I still have to switch a few stands around and clear some shooting lanes,but i should be in good shape come October.

I am doing everything in my power to insure a better season this fall than i had last year, it shouldn't really be hard to do better than that,it was the worst season ever for me.

How are you guys doin?

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

Skinny arrows ? Curious which ones you went with. 

I have to look at them in the morning,the shaft is half the diameter of the regular carbon arrows. The tip flares out to accept the field points/broadheads,and i think it is the same for the nock end. The guy at my shop says their penetration is ridiculous. They were the same price as my gold tip arrows.

I will post some pics tomorrow.

When carbon arrows first came out, they used a aluminum adapter that slid over the shaft as the shaft wasn't large enough to accept a standard insert.  

The problem with those aluminum adapters is they bent very easily.  Wasn't a issue using a bag target, but hit a solid 3D target and after a few shots, the adapter would bend.  They were glued on with epoxy as the Fletch Tite wouldn't hold.  So basically unless you left the shaft a little longer so you could cut the adapter off and install a new one, you were out of luck. 

12 hours ago, BowmanMike said:

I got a new string on my bow today,got lighted nocks and new broadheads and arrows,i am trying those skinny armor piercing ones. I shot the new arrows with broadheads and lighted nocks attached and everything is dead on. 

My equipment is 100% ready this year,now i need to just shoot a lot. I generally am barely looking at deer after the season ends,but they are starting to look tasty now.

I still have to switch a few stands around and clear some shooting lanes,but i should be in good shape come October.

I am doing everything in my power to insure a better season this fall than i had last year, it shouldn't really be hard to do better than that,it was the worst season ever for me.

How are you guys doin?

Good for you Mike! I honestly feel that preparation is the golden key to deer hunting success, for most areas. And especially if you had a down season the year before!

You got your bow shooting good. Now just shoot and shoot some more. That will boost your confidence big time going in to October!

The other thing would be to think about, and perhaps tweak your stand selections. And possibly find a new set up or two, that will put deer closer to, and in front of you a little more often? You know the property, and have a good idea of what I'm talking about.

Have fun until the season. Best of luck to you during it!!

Just put new strings on my bow last month. I have to put some speed knocks at the bottom by the cam, and then paper tune it. Once I get that done, Ill be all ready. Im thinking of buying a new sight, but that should be easy to set up. Im thinking of hunting out of a tree saddle this year, so im going to start practicing with that. 

36 minutes ago, ATbuckhunter said:

Just put new strings on my bow last month. I have to put some speed knocks at the bottom by the cam, and then paper tune it. Once I get that done, Ill be all ready. Im thinking of buying a new sight, but that should be easy to set up. Im thinking of hunting out of a tree saddle this year, so im going to start practicing with that. 

I always thought the tree saddle was a neat idea,  but I dont think i would last long at all. let us know how you like it.

• Like 1

Just now, kpkot said:

I always thought the tree saddle was a neat idea,  but I dont think i would last long at all. let us know how you like it.

I thought the same, but the more I research it the more I hear people saying they stay all day when they couldnt do that in a tree stand 

It’s important those
Speed nocks are in the right spot, if you’re not sure ask on AT and someone will have your exact rig and measure for you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

It’s important those
Speed nocks are in the right spot, if you’re not sure ask on AT and someone will have your exact rig and measure for you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ill have to look into that. I  never really thought about it to be honest

Got a few  dozen arrows through my “ new” bow, shooting fine, I’d be confident hunting with it today .

The peep is at about a 45 though ... I can still see the pins and shoot fine ( just have to peep, through the peep ), but I guess I, should have it on proper for lower light .

1 hour ago, BeIo said:

Got a few  dozen arrows through my “ new” bow, shooting fine, I’d be confident hunting with it today .

The peep is at about a 45 though ... I can still see the pins and shoot fine ( just have to peep, through the peep ), but I guess I, should have it on proper for lower light .

You might have to put a twist in or take a twist out. A pro shop should know what to do 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BeIo said:

My peep used to twist on my old bow,i had to have it adjusted, it was too much of a pain to deal with it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, grampy said:

Good for you Mike! I honestly feel that preparation is the golden key to deer hunting success, for most areas. And especially if you had a down season the year before!

You got your bow shooting good. Now just shoot and shoot some more. That will boost your confidence big time going in to October!

The other thing would be to think about, and perhaps tweak your stand selections. And possibly find a new set up or two, that will put deer closer to, and in front of you a little more often? You know the property, and have a good idea of what I'm talking about.

Have fun until the season. Best of luck to you during it!!

Absolutely agree with you grampy. I think i may build a few ground blinds in some promising spots and i also want to set up some spots with a friend for our climbing stands. One of us will climb up and direct the other to clear branches and twigs. I also want to set up a few stands in different spots,i never got around to it last year. I am putting one close to the area where i saw the monster buck opening day of gun season last year.

I have an old wild apple orchard at my house and want to set up a ground blind down in there. The last couple of years the apples were gone before bow season ,so i hope that will be different this year. That can be a huge draw,and there is a nice spot that has thick cover to one side,i would just have to brush in the front. There is a spot where the deer jump the 4' woven wire fence between my and my neighbors pasture,exactly 25 yds from the blind site.

Last year was odd around here because the food sources were so sparse,i think the deer ate in October the way they eat in January generally,browsing far and wide.

I am curious what this fall will bring.

• Like 1

Moved a stand in January and bought a new stand but haven't done a thing yet including shoot the bow.  But once August comes cams out and a bit of shooting for practice. I actually find I practice less but only shoot with practice braodheads and it seems I tweek stuff less and shoot better. 

Have two stands to move and one new one to put up before season though.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not.

I'm back after my annual hiatus now. You guys will end up seeing more of me in coming weeks, then I'll go into hibernation again in december hehe

I have not shot my bow in months. Will get to it soon I am sure ;) Good news is that it looks like we may be moving so that I can actually, finally shoot my bow in the backyard.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Core said:

I'm not.

I'm back after my annual hiatus now. You guys will end up seeing more of me in coming weeks, then I'll go into hibernation again in december hehe

I have not shot my bow in months. Will get to it soon I am sure ;) Good news is that it looks like we may be moving so that I can actually, finally shoot my bow in the backyard.

That is the most broken law in ny. Cant tell you how many I see shooting in their yards in the suburbs..

• Like 1

5 hours ago, G-Man said:

That is the most broken law in ny. Cant tell you how many I see shooting in their yards in the suburbs..

What I’m a good 15 or  maybe 20 feet from my neighbors house when  I shoot ! 

You can bow hunt 150 yards from a house , so I only need permission from two neighbors in each direction to shoot in my yard , none of them care  they think bows are a toy , and I’m a swell guy ! When I shot in my driveway of  my house in the city of Roch. I’ve had cops wave when they drove by ,hunters I guess .

Id say speeding is the most broken law, well that and lying on tax forms , but that’s built in the system.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, BeIo said:

What I’m a good 15 or  maybe 20 feet from my neighbors house when  I shoot ! 

You can bow hunt 150 yards from a house , so I only need permission from two neighbors in each direction to shoot in my yard , none of them care  they think bows are a toy , and I’m a swell guy ! When I shot in my driveway of  my house in the city of Roch. I’ve had cops wave when they drove by ,hunters I guess .

Id say speeding is the most broken law, well that and lying on tax forms , but that’s built in the system.

Dont forget across the street and behind permission.. just saying it's been done for ever but it's against law, then factor in the town no discharge laws... lol

And every arrow shot is a violation.. lol

Edited by G-Man
  • Like 1